facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old November 26, 2006, 11:17 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me
Default Rtv & Ntv & ফালু

মোসাদ্দেক ফালু NTV পরিচালক, এটা পুরান খবর,
কিন্ত RTV টা কি ফালুর?

How come it possible? Same person is the owner of two private TV channel.

Old November 26, 2006, 11:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

I think he has some share on Rtv but he is not the owner. I think Basundora group owns Rtv.
Old November 26, 2006, 11:41 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Omio, Rupert Mardoch is owner of at least 20+ TV Channels and 20+ leading newspapers.

It is very much possible. An enterpreneur can own as many industries as he wants.

BTW, I don't know about ownership of RTV.
Old November 26, 2006, 12:09 PM
ODI Cricketer

if Rupert Mardoch can be the owner of so many TV channels then why our Fallllu bhai cant be the owner of 2 TV channels??.........and also some days back he declared that soon there will be another channel NTV Plus........i guess he didnt have time to open that channel.....
Old November 26, 2006, 01:07 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Omio: That's what is commonly known as media oligopoly. In the US, do you know how many media outlets Time Warner owns? Just to name a few are CNN, Warner Brothers studio, Sports Illustrated and AOL Instant Messaging. You can find the complete list here.

Right now in Canada, cable giant Rogers owns the MacLean-Hunter magazine properties and Toronto Blue Jays, Rogers Center (previously known as Sky Dome), a number of radio stations (including CFMT), television broadcaster CanWest Global owns the Southam papers, and Bell Canada Enterprises owns CTV and The Globe and Mail. Although the list looks small, you'll be surprised to see how many chain ownership (the way I call it) there is.

This is also related to the DS thread a few days ago. Really, are we getting the true stories? If Time Warner owns over 100 media outlets, all their stories are gonna be the same. If they're all biased (like CNN), then you can't blame the Americans to not know the hard facts about the war in Iraq, Afghanistan, and what not. The same's happening to BD.

Shobur koro bondhu. It'll be worse in the coming days.
Old November 26, 2006, 01:53 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabir
This is also related to the DS thread a few days ago. Really, are we getting the true stories? If Time Warner owns over 100 media outlets, all their stories are gonna be the same. If they're all biased (like CNN), then you can't blame the Americans to not know the hard facts about the war in Iraq, Afghanistan, and what not. The same's happening to BD.
I'm interested to know if that means NTV is biased towards gov't/BNP?
Old November 26, 2006, 07:56 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatebreed
I'm interested to know if that means NTV is biased towards gov't/BNP?
I'm don't know about Falu, but here's a rule of thumb which you can pretty much apply anywhere for any media outlet in this world. Given that the owner, big shareholder, chairman, board of directors, or whatever can have SOME influence on its programming, there will ALWAYS be a bias. This started before the Nazis, and is still in practice. So, to cut the long story short, if there's a presence of any political figure in NTV (and as you're mentioning about BNP), then sorry to say...yes NTV could be biased.

Having said all this, I should mention that I haven't watched NTV a great deal (just some dvd natoks ) and so I don't know anything about their programming.
Old November 26, 2006, 09:02 PM
Banned

Falu is 1 of the owner, coz yesterday I watched it on RTV news.
Old November 26, 2006, 09:09 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

I watch nTV news almost everyday and I didn't notice any bias. They give coverage to both BNP and BAL. They even give coverage to smaller party. I enjoy most of their news items and reports.
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old November 26, 2006, 09:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Omio, Rupert Mardoch is owner of at least 20+ TV Channels and 20+ leading newspapers.

It is very much possible. An enterpreneur can own as many industries as he wants.

BTW, I don't know about ownership of RTV.
heheheh...its not 20+ Miraz bhai its at least 80+ because hw owns Sky in the UK, Star in Asia and America thus these networks got hundreds of channels like star movies, star sports, sky movies, sky sports and so on.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old November 26, 2006, 09:56 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Quote:
I'm don't know about Falu, but here's a rule of thumb which you can pretty much apply anywhere for any media outlet in this world. Given that the owner, big shareholder, chairman, board of directors, or whatever can have SOME influence on its programming, there will ALWAYS be a bias. This started before the Nazis, and is still in practice. So, to cut the long story short, if there's a presence of any political figure in NTV (and as you're mentioning about BNP), then sorry to say...yes NTV could be biased.

Having said all this, I should mention that I haven't watched NTV a great deal (just some dvd natoks ) and so I don't know anything about their programming.
TBH, I think NTV is the first and only Bangladeshi channel so far that seems fair and balanced in its news reporting and coverage of all political parties and events. Even some pro-AL people I know agree in that respect. That's why I asked. Since you haven't watched a 'great deal' of NTV, you can't be sure the "same's happening to BD". It's your preconceived notion.

Besides, the bias of those international media outlets you speak of are far more significant, because what Americans see/hear/read and believe consequentially affect the whole world. The difference is even if the media is biased, Bangladeshis are already and constantly aware of the corruption and political chaos happening in the country.
Old November 26, 2006, 11:50 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatebreed
TBH, I think NTV is the first and only Bangladeshi channel so far that seems fair and balanced in its news reporting and coverage of all political parties and events. Even some pro-AL people I know agree in that respect. That's why I asked. Since you haven't watched a 'great deal' of NTV, you can't be sure the "same's happening to BD". It's your preconceived notion.

Besides, the bias of those international media outlets you speak of are far more significant, because what Americans see/hear/read and believe consequentially affect the whole world. The difference is even if the media is biased, Bangladeshis are already and constantly aware of the corruption and political chaos happening in the country.
Great. Agreed.

Honestly speaking, I still think it'll apply anywhere in this world. When you see the news coverage as a whole, and not independently, you should be able to see the difference. Of course, this is somewhat subjective, coz you can only decide by yourself whether you think they're biased or not. From what it sounds Nasif bhai's in agreement with you. Since I haven't watched NTV before, I can't debate with you about it.

About my preconceived notion, I am right about it. I've read tons of materials on mass media and mass communications. So from my knowledge, this is the norm. That's why I mention about alternative media, which thinks of itself as independent and unbiased.

You're right about one thing. North American media has its effects internationally. But BD media has its impact on local people...and the nation as a whole. So you're right about the impact, but you should agree that the bias still has its impact.

And finally, only you feeling that NTV is biased is not the whole thing. You might be surprised to see how many americans believe CNN gives proper news coverage. Just showing coverage about all parties doesn't get them the "MOST TRUSTED" stamp like CNN has earned.
Old November 27, 2006, 01:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Falu is the main owner of RTV, don't know his exact stake in the company. RTV was named after his daughter Roza.
Old November 27, 2006, 02:01 AM
Cricket Legend

As far as being biased or non-biased, it is largely a judgment call in Bangladesh's context. BD politicians AND people will label you 'biased' if any reporting goes against their interest. And who says CNN is 'banalnced'? You need only to compare their reporting on the Middle East with that of BBC's and other international media.
Old November 27, 2006, 03:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by omio
মোসাদ্দেক ফালু NTV পরিচালক, এটা পুরান খবর,
কিন্ত RTV টা কি ফালুর?

How come it possible? Same person is the owner of two private TV channel.
ফালুর মেয়ের নাম রোজা, সেই থেকে আরটিভি

I think he is also working one Channel 1.
Old November 27, 2006, 05:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Is Roza still single?

NTV reporters are hilarious! Especially the live ones. That dude repeats the same "obvious" thing over and over again.

"Ekhoni BAL partir representative ashche, unar gaari dekha jacche.. hmmmm....paa dekha jacche.. uni ekhon amader shamne agie ashchen.. opor dike dekha jacche arekjon er paa... bujha jacche na uni ke...oh yes ekhon dekhte pacchi, ota amader cameraman..."

Last edited by Orpheus; November 27, 2006 at 05:08 AM..
Old November 27, 2006, 06:46 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Ntv, Rtv, Channel 1 ---> the real owner of all these channels is TAREK RAHMAN. Yes, son of our PM.

All these other guys, Falu or Mamun (owner of Channel 1) are direct subordinates working under the strict supervision and guidance Tarek Rahman.

Cuz he has already managed to plunder squzzillions amount of taka from the country, he does not want to come in the front picture, due to obvious political reasons..

Falu is Khaleda's close confident..
and Mamun is Tarek's very close friend...

Need i say more???
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old November 27, 2006, 07:06 AM
Banned

Falu is gonna win his seat in Tejgaon in a landslide victory...
Old November 27, 2006, 07:18 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
Falu is gonna win his seat in Tejgaon in a landslide victory...
billah bhai.... apne ki falu bhai er Elakar bashinda naki??? naki Falu SUpporter :p ?
Old November 27, 2006, 07:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
Is Roza still single?
Orphy vai, u wanna take a chance,,
Old November 27, 2006, 11:35 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
"Ekhoni BAL partir representative ashche, unar gaari dekha jacche.. hmmmm....paa dekha jacche.. uni ekhon amader shamne agie ashchen.. opor dike dekha jacche arekjon er paa... bujha jacche na uni ke...oh yes ekhon dekhte pacchi, ota amader cameraman..."
Old November 27, 2006, 11:40 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
And who says CNN is 'banalnced'? You need only to compare their reporting on the Middle East with that of BBC's and other international media.
Gatekeeper bhai...you're from NY, and I hoped you'ld know it by now. But just in any case, look at average americans, you'll get the idea. They're not stupid, they're just blindfolded by their media. Who says BBC is widely popular in the US?
Old November 27, 2006, 11:49 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by gatekeeper
As far as being biased or non-biased, it is largely a judgment call in Bangladesh's context. BD politicians AND people will label you 'biased' if any reporting goes against their interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney
Ntv, Rtv, Channel 1 ---> the real owner of all these channels is TAREK RAHMAN. Yes, son of our PM.

All these other guys, Falu or Mamun (owner of Channel 1) are direct subordinates working under the strict supervision and guidance Tarek Rahman.

Cuz he has already managed to plunder squzzillions amount of taka from the country, he does not want to come in the front picture, due to obvious political reasons..

Falu is Khaleda's close confident..
and Mamun is Tarek's very close friend...

Need i say more???
This should answer Hatebreed bhai's question?
Old November 27, 2006, 01:26 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

So.. none of you guys actually watched the interview of Tarek Zia in NTV just 2 months back?

That could answer many of your questions you know...!
Old November 27, 2006, 01:52 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Quote:
This should answer Hatebreed bhai's question?
It hasn't because that's not what I asked. My question was: do we assume that channel is biased simply because it is backed or run by a key corporate figure/political associate? I know who Falu is and what kind of role he plays in NTV. That's what makes it interesting, because you'd expect for this reason NTV would be completely biased, but I personally haven't noticed anything suspicious and I want to find out. You said you haven't watched a great deal of NTV, so you based your belief on a popular theory. Fair enough, but that's still a theory unless you can give me precise examples of NTV's bias due to Falu or Tarek's involvement. I'm not surprised at all by how many Americans believe CNN gives proper news coverage, but that's their belief.