facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 3, 2007, 03:43 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Any consistent performer
Default New Technology in Cricket

I have heard that the Aussies and Brits are using Infra Red cameras to get heat signatures to rule on LBWS and other controvertial calls. This is really simple to use.
Are they gonna use it in the next WC? An IR camera costs around $30000. This can also help our bowlers to improve their line and length and the batsmen to correct their steps.

Old February 3, 2007, 04:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Liton Das

Thats pretty cool.....How does it work??
Old February 3, 2007, 04:55 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

They used this tech during the Ashes. Very effective. Am not too convinced about feathered catches where tha ball just, and only just, kisses the edge of the bat though. Its great for gloved catches, and bat-pad catches.
Old February 3, 2007, 06:09 PM
Banned

BD4eva,
Infrared technology is used to block all visible light in spectrum but won’t block infrared light. A simple filmnegatives can do the tricks. A filter consisting of two layers of film-negative will eliminate short wavelength light from the spectrum making our eyes to be able to view the object that is not visible with naked eye. So you definately need some kind of infrared lightsource . You also need a flashlight that doesn’t actually light for the human eye…and infra red is ideal to make this happen. I have been told that IR film has captured images of ghosts. Just imagine about x-ray technolgy

Last edited by Sorry; February 3, 2007 at 06:17 PM..
Old February 3, 2007, 07:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Nasir Hossain/Dale Steyn

Wow. I dont know if the members wanted such an in depth analysis... I'll just clear it up in simple english. When the ball hits the bat, heat is transferred right? So abit after the ball is bowled that needs to be checked, a close up replay of the batsman is displayed in heat vision. Then whether the ball hits the edge of the bat is determined by a white spot on the bat after the ball goes past it. Really smart stuff by management.
Old February 3, 2007, 09:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Liton Das

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorry
BD4eva,
Infrared technology is used to block all visible light in spectrum but won’t block infrared light. A simple filmnegatives can do the tricks. A filter consisting of two layers of film-negative will eliminate short wavelength light from the spectrum making our eyes to be able to view the object that is not visible with naked eye. So you definately need some kind of infrared lightsource . You also need a flashlight that doesn’t actually light for the human eye…and infra red is ideal to make this happen. I have been told that IR film has captured images of ghosts. Just imagine about x-ray technolgy
Thanx man......And jkrulz too.
Old February 4, 2007, 12:17 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD4eva
Thanx man......And jkrulz too.

Sorry about the delay. But Jkrulz described it pretty well.
Old February 4, 2007, 12:20 AM
ODI Cricketer

Why don't we starting using Robots instead of Umpires? The technology is available ... and there will certainly be no mistakes.
Old February 4, 2007, 12:27 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

There are a few things robots will lack. Most importantly, those will lack the facial expressions of the umpires...like our very own Nadir Shah's.

Faislami apart, it's not about robots vs umpires. Robots can't even get close to what umpires can do...such as rational thinking, decisions based on situations, sense of power, using personal judgements, taking decisions, etc. Technologies that are brought out these days are only for making it easier for umpires in taking decisions. Nothing else IMO.
Old February 4, 2007, 02:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Nasir Hossain/Dale Steyn

Haha. Rational thinking..personal judgements? I know where you are coming from... However I do believe robots would be better than umpires. I mean... What happened to Murali was horrible. I know that it was definitely meant to be out RULEwise but..Wheres the personal judgement. And Umpires like Rudi. Well.. Anyone who watched the ashes ball by ball would know what I mean.
Old February 4, 2007, 03:01 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Alastair Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkrulz
Wow. I dont know if the members wanted such an in depth analysis... I'll just clear it up in simple english. When the ball hits the bat, heat is transferred right? So abit after the ball is bowled that needs to be checked, a close up replay of the batsman is displayed in heat vision. Then whether the ball hits the edge of the bat is determined by a white spot on the bat after the ball goes past it. Really smart stuff by management.
I guess, even if the ball doesnt touch the edge of the bat and very closely move away at a speed around 70-80mph, there will be some heat generated - as two fast moving solid appears inch close with speed.

I wonder if the machine is sensitive enough to pick up some energy. Then it will be wrong.
Old February 4, 2007, 03:25 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
it's not about robots vs umpires. Robots can't even get close to what umpires can do...such as rational thinking, decisions based on situations, sense of power, using personal judgements, taking decisions, etc. Technologies that are brought out these days are only for making it easier for umpires in taking decisions. Nothing else IMO.
I agree 100%. Technologies are there just to aid our work.
Old February 6, 2007, 01:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

That's Good. Technology Helps Out to Improve the Quality of the Game. It has Both Positive Side and Negative Side.

Positive: Umpires will be More Accurate.
Negative: Interfarance of Human Being Still Making the Game Enjoyable. One Wrong Decission from Umpire can Turn the Match. It has Something Different Charm. This Charm will be Lost.

Devid Shepherd Made Two Mistakes in Two Consicutive World Cup Semi-Final.

1996 WC When He Called Out Otis Gibson of WI, WI Lost the Match (I am Not Discriminating Australian Game Plan and Outstanding Captancy of Mark Tailor on That Match)
1999 WC When He Declared Hansie Cronje Out. In Both the Case the Bowler was Shane Warne.

This is a Kind of Extra Ordinary Pleasure of Cricket.

Personally, I will Go for the Positive One.
Old February 6, 2007, 04:25 AM
Richard McInnes
Manager / Head coach, National Cricket Academy
Former BD U19 Coach

Default IR Camera

The IR camera is something the TV network is using as a gimmick for the viewers. It is not being used by the umpires, players or coaching staff for any purpose and to date this season.
Old February 6, 2007, 04:27 AM
Richard McInnes
Manager / Head coach, National Cricket Academy
Former BD U19 Coach

Default IR Camera

sorry tocontinue, and to date this season it has proven a little ineffective, in that the surface where contact is made between bat and ball or body and ball is not always visible from front and so therefore the"hotspoT" is not actually visible.

Not sure if there are any coaching or player development applications.
Old March 18, 2007, 11:33 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer
sorry tocontinue, and to date this season it has proven a little ineffective, in that the surface where contact is made between bat and ball or body and ball is not always visible from front and so therefore the"hotspoT" is not actually visible.

Not sure if there are any coaching or player development applications.

Thanks coach! for the info. I read about this technology being used in Aussie cricket from an Imaging publication. Looks like a neat tool to have. But dunno'
how effective. We migh need to make the pads black or any dull color tp get the 'hot spot' signature.
Old March 18, 2007, 11:43 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

One thing we have to keep in mind is technology isn't always foolproof and should not automatically guarantee 100% accuracy of umpire's every decision. Technology is only there to increase the efficiency and accuracy of umpires making close decisions.
Old March 18, 2007, 11:49 PM
Cricket Guru

Huh...reminds me of the computer system designed by Indian system engineers, which nicely predicted great wins for India. In that way, the doyal baba actually predicted better, as he said India may see some surprises. What a joke.
Old March 19, 2007, 06:05 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Yah..they used the "Hot Spot" in the Ashes and during the whole CB series..
pretty amazing stuff...
but im not quite sure to put it to game application already...

cricket is already a lengthy game..even the one dayers..
its a long 8 hours process...
and then imagine all the technologies being introduced and applied...

thats only going to extend the time more and more and test the patience of the viewers. Everytime an appeal would be made, umpires referring them for IR camera, ( on top of already run outs and other decisions) would only delay the game.

Some things are left better to the human judgement.
its a fair call. some day it would go for us, some days against...
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old March 19, 2007, 10:54 PM
ODI Cricketer

Soon there would be no need for umpires. A computer from the balcony would do the job.
I like an escalator, man, 'cause an escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old March 19, 2007, 11:22 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus
Soon there would be no need for umpires. A computer from the balcony would do the job.
Hmmm. Then you need serious disaster management, and put an umbrella on the computer. Putting computer in balcony is a risky business, as rain may wipe out the computer's ocean of data.

Also, not to forget, the virus problem. Our Tech Minister went to a computer fair in Dhaka, where he saw a window being left open next to a computer. He immediately reported that to the appropriate people of the stall, and told them "close the window, other wise your computer may get air-borne virus".
Old March 19, 2007, 11:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Hmmm. Then you need serious disaster management, and put an umbrella on the computer. Putting computer in balcony is a risky business, as rain may wipe out the computer's ocean of data.

Also, not to forget, the virus problem. Our Tech Minister went to a computer fair in Dhaka, where he saw a window being left open next to a computer. He immediately reported that to the appropriate people of the stall, and told them "close the window, other wise your computer may get air-borne virus".
True??

I dont think Moin Khan is that foolish.
Old March 19, 2007, 11:31 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:

Who is the tech minister? He/she must be an idiot
I like an escalator, man, 'cause an escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."