facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 26, 2013, 10:22 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
everyone wants naeem back into the ODI side now, wasn't that many series ago where he got that test ton and even got a 50 in ODIs but no one wanted him in the ODI team. spots are tough atm, imo the spots up for grabs in ODIs are #3 and riyad's spot, i'd say the 2 in the running for #3 are mominul and naeem, need to decide who to put there, mominul hasn't been given many chances but hasn't done that well, naeem has been given a lot of chances and hasn't done that well BUT he's older now, he's developed a bit more, he just scored a ton against England A in a list A match and he was never really given chances up the order in his previous try's in ODIs.

my gut is saying have mominul as a back up in ODIs (or maybe take riyad's spot lower down the order) and have him focus more on tests, and have naeem at #3 in ODIs since he's in good form and this can be naeem's make or break chance in ODIs. in saying that naeem just started doing well in tests, don't want to ruin him in that format, should he focus on tests?

i want shabbir at #7 in ODIs because of his hitting ability but proper batsmanship and his leg spin bowling but he's just so inconsistent with the bat it's hard to justify a place for him.
If Shabbir should be tried, it should be for T20I's. I feel he still has a lot to prove before he gets tries in ODI's and Tests. He needs to prove himself more in the Academy team and then get tries in the A team and making it count before thinking about ODI's and Tests. So it might be a while till Shabbir gets looked at but then again he is very young and has a long time to develop his game.

Old August 26, 2013, 10:22 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
Test XV

1. Tamim
2. Anamul
3. Naeem
4. Riyad
5. Shakib
6. Mushy
7. Nasir
8. Zia
9. Gazi
10. Robiul
11. Al-Amin

Reserves: Sajidul, Elias, Mominul, Shamsur

ODIs

1. Tamim
2. Anamul
3. Naeem
4. Mushy
5. Shakib
6. Nasir
7. Riyad
8. Mash
9. Gazi
10. Razzak
11. Al-Amin

Reserves: Elias, Shafiul, Mominul, Shamsur

I feel that will most likely be the squads. The Test performances will affect some of the ODI selections, especially the pacers. So I'm not quite sure about some of the pace selections but I'm confident about the other spots for the most part.
I'd put mominul in there instead of riyad for tests, although maybe anamul should bat at #3 in tests with mominul or naeem at #4, have no riyad and get someone else to open. Also maybe nazmul over, maybe, and in spinning conditions a spinner instead.
Old August 26, 2013, 10:24 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
If Shabbir should be tried, it should be for T20I's. I feel he still has a lot to prove before he gets tries in ODI's and Tests. He needs to prove himself more in the Academy team and then get tries in the A team and making it count before thinking about ODI's and Tests. So it might be a while till Shabbir gets looked at but then again he is very young and has a long time to develop his game.
As for ODIs I'd try and find other options for naeem and riyad if we could, the rest looks good.

Yeah for sure keep shabbir away from tests, but his bowling and handy hitting could be useful in the shorter formats, though not sure he's ready.
Old August 26, 2013, 10:40 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
I'd put mominul in there instead of riyad for tests, although maybe anamul should bat at #3 in tests with mominul or naeem at #4, have no riyad and get someone else to open. Also maybe nazmul over, maybe, and in spinning conditions a spinner instead.
We could do that too but with Riyad being VC, I highly doubt he'd be out of the Test team. Nazmul might not be ready to go in the NZ series. If he is, then he should definitely be in consideration.
Old August 26, 2013, 10:46 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
We could do that too but with Riyad being VC, I highly doubt he'd be out of the Test team. Nazmul might not be ready to go in the NZ series. If he is, then he should definitely be in consideration.
They should take the VC away from riyad, I know won't happen, you are of course correct as dye to being VC there is no way he'll be left out. Unless of course he's no longer VC.
Old August 26, 2013, 10:53 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
As for ODIs I'd try and find other options for naeem and riyad if we could, the rest looks good.

Yeah for sure keep shabbir away from tests, but his bowling and handy hitting could be useful in the shorter formats, though not sure he's ready.
To be fair with Riyad, he's been a key performer for us in ODI's. This year he's been our 2nd highest scorer along with Tamim. Since last WC, he's been our 5th highest scorer in ODI's with an avg of about a 51 and SR of an 82 although that avg is inflated by the 10 NO's he has. He does have 5 50's in that time period which shows he's getting big scores as well and is right up there alongside Tamim, Shakib, Mushy and Nasir.

As for Naeem, I'd be willing to give him a run at the #3 spot. I believe he could succeed in that position. I know he wasn't great in the WI series at that spot but hopefully this 121 against the Lions will give him confidence for the NZ series.

Like I said for Shabbir, maybe just T20I's. He'd have a hard time making the ODI squad since we're already settled there. The weak link in the team is Mominul but Id' rather have him there then Shabbir since Mominul has already proved himself at the Academy and A team level which Shabbir has yet to do.
Old August 26, 2013, 11:59 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
To be fair with Riyad, he's been a key performer for us in ODI's. This year he's been our 2nd highest scorer along with Tamim. Since last WC, he's been our 5th highest scorer in ODI's with an avg of about a 51 and SR of an 82 although that avg is inflated by the 10 NO's he has. He does have 5 50's in that time period which shows he's getting big scores as well and is right up there alongside Tamim, Shakib, Mushy and Nasir.

As for Naeem, I'd be willing to give him a run at the #3 spot. I believe he could succeed in that position. I know he wasn't great in the WI series at that spot but hopefully this 121 against the Lions will give him confidence for the NZ series.

Like I said for Shabbir, maybe just T20I's. He'd have a hard time making the ODI squad since we're already settled there. The weak link in the team is Mominul but Id' rather have him there then Shabbir since Mominul has already proved himself at the Academy and A team level which Shabbir has yet to do.
naeem has always been this sort of player. one match he'll show in toughest of situations that he can quite nicely play quality bowlers and score runs, in the next match he'll do poorly against poor quality bowlers in the easiest of situations and conditions. i've always thought he's got what it takes but he needs to put it together more often. in saying that i to wouldn't be against giving him a run at #3, what are the other options? mominul probably, or anamul but we need him opening in ODIs imo.

actually i forgot riyad has been quite decent with the bat in ODIs lately, he's been that bad in tests that that's all that really comes to mind when i think of him. fair enough to keep him around in ODIs, as long as he keeps his recent form in that format going.

so with that being said agree with you about shabbir/mominul. shabbir hasn't really proved anything with the bat, if anything he's proved himself more with the ball oddly enough since he's seen much more as a batsman. hopefully he works on his batting a bit, he's starting to bowl more often and he's getting wickets, if he picks up with the bat then we can really talk about him for ODIs, maybe try him in t20Is.
Old August 27, 2013, 12:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Tests:
Tamim
Anamul
Mominul
Shakib
Riyad
Mushy*+
Nasir
Zia
Gazi
Enamul Jr
Robiul
Backup: Shafiul, Jahurul, Taskin

ODIs:
Tamim
Jahurul
Anamul
Shakib
Riyad
Mushy
Nasir
Gazi
Mashrafe/Shafiul
Razzak
Nazmul
Backup: Naeem, Taskin, Robiul
Old August 27, 2013, 12:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Tests:

Tamim
Jahirul
Anamul
Mominul
Shakib
Mushy
Nasir
Gazi
Enamul Jr
Robiul
Nazmul

ODIs

Tamim
Soumya
Anamul
Shakib
Mushy
Nasir
Sabbir
Gazi
Mashrafee
Razzak
Nazmul

I think Taskin should be included for experience and injury cover although he's probably nowhere on the selectors' radar.
Don't tell me you just left out Riyad, even from ODIs.. Why?
Old August 27, 2013, 02:41 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: taskin / anamul

1# tamim iqbal (automatic choice)
2# anamul haque (automatic choice )
3# nasir hossain (automatic choice )
4# mahmudullah last 8 inning in odi ৫২, ৫৬*, ৪৮, ২৯, ৬, ৩৬, ৩১, ৭৫* avg55
5# sakib al hasan (automatic choice)
6# musfiqur rahim cpt
7# ziaur rahman we need him in all format
8# mashrafie mortaza good luck
9# abdur razzak
10 #sohag gazi
11# robirul islam
Old August 27, 2013, 02:42 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakibrulz
shouldn't really be a surprise for tests, his overall test record speaks for itself, bat average just under 28, bowling average of 45. his top 7 batting record in tests helps him even less. he has a case in ODIs due to some very good recent form with the bat.
Old August 27, 2013, 02:42 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
its cz he is hater hehehehehe , btw this is riyad last 8 odi inning ৫২, ৫৬*, ৪৮, ২৯, ৬, ৩৬, ৩১, ৭৫* tell him to look at it
Old August 27, 2013, 02:52 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynemesis
its cz he is hater hehehehehe , btw this is riyad last 8 odi inning ৫২, ৫৬*, ৪৮, ২৯, ৬, ৩৬, ৩১, ৭৫* tell him to look at it
i think if a player who is supposed to primarily be a batsman averages only just above 16 from 14 innings batting in the top 7 then it's fair enough to leave them out of the XI or even the squad. and if he's meant to be an allrounder well then still as i said in my previous post his overall batting record is under 28 and bowling record is 45+, definitely not worthy numbers for a spot in a test XI. tamim, shakib, mushy, nasir, mominul, naeem are all currently averaging 30+ in tests so that's 6 batsman that should be batting inside BDs test top 7 who should be ahead of riyad and that last spot in the top 7 needs to go to an opener which riyad is not. and riyad certainly can't compete as a bowler against the likes of shakib and gazi.

as far as ODIs go, credit where credit is due riyad has done well with the bat lately, still averages over 30 without those innings i believe but considering where he bats his strike rate is no where near high enough. i think batting at #7 which he's done in 60 odd matches out of his 91 his strike rate has been 75, a high average is of course what you want but in ODIs, especially batting 6 or lower you really want someone who can strike at 90+ regularly (or higher). props to riyad for doing well lately (even the strike rate in his last few matches has i think been in the 80s), the 30+ average is good but that strike rate needs to improve if he's going to bat down around #7. all things considered though he probably does deserve a ODI spot, but there's no way you can work his t20 and test numbers in a way where they support him being selected as a top 7 batsman/all rounder.
Old August 27, 2013, 03:44 AM
Club Cricketer

1.Tamim Iqbal
2.Shamsur Rahman
3.Anamul Haque
4.Shakib Al Hasan
5.Mushfiqur Rahim
6.Nasir Hossain
7.Mahmudullah Riyad
8.Shabbir Rahman
9.Mashrafe Mortaza
10.Abdur Razzak/Sohag Gazi
11.Shafiul Islam/Nazmul Hossain
Old August 27, 2013, 04:28 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
He bats too slowly for his position. I'll add Naeem to the squad as England Lions are definitely stronger than ZIM and possibly stronger than WI/NZ/SL main sides as well.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old August 27, 2013, 04:33 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
i think if a player who is supposed to primarily be a batsman averages only just above 16 from 14 innings batting in the top 7 then it's fair enough to leave them out of the XI or even the squad. and if he's meant to be an allrounder well then still as i said in my previous post his overall batting record is under 28 and bowling record is 45+, definitely not worthy numbers for a spot in a test XI. tamim, shakib, mushy, nasir, mominul, naeem are all currently averaging 30+ in tests so that's 6 batsman that should be batting inside BDs test top 7 who should be ahead of riyad and that last spot in the top 7 needs to go to an opener which riyad is not. and riyad certainly can't compete as a bowler against the likes of shakib and gazi.

as far as ODIs go, credit where credit is due riyad has done well with the bat lately, still averages over 30 without those innings i believe but considering where he bats his strike rate is no where near high enough. i think batting at #7 which he's done in 60 odd matches out of his 91 his strike rate has been 75, a high average is of course what you want but in ODIs, especially batting 6 or lower you really want someone who can strike at 90+ regularly (or higher). props to riyad for doing well lately (even the strike rate in his last few matches has i think been in the 80s), the 30+ average is good but that strike rate needs to improve if he's going to bat down around #7. all things considered though he probably does deserve a ODI spot, but there's no way you can work his t20 and test numbers in a way where they support him being selected as a top 7 batsman/all rounder.

yeah i already can tell u are haters of riyad lol , cz i seen u on many post speaking against riyad hehehe , yeahhe average under 28 on test its cz he didnt do well on last couplop test thats why his average drop down to 28 , but if he was making even 20 odd runs his average woudbeen near 35 to 40 on test , everyone has a bad time even sachin too , he is experience in bd team so is expected he will come back in form , and forget about odis cz he is the second highest average in bangladesh team after sakib on batting nearly 100 hunread matches lol , and talking about strike rate i think u missed the last game against zimababwe where his strike rate was more than 100 , and dude most of the times he comes in position where he found bd are in trouble with losing too many wickets early so he try to recover from it , their nothing wrong with that , i understand if u trying to drop him from test but odis like really ? the hate is right their lol , and his bowling average in test 45 near sohag gazi 43 , so now plz dont tell me on the next post that gazi bat better than riyad lol
Old August 27, 2013, 04:43 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
yeah i already can tell u are haters of riyad lol , cz i seen u on many post speaking against riyad hehehe , yeahhe average under 28 on test its cz he didnt do well on last couplop test thats why his average drop down to 28 , but if he was making even 20 odd runs his average woudbeen near 35 to 40 on test , everyone has a bad time even sachin too , he is experience in bd team so is expected he will come back in form , and forget about odis cz he is the second highest average in bangladesh team after sakib on batting nearly 100 hunread matches lol , and talking about strike rate i think u missed the last game against zimababwe where his strike rate was more than 100 , and dude most of the times he comes in position where he found bd are in trouble with losing too many wickets early so he try to recover from it , their nothing wrong with that , i understand if u trying to drop him from test but odis like really ? the hate is right their lol , and his bowling average in test 45 near sohag gazi 43 , so now plz dont tell me on the next post that gazi bat better than riyad lol
wow for 1 game he has a strike rate more than 100, what about his other 90 matches? has a lot of not outs as well which boost his average. and he would average 35-40 if he scored 20 odd runs? do you understand basic maths because unless all those scores are no outs you can't score 20 and average 35-40. as far as gazi V riyad, if you actually watch them bowl you can see the difference, btw gazi averages 37 in tests not 43, he also has 1 4fer and 1 5fer in 6 matches whereas riyad only has 1 5fer in 17 matches. gazi also has a better econ rate and strike rate than riyad and just to add gazi is obviously considered a much better bowler by the other players especially the captain since in his 6 matches he's bowled nearly the same amount of balls riyad has in his whole test career of 17 matches. riyad has bowled 234 more balls than gazi but played 11 more matches, also riyad only has 2 more test wickets (28) to gazi (26) yet gazi has played quite a few less matches than riyad.

and i'm a hater? i did admit that he deserves ODI selection based on recent performances.
Old August 27, 2013, 07:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Jayasuria

Test matches

Tamim
Jahural Islam
Anamul
Naeem
Rahim
Shakib
Nasir
Ziaur Rahman
Sohag Gazi
Robiul Islam
Nazmul Hossain

Subs - Elias Sunny, Mominul Huq/Riyad, Rubel Hossain
Old August 27, 2013, 09:00 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
naeem has always been this sort of player. one match he'll show in toughest of situations that he can quite nicely play quality bowlers and score runs, in the next match he'll do poorly against poor quality bowlers in the easiest of situations and conditions. i've always thought he's got what it takes but he needs to put it together more often. in saying that i to wouldn't be against giving him a run at #3, what are the other options? mominul probably, or anamul but we need him opening in ODIs imo.

actually i forgot riyad has been quite decent with the bat in ODIs lately, he's been that bad in tests that that's all that really comes to mind when i think of him. fair enough to keep him around in ODIs, as long as he keeps his recent form in that format going.

so with that being said agree with you about shabbir/mominul. shabbir hasn't really proved anything with the bat, if anything he's proved himself more with the ball oddly enough since he's seen much more as a batsman. hopefully he works on his batting a bit, he's starting to bowl more often and he's getting wickets, if he picks up with the bat then we can really talk about him for ODIs, maybe try him in t20Is.
Agree with you that Naeem needs to produce in this series. It's his make or break series, if he can perform in this series, he'd be on his way to becoming a regular on the national team but if he doesn't, he'd be back to square 1 and again be a fringe player. Hope he takes his chances this series because it's time he performs.
Old August 27, 2013, 09:08 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Just so you know nynemesis, here is what Riyad said recently about himself. He said, ‘My target is to do consecutive performance, I’m working on it. I’m working a lot for my batting because I didn’t do well in batting for several series. I’m making contact with batting coach Cory Richards and taking his advice.”

http://www.bdcricteam.com/2013/08/fi...t-mahmudullah/

So he himself is admitting that his batting hasn't been the best. Just because Gowza is being critical of him doesn't mean he's a hater. Riyad has been good in ODI's and he deserves to play in that format but his performance in Tests have just not been good enough which is why people have rightly been a bit critical of him. He's a senior player now and it's time he starts clicking in other formats like Tamim, Shakib, Mushy, and Nasir. If he does, then you'll start to see more respect for Riyad.
Old August 27, 2013, 10:37 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

For Test

1. Tamim (auto choice)
2. Anamul (played only 1 test, so needs to have more chances)
3. Naeem (good longer version player)
4. Shakib (auto choice)
5. Mushy (auto choice)
6. Mominul (good longer version player)
7. Nasir (auto choice/plays well in lower order, that's why @ 7)
8. Riyad/ Zia (specialist batsmen OR 3rd seamer option)
9. Gazi/Enam jnr
10. Robiul
11. Rubel/Abul/any other useless seamer

weakness
1. opening combo as Anamul is still very raw
2. weak pace attack
3. less variety in spin - Shakib, Mominul, Enam jnr (all SLA). That's why we need either Riyad/Gazi but I think Enam Jnr is a better test bowler.

strength
1. strong middle order - shakib, mushy, nasir
2. few specialist test players who can grind it out - naeem, mominul.
Old August 27, 2013, 12:03 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

I like Ryad and the way he batted overall in his carreer , to me he is very useful in ODIs, in Tests I'm not so convinced but I think he will be back(in the team) in Tests vs NZ, besides he got a 100 & 80+ something against NZ in Tests, may be the selectors will think of it.

But I'm not too excited to see Ryad in Tests, if he makes it I hope he delivers, but he failed as a top or middle order batsman which is bad for him as we have NAsir/Mominul batting low.
But with DPL starting things can change very quickly, if Ryad shows good form as he is the VC he will get picked in all formats.
Old August 27, 2013, 12:11 PM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

seeing the condition of our seamers, Farhad Reza makes a pretty good case for the test side.
Old August 27, 2013, 05:05 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

My ideal XI would have Hobbs and Gavaskar opening with Bradman coming at No. 3. However, since we are talking about reality, the following should be "automatic" choices.
  1. Tamim
  2. Anamul
  3. Shakib
  4. Mushfiqur
  5. Nasir
  6. Shohag
  7. Robiul

I would want Nazmul Hossain in the team, but we all know that he would not be picked. Enam Jnr should also be in the team. The rest should be chosen based on their form and the format.
Old August 27, 2013, 10:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Miler/warner/Ryder/maxweL

I think this will be the line up in odi

Tamin
Anamul
Naeem
Mominul
Mushy
Shakib
Nasir
Sohag