facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old April 6, 2010, 04:07 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ashraful♥Raqibul foreve
Default Stony Brook or Binghampton University?

Which is a better university for Business?

I need advice from the experts and boro bhais here where should I transfer to?

Old April 6, 2010, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Can you transfer to the CUNY system? Barruch has a higher reputation than the above to SUNY's...
Old April 6, 2010, 04:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Can you transfer to the CUNY system? Barruch has a higher reputation than the above to SUNY's...
I actually checked out the campus of Baruch yesterday, it was pretty awesome. Thanks Zunaid Bhai will apply there right now.
Old April 6, 2010, 04:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Bond what high school do you go to?

I think Zunaid bhai is right. I think Baruch may rank higher in business than either of those more scientific research oriented universities.

Have you definitely set your mind to Business?

I think there will always be changes in your interest once your start college. I think those state universities provide much much more diversity (subject wise). I think it is not a bad idea to go to a school where you will have a lot of options. I don't think apart from business, Baruch is all that great for other subjects.

I think Stony brook offers a 5 year masters program where you can do your undergrad in science or engineering and then do an extra year for MBA (without taking all those tests).

Anyways, the time in which we are right now, I would be looking for multiple subjects/multiple pathways. My recommendation is Engineering with business. But your interest maybe elsewhere.
Old April 6, 2010, 04:42 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Community college. Save some money of your parents. It is all the same at the Undergraduate level if you are to do your masters and PhD.
Old April 6, 2010, 04:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Having said that, I highly doubt it matters where you decide to get your degree from (unless it's an ivy league), so I would go with what makes sense to me (in terms of culture, campus life, opportunities, money etc etc) rather than base my decision on subjective reputation.
Old April 6, 2010, 04:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus

I think Zunaid bhai is right. I think Baruch may rank higher in business than either of those more scientific research oriented universities.

I think there will always be changes in your interest once your start college. I think those state universities provide much much more diversity (subject wise). I think it is not a bad idea to go to a school where you will have a lot of options. I don't think apart from business, Baruch is all that great for other subjects.

I think Stony brook offers a 5 year masters program where you can do your undergrad in science or engineering and then do an extra year for MBA (without taking all those tests).

Anyways, the time in which we are right now, I would be looking for multiple subjects/multiple pathways. My recommendation is Engineering with business. But your interest maybe elsewhere.
Thanks for your advice brother, this does sounds interesting. I might have to give my father a call in the morning and ask him what he thinks about double majors. I really really appreciate all the advices, I salute you sir.

Last edited by Bond; April 6, 2010 at 04:53 PM..
Old April 6, 2010, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Having said that, I highly doubt it matters where you decide to get your degree from (unless it's an ivy league), so I would go with what makes sense to me (in terms of culture, campus life, opportunities, money etc etc) rather than base my decision on subjective reputation.
Stony Brook looks cheaper. I guess.

http://www.stonybrook.edu/ugadmissio...al/costs.shtml

http://www2.binghamton.edu/admission...nce-costs.html
Old April 6, 2010, 04:48 PM
Cricket Savant

My school ranked as Chelekhelar #1 party college! Come on over..

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old April 6, 2010, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
My school ranked as Chelekhelar #1 party college! Come on over..
I don't want to play with cheles i prefer girls , I am straight lol. what's your school by the way brother?
Old April 6, 2010, 04:54 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond
I don't want to play with cheles i prefer girls , I am straight lol. what's your school by the way brother?
LAME....on a second thought. DON'T Come over. We can sure do without you.

Old April 6, 2010, 04:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
LAME....on a second thought. DON'T Come over. We can sure do without you.
sorry bhai mind korsen? apni kon college
Old April 6, 2010, 05:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond
Stony Brook looks cheaper. I guess.
Look at the programs that they offer first and then apply accordingly. Cost on paper maybe higher for one school but then you may end up getting a scholarship offer that may reduce the cost and be better or comparable to the lesser one.

Look through the courses, read about the criteria and then decide.

For example, a qucking look at BH combined program - the 5 year engineering/mba catches my eyes. Then they require 3.5 Gpa at junior year. With SB, they say any undergrad major can do MBA as long as they like you with a requirement of 3.1 (they gave some examples of undergrad subjects after which MBA was obtained by students - engineering wasn't mentioned).

Getting above 3.5 in Engineering (in these universities) is EXTREMELY difficult but very possible.
So, first I would research what programs different universities offer, and see if I like something or not - then apply to that program.

I don't know if you are in High school or not but please take my advice -
Don't screw up.. be serious from the start. Set goals and achieve it. Be superstar and STAND OUT.

Good luck!!
Old April 6, 2010, 05:27 PM
ODI Cricketer

bhaijan, ei ta ki bollen ?
3.5 in SUNY's (especially ECE dept) isnt difficult.

Quote:
Getting above 3.5 in Engineering (in these universities) is EXTREMELY difficult but very possible.
Old April 6, 2010, 05:37 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Community college. Save some money of your parents. It is all the same at the Undergraduate level if you are to do your masters and PhD.
I agree completely. Either community college even state uni is fine. My cousin is going to Long Island University, the money that she's paying in a year, I can get my B.S. with that money at uconn and still have some left over.

How big is Stony Brook? I hear its freaking huge.
Old April 6, 2010, 06:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by deshifan

Some people might find it easy but most will not. And not all SUNY's are created equal. If it comes easy to you, consider yourself blessed.
Old April 6, 2010, 06:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Quote:

Orphy is giving some good advice here!!! I strongly recommend building a broad background during undergrad years.
Old April 6, 2010, 06:45 PM
Cricket Savant

Ami aar abeg shamlate parlam na....

Old April 6, 2010, 09:49 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Very good discussions going on here! Thank you all the bhais for helping our Bond bhai here! Good thread!
Old April 6, 2010, 11:29 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by deshifan

what's the GPA required to get in to the ENGR program in SUNY?
Old April 7, 2010, 01:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

What's there to think? Binghamton Uni is the no. one school in the SUNY system. If you've done your due diligence I'm sure you know by now Harpur college has great liberal arts and science programs, School of Watson is a top notch engineering school and School of Management consistently produces (or at least used to produce until 4/5 years back) plenty of big four/Goldman/Morgan Stanley material each year. Go to Bingie...think no more...as easy as that. If I haven't made it obvious enough, yes- I went there for my undergrad :P

Now, here's my real opinion. If you wanna have fun in college stay as far away from Bingie as you can.
Reasons are two-fold. First, you've probably heard they call BU the poor man's Ivy league. Lots of students who can't afford Ivy leagues/ other smart kids who think they'll get an easy pass go there only to find out the level of difficulty is much higher than what they had anticipated. You almost get the impression from some of the professors, they think they should be teaching at Ivy leagues, not Binghamton, and out of inferiority complex or something they try extra hard to make exams extremely difficult. This is coming from someone who breezed through ssc/hsc/buet entrance exam. So if you think you have a very strong background, I'd advise going to an Ivy league as you'll be putting in almost the same amount of effort to get good grades anyway, yet at the end of the day you won't be getting the Ivy league seal. Otherwise, go to an easier school.
Second, the weather really sucks. Binghamton is the second most rainy city in the country behind Seattle. It's always cloudy and gloomy. You hardly get to see the sun and a lot of people (me included) find that very depressing.

If you still decide to go there let me know, I may be able to introduce you to some professors from the math department (who successfully made my life a living hell ). If you need any more info feel free to PM me. I can give you a list of all the fraternities, clubs, pubs and the personal phone number of Kasim, Imam of the local Mosque. :P Good luck with your college hunt.
Old April 7, 2010, 03:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
What's there to think? Binghamton Uni is the no. one school in the SUNY system. If you've done your due diligence I'm sure you know by now Harpur college has great liberal arts and science programs, School of Watson is a top notch engineering school and School of Management consistently produces (or at least used to produce until 4/5 years back) plenty of big four/Goldman/Morgan Stanley material each year. Go to Bingie...think no more...as easy as that. If I haven't made it obvious enough, yes- I went there for my undergrad :P

Now, here's my real opinion. If you wanna have fun in college stay as far away from Bingie as you can.
Reasons are two-fold. First, you've probably heard they call BU the poor man's Ivy league. Lots of students who can't afford Ivy leagues/ other smart kids who think they'll get an easy pass go there only to find out the level of difficulty is much higher than what they had anticipated. You almost get the impression from some of the professors, they think they should be teaching at Ivy leagues, not Binghamton, and out of inferiority complex or something they try extra hard to make exams extremely difficult. This is coming from someone who breezed through ssc/hsc/buet entrance exam. So if you think you have a very strong background, I'd advise going to an Ivy league as you'll be putting in almost the same amount of effort to get good grades anyway, yet at the end of the day you won't be getting the Ivy league seal. Otherwise, go to an easier school.
Second, the weather really sucks. Binghamton is the second most rainy city in the country behind Seattle. It's always cloudy and gloomy. You hardly get to see the sun and a lot of people (me included) find that very depressing.

If you still decide to go there let me know, I may be able to introduce you to some professors from the math department (who successfully made my life a living hell ). If you need any more info feel free to PM me. I can give you a list of all the fraternities, clubs, pubs and the personal phone number of Kasim, Imam of the local Mosque. :P Good luck with your college hunt.
Me and my friend are driving to Binghampton to check out the campus this friday. We may run into each other, just wanted to see the dorming facilities and the students. Thanks for the insight information.

I was really excited when I got the acceptance letter from Binghampton uni as you mentioned above it's the number 1 suny uni, guess I have to study my butt out to get As. Will be difficult but not impossible. Thanks again brother, really appreciate it.