facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 4, 2013, 09:03 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Men in Blue
Default David Gower says Australia has no culture.

David Gower describes Australia as 'a country with no culture'

Former England captain David Gower has stoked the fires ahead of this summer's Ashes by describing Australia as a country with no culture and their cricketers of having an "animal mentality".

Gower's comments come ahead of a busy fixture list between the two old rivals, which begins with a Champions Trophy clash at Edgbaston on Saturday and continues with five Tests, two T20 internationals and five more one-day internationals in the coming months. The two nations then do battle again on Australian soil from November to February.

Asked if England's long-standing rivalry with Australia was a clash of cultures, Gower told the Radio Times: "I'm tempted to say, how can you have a clash of cultures when you're playing against a country with no culture? That would almost be sledging."

Read More

Not Cool
Old June 4, 2013, 10:17 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Whats he talking about? Put another shrimp on the barbie mate. Miranda kerr
Old June 4, 2013, 10:56 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

lol, he had too much last night!
Old June 6, 2013, 06:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Is this another fancy way of saying that Australia are crap?
Old June 6, 2013, 06:29 AM
Administrator

That was funny. A good sledge though:

Quote:
Asked if England's long-standing rivalry with Australia was a clash of cultures, Gower told the Radio Times: "I'm tempted to say, how can you have a clash of cultures when you're playing against a country with no culture? That would almost be sledging."
That was almost Gandhi-esque

Quote:
Reporter: What do you think of western civilization? Mahatma Gandhi: I think it would be a good idea.
Old June 6, 2013, 01:53 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

British prisoners have no culture? who knew?
Old July 2, 2013, 11:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

I dare say that many reading this board would have seen much of David Gower as a player. The statistics are not really anything boast about compared to some of the best of today, it is at best respectable, a test average in the 40s and around 8000 test runs, making him the second highest test run scorer for England. But where the stats end the beauty of the game starts, there has not been a single player in the game as graceful as Gower in the postwar generation. The grace went hand in hand with his batting. It was like poetry in motion. I started taking the game seriously only after watching David Gower and to this day remain an ardent supporter of England. There are some players who had come along over the century and half who lifted the game to a level where partisanship and the results simply did not matter. There was so much charm about how they went out their business that all that mattered is that you had witnesses something beautiful.

As a batsman Gower would let you down so often. Yet when in full flow there could not be a more beautiful site.

What of his views of the game or life? Well, he was known to be a little less caring. He was known to have taken more interest in the lunchtime Claret (yes in those days they were allowed a glass with lunch) than what tricks the opposition fast bowler would be up to.

As for Australia and culture, I fear that the two nouns sit uncomfortably within the same sentence. This is why the most cultured Australians have gravitated to other English speaking countries!