facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 26, 2008, 09:58 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Rajin Saleh
Default Siddon's post match comments are disgraceful and detrimental for BD cricket

I was shocked to read this. 8 years???? we need miracle to win? if thats his attitude then how can young players believe they can win. We were only 50 runs short of winning, how is a miracle required, rather a half century from just a batsmen. Im disgusted with siddons comments. It is rude, discouraging for players and a bad attitude. Get rid of him, he's a mockery. No one speaks like that about their coaching team. We need to realise this.

Following their five-wicket defeat in the first Test, Jamie Siddons, the Bangladesh coach, said he does not expect his side to beat South Africa unless a miracle occurs.

Siddons said the Bangladesh batsmen were not used to batting against the sort of pace generated by South Africa's fast bowlers. "They [the batsmen] go from playing for their clubs in the National League to trying to take on the best fast bowler in the world. [Dale] Steyn kept striking in the first few overs and we never recovered. We spent the [whole] Test trying to recover all the time. He [Steyn] ripped us apart in the second innings with 150 kph outswingers [to the right-handers] or inswingers to the left-handers."

"When your batsmen are out of confidence and having to play against Steyn, Morne Morkel or Makhaya Ntini, that is a tough assignment. The pressure they transmitted is too much for our batsmen at the moment. Their bowlers were just too good for our batsmen."

Despite the loss, Siddons was not keen on changing the squad for the second Test. "You've got to give young players time. I think they have the talent to improve, even if it takes eight years.

Old February 26, 2008, 10:05 AM
Club Cricketer

Oh CR$P; that means we have to see Habla GAZI once again on the field!!!!!!!!!
Old February 26, 2008, 10:07 AM

Truth hurts, eh? real deep? Where did he touch you?

Its incredibly unfair to link his decision on sticking wholly with the first test team and him predicting about the younger and future players. Jamie Siddons is correct in everything he said, and it is NOT disgraceful and detrimental because its true. It should be everyone's focus to improve from this state, not condemn him for stating what is true!

I'll tell you what was disgraceful: the way us fans got all overjoyed with rajib's wonders in the 1st innings, and Junaid's 64* at stumps of the SECOND DAY. This is Test cricket, and you guys let yourselves down thinking that we'd sustain it for three more days!

There were other things that were detrimental too: The poor team selection, HaBa's inclusion, Mashrafee not being his best, Mushfique not being the cleanest behind the stumps, and the consistently collapsing batting line up.

Wake up everyone.

Last edited by ammark; February 26, 2008 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: elaborated
Old February 26, 2008, 10:07 AM
Club Cricketer

I agree with Siddon on all his comments except not changing the team. Someone please tell me... I know that our bawlers can't go over 135 or such, but how come we can't produce the speed with machine?
Old February 26, 2008, 10:10 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Yes he is correct. Junaid is a miracle landed in our lap out of nowhere. Don't know how long this will last (See SN). Enjoying the ride anyways.

With current teams performance we need another few miracles to happen.

1) Selectors get in to senses (Will never happen unless a miracle ...) I am ready to see HB in the team for the entire 2008 season. May be he will get a recall in ODIs who knows. Three cheers for the selectors hip!! hip!! ....(why are you guys silent?)

2) Ash's mental lapse while batting (So many years has passed still having mental lapse. Only miraculously that can be fixed)

3) Mash's recovery (coming back to form). When did he have a significance bowling performance in test last time? Didn't he say he needs to learn reverse swing from Malinga last time we toured SL? (need a miracle to get a Mash with fire under his belly) He psychologically knows before hand when we can and can not win a test. Way to go VC. His bowling action with arm tucked in does not help either. Where is his follow through swinging left arm? Injury happens for a reason.

4) SN mediocre will continue unless he thinks 25 is not a good score.

You need more I can keep on typing. Just let me know.

Truth hurts!! That is what frustrated coach just said. Either the players prove him wrong or eat the dust. Time after time if players continue to do the same mistakes (throw away their wickets) what would a coach do? Bat himself?

Last edited by Tigers_eye; February 26, 2008 at 10:18 AM..
Old February 26, 2008, 10:14 AM
Club Cricketer

well said tigers_eye!!!
Old February 26, 2008, 10:17 AM
Club Cricketer

its not the point, the coach can't portray that, the players will be disencouraged and it kinda tells them look your sh*t so unless a miracle happens then you'l get beaten. Well wats the point in you lot watching them or supporting them. Thats not right for a coach to say that, especially after they came close to winning. Its not miracle, just a half century by 1 other batsmen!!!!!!!!
Old February 26, 2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHossain
its not the point, the coach can't portray that, the players will be disencouraged and it kinda tells them look your sh*t so unless a miracle happens then you'l get beaten. Well wats the point in you lot watching them or supporting them. Thats not right for a coach to say that, especially after they came close to winning. Its not miracle, just a half century by 1 other batsmen!!!!!!!!
They didnt come NEAR to winning Squat. The winners in our team were Rajib, Junaid and Rafique Mama. No one else won. Stop crying because you're emotional and hurting.

- as myself
Old February 26, 2008, 10:19 AM
First Class Cricketer

As much as I believe that Siddons' approach to forming (baring HB) the team, and his plans for the future are the right ones, I must also disagree to his such comment about the incapability of the team....it's disappointing to hear such negative comment about our players even if the statement is true....it makes it harder for the young players to believe in themselves....if his intention is to make the player anger and to motivate them, it may be acceptable, but if he has made the comment for the fans to setup realistic expecations it isn't the professional way to do it....it shouldn't be his job anyway....let the bcb management deal with the problem...

this type of thread to bash him is unnecessary, nontheless....if has done a mistake, let's take a good path of critcism so that even he can learn a thing or to correct himself for the future...
Old February 26, 2008, 10:23 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
They didnt come NEAR to winning Squat. The winners in our team were Rajib, Junaid and Rafique Mama. No one else won. Stop crying because you're emotional and hurting.

- as myself
Did you see the game????? they won at 205-5!!!!!!! means if we set 260 we stood a brilliant chance to win. Thats close. Grow up, not crying just concerned. You really don't understand much yet your a moderator????
Old February 26, 2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharifk
it's disappointing to hear such negative comment about our players even if the statement is true....it makes it harder for the young players to believe in themselves....if his intention is to make the player anger and to motivate them, it may be acceptable, but if he has made the comment for the fans to setup realistic expecations it isn't the professional way to do it....it shouldn't be his job anyway....let the bcb management deal with the problem...
possibly. But he has been consistently in the media (including this evening's "Frankly Speaking" on NTV) telling us his thoughts because he's been asked. He's very supportive of the youngsters, he loves his job, and he knows its a tough task. He has consistently blamed the media for putting this sort of pressure on the young guys.
Old February 26, 2008, 10:26 AM
Cricket Savant

Dear FHossain,
No, this is sending a message to the fans and media. Lower your expectation and the truth is we are not yet international standard yet to compete day in day out. Just because SA didn't perform they way they should (1st innings), we had an openning. Read my signature. See how much more I expected from the players. EVEN WITH HB IN THE LINEUP. Look at the the wins we had (ODI). We compete when others can't perform. we win when a miracle happens (Ash's innings). 50 more runs is easy to say, hard to get against those bowlers. We have still a lot more to learn. Be patient it will happen. Let them grow up a little. Try to accept the criticizm.
Old February 26, 2008, 10:26 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Why you don't wanna wait 8 years? going some where? it took 23 years for NZ, India and some others. And it should take more than that as we are playing double the test they played. So chill out.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old February 26, 2008, 10:30 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
possibly. But he has been consistently in the media (including this evening's "Frankly Speaking" on NTV) telling us his thoughts because he's been asked. He's very supportive of the youngsters, he loves his job, and he knows its a tough task. He has consistently blamed the media for putting this sort of pressure on the young guys.
my question still will be: what's the purpose of the statement? was he trying to help the players or to setup people's expecations? or just giving honest answers that you are suggesting...even if it's just for honesty, he still must be careful of any statement that may have possible negative impact of players' mind.....having said that i again still think we must not be too harsh on him with a thread like this at so early stage of his tenure
Old February 26, 2008, 10:31 AM
Cricket Savant

In eight years our 20ish boys would be 28ish. prime for cricket. My hope is these boys will grow up to be the best in the world.
Old February 26, 2008, 10:31 AM
Club Cricketer

I'm disapointed, the caoch has basically said we are crap and will take 8 years and you all want to accept that, not realising the detrimental effect that has on current players and futre. I can't pursue this thread with minds that tolerate our national coach speaking like that. if you all think the same then don't watch or discuss the next test as if its a miracle you think is required well they don't happen often.
Old February 26, 2008, 10:34 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Dear FHossain,
No, this is sending a message to the fans and media. Lower your expectation and the truth is we are not yet international standard yet to compete day in day out. Just because SA didn't perform they way they should (1st innings), we had an openning. Read my signature. See how much more I expected from the players. EVEN WITH HB IN THE LINEUP. Look at the the wins we had (ODI). We compete when others can't perform. we win when a miracle happens (Ash's innings). 50 more runs is easy to say, hard to get against those bowlers. We have still a lot more to learn. Be patient it will happen. Let them grow up a little. Try to accept the criticizm.
T_e, that's what I suspect too. But shouldn't it be someone else's job to manage fans' and medias' expectations? is he taking too much on himself that may have impacts to his real job of coaching?
Old February 26, 2008, 10:35 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
You need more I can keep on typing. Just let me know.
Yes we need more. Keep on typing please.....

Siddon is comming from a different angle, not biased by any previous memories that we fans have for particular players. He is also not going to change his mind in a whimsical way that we fans often do based on which side of the bed we wake up. He will be patient, he knows reality and the limitation ( unlike fans who often confuses between reality and fantasy land) and will give enough time to the current players to correct themsleves. But when he will make up his mind about certain players, i.e. the players who refuse to learn from mistakes and refuse to adapt and improvise, there will be a point when these players will be in his dog house. And when they go to his dog house, these players will never see the light again as long as he is coaching. Its not going to be "dropped for one game" and returned back to the team, it will be "dropped for atleast few years".
Old February 26, 2008, 10:41 AM
Cricket Sage

What next? What else we expect from Siddon? To pamper the players? Sing lullaby to the players so that they have a good nap? Does he need to change their diapers also?

I can see some fans and media make a big issue out of nothing that will prompt to kick Siddon out of the country like they did to GG. And then we will have another Mohsin Kamal type coach again. And every body will be happy. No body wants to hear the truth that hurts.... Mill Mohobbot e boro kotha... even if its based on a lie.

Last edited by Fazal; February 26, 2008 at 10:51 AM..
Old February 26, 2008, 10:51 AM
Club Cricketer

no, just be professional. do not discourage young players, instead, give them belief, encourage and certainly dont talk lke that in the media as hes representing our players, he has no intention for the best of BD cricket if he can talk like that. Zimbabwe and ireland are on similar levels to us, mayvbe a bit lower but their coach wouldnt talk like that cos its just not professional. u all agree with siddons purely because he is australian, therefore u automatically respect him and fear to question him even if its at the expense of ur own players integrity infront of world cricket.
Old February 26, 2008, 10:52 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Lara & Ashraful

Quote:
I was shocked to read this. 8 years???? we need miracle to win? if thats his attitude then how can young players believe they can win. We were only 50 runs short of winning, how is a miracle required, rather a half century from just a batsmen. Im disgusted with siddons comments. It is rude, discouraging for players and a bad attitude. Get rid of him, he's a mockery. No one speaks like that about their coaching team. We need to realise this.

Following their five-wicket defeat in the first Test, Jamie Siddons, the Bangladesh coach, said he does not expect his side to beat South Africa unless a miracle occurs.

Siddons said the Bangladesh batsmen were not used to batting against the sort of pace generated by South Africa's fast bowlers. "They [the batsmen] go from playing for their clubs in the National League to trying to take on the best fast bowler in the world. [Dale] Steyn kept striking in the first few overs and we never recovered. We spent the [whole] Test trying to recover all the time. He [Steyn] ripped us apart in the second innings with 150 kph outswingers [to the right-handers] or inswingers to the left-handers."

"When your batsmen are out of confidence and having to play against Steyn, Morne Morkel or Makhaya Ntini, that is a tough assignment. The pressure they transmitted is too much for our batsmen at the moment. Their bowlers were just too good for our batsmen."

Despite the loss, Siddons was not keen on changing the squad for the second Test. "You've got to give young players time. I think they have the talent to improve, even if it takes eight years.
I do not see anything wrong in his statement. He just trying to take the pressure off our batsman.
Old February 26, 2008, 10:54 AM
Club Cricketer

taking pressure off by saying theyre sh*t? please explain how that works, cant quite grasp that justification.
Old February 26, 2008, 10:55 AM
Cricket Sage

If you are looking for that kind of coach don't look for Siddon, look for Mohsin Kamal type coach. He is a smooth talker, he will charm every body. But can he coach ? Who cares? Tooks like that is non issue to some folks. Baby sitting the national team players is the main jon. No?
Old February 26, 2008, 10:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

Quote:
I'm disapointed, the caoch has basically said we are crap and will take 8 years and you all want to accept that, not realising the detrimental effect that has on current players and futre. I can't pursue this thread with minds that tolerate our national coach speaking like that. if you all think the same then don't watch or discuss the next test as if its a miracle you think is required well they don't happen often.
look man,it wont disheartedn any bd player.its alright,they dont have shame.siddons ajke mediate bolse,but dont u think ei ekii kotha aro kharap bhabe onno keu oder bolse?oder gaye lage na.i had a cousin working for bcb.she told me je oder onnek kisui bola hoy but ora ek kan diye dhukay r arek kan diye bair kore.jai howk,ador kore oder shikhanor cheshtha kora hoise onek,na shikle eigula koray toh kono dosh nai.anyways,siddons spoke the truth.
Old February 26, 2008, 11:02 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

There are multiple reasons for his statement but it revolves around accepting reality. I see it as purely psychological therapy through the media. I don't know how he is dealing with players directly, it could be different than what he is talking to media. Ofcourse, he would not go to Ash directly and say you suck.

1) To make batsmen and bowlers realize their limitations, and play accordingly. Specially most of our young batsmen fly in the air, imagine themselves as superheros, and try to hit every ball for 4 or 6. He is giving a message to our batsmen to be realistic and play according to the situation. If he can make them do it then it would be a miracle.

2) Lower the expectation of such huge fan base, and media. This will allow the batsmen to play their game without any pressure. Further, if your expectation is low then it would not matter much if you lose badly.