facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 31, 2005, 10:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Sehwag the Arrogent

Sehwag blasts fellow batsmen for Bangalore defeat

Cricinfo staff

March 31, 2005

Virender Sehwag has said that he was the only batsman capable of leading India to a win in the third Test against Pakistan at Bangalore. In his syndicated column, he has also criticised his fellow batsmen for playing for a draw, and has said that there are many lessons to be learned from it.

Speaking about his run-out, the only wicket of the morning session, he has written, "I was upset at that point because I knew that my dismissal meant that we would not win. I saw myself as the only batsman who could score at four-an-over since the rest of our batsmen are more correct and conventional Test cricketers. In my mind I felt that the rest would be able to draw the game but I was the only one capable of winning it."

The Indians abruptly went on the defensive after Sehwag was out, and this was a key factor in Pakistan's ascendence. Inzamam-ul-Haq, Pakistan's captain, was later to say, "This [India's change in tactics] helped me to set attacking fields. I did not have to worry about giving away runs, and could concentrate on wickets."

Sehwag elaborated, "Perhaps playing for a draw was not such a good idea since most of our batsmen are cast in the strokeplaying mould. Even at tea, the general mood was that we would scratch out a draw. The possibility of defeat dawned on us when Sachin Tendulkar got out. There were still 20 overs left and we knew that the remaining batsmen would not be able to play out time with umbrella fields in operation."

Sourav Ganguly had come under a lot of criticism for both his captaincy and his batting. Sehwag, however, defended him. "I have always found Sourav to be a positive captain," he said. "Whatever his personal form, whatever the media writes about him, he has always been strong, focussed and aggressive at team meetings. Perhaps these are the qualities that make him India's most successful captain."

© Cricinfo

Source: Cricinfo

lol...wat a loser... wasnt he once saying he was gonna score 200 in a ODI... and fall short by only 200 runs?

Edited on, April 1, 2005, 3:07 AM GMT, by chinaman.
Reason: Large font in headline

Old March 31, 2005, 10:29 PM
First Class Cricketer

I beg to differ with u, we cant just call someone a loser who just happen to score over 500 runs in the recent 3 test match series. Although it was rather silly and unnecessary of him to give such a statement about his fellow batsmen. He should keep in mind that like others he will too go through a time in his cricket career when he wont be as attacking as he is now. Perhaps he got a little egocentric after his terrific test series.
Old March 31, 2005, 10:57 PM
Test Cricketer

I don't think Sewag is incorrect in his assesment that he was the only batsman who could've won the match for India. We all saw how things panned out after got out.
Old March 31, 2005, 11:25 PM
First Class Cricketer

Maybe arrogant but it's true... after he got run out... they all batted like little sissies and ultra defensively... which resulted them in getting out.

You gotta feel for the guy... 173 in the first test... and it resulted in a draw... and 201 in last test... resulted in a loss.. because the rest of the team failed...
Old April 1, 2005, 12:43 AM
First Class Cricketer

Its true that he was argualy the best batsmen in the series & also perhaps one of the few who could win it for India but i still feel that it doesnt give him the right to say something like, "but I was the only one capable of winning it". It sounds cocky. It's somewhat true but feels weird hearing it from the guy himself.
Old April 1, 2005, 01:31 AM
ODI Cricketer

U dont get it do u... what i meant was his ego as u mentioned... thats y he is a loser... and also the fct that he is a big mouth. Im not saying he cudnt hav saved the match... im just saying he is silly to hav said someting like that.

(this is Hasib btw... can't be bothered to leave the commentry box.)
Old April 1, 2005, 01:43 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Simulation
what i meant was his ego as u mentioned... thats y he is a loser... and also the fct that he is a big mouth. Im not saying he cudnt hav saved the match... im just saying he is silly to hav said someting like that.

(this is Hasib btw... can't be bothered to leave the commentry box.)
I agree with all what u said in the quoted box above but perhaps i misnderstood on what context u used the word 'loser' but yeah i agree, it was silly for him to say that. Especially most of the people were praising him for his performance anyways, he didnt need to blow his own horn and sound cocky in that manner
Old April 1, 2005, 06:16 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Though it's true, he shouldn't talk like this.

Is he trying to be Indian Shoaib?
Old April 1, 2005, 07:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

You think Sehwag's mouth's bad? Follow the Pietersen rollercoaster. Sehwag's just keeping it real