facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old June 18, 2007, 11:43 AM
First Class Cricketer

Default Giasuddin Al Mamun: Confessions in Interrogation

I found a big report on the net on the confession of Giasuddin Al Mamun during interrogation at the custody. This is a copy-paste from Probe News Magazine.

Giasuddin Al Mamun, controversial businessman, continues in his revelations of corruption,
of how he used his contacts to build his empire of wealth.
A PROBE Report: Developing a friendship

“I first met Tareq Rahman when we were both admitted to Residential Model College in Dhaka. That was in 1983. We were first classmates and then gradually became firm friends,” Mamun says, stating how it all began.

Mamun would visit Tareq at his cantonment house occasionally. And when Tareq studied at Dhaka University, he would sometimes hang out with his friends at Pubali Medicine, Mamun’s medicine shop at the Bata crossing, Elephant Road. “I would sometimes hop on to the back of Tareq’s motorbike and go off to spend the day at his house. And that is how I met his mama (maternal uncle) Syed Iskander. Syed Iskander and his family would live in the extension in front of Tareq’s house,” relates Mamun.

He got closer: “Time passed and I shifted, along with my wife, from my father’s place to Nazir Road, in the cantonment. That’s when I got involved in business with Tareq and Syed Iskander. I entered their shipping, towel, garments and other businesses. Thus I began to frequent the residence of former Prime Minister Begum Khaleda Zia at even more regular intervals.”

From 1995 till 1998 Mamun and his family lived opposite Begum Khaleda Zia’s house in an extension building. Then Awami League came to power. “I was banished from the cantonment,” Mamun recounts. “I was furious and determined to help BNP back into power.” Thus his keenness for political involvement.

Amassing assets

Wily Mamun knew how to use his valuable contacts. The personal wealth he has amassed, speaks for itself. His personal assets are estimated at 24 crore 30 lac taka, he says.
  • About 20 bighas of land at Mouchak, Gazipur, worth approximately 40 lac taka.
  • “I have the power of attorney of a relative’s 1300 sq ft flat in Indira Road,” he says, “And I paid 10 lac taka for that.”
  • He has paid a 20 lac taka advance payment for a flat in Old DOHS.
  • The Public Works Ministry allocated 17 katha of land for him in the name of Channel One, costing 30 lac taka.
  • He has FDRs in various banks around the country amounting to a total of 15 crore.
  • He has a home on three bighas of land in Borhanuddin thana of Bhola worth about three lac taka as well as 30 kathas of land in Bhola, valued at 17 lac taka.
  • He built a three-storeyed building on eight kathas of land given by his in-laws in Gazipur town. The house is named Khwaab (Dream).
  • He has constructed a house in his wife’s name at a cost of 3.5 crore taka on land worth two crore taka purchased from Lt. Col. (retd.) Mannan at House 78, Road 6, Old DOHS.
  • He has FDRs of about four crore taka in his wife’s name in various banks.
Cash for contracts

Mamun also made a fortune by “lobbying” for various parties to secure lucrative contracts. He estimates this at 15 to 20 crore taka. The various contractors involved in these deals include Mir Akhter Ltd, Abdul Monem, Ltd, Reza Constructions Ltd, BDC, PBL, etc.
  • He made about 15 to 20 crore taka from 2001 to 2005 by securing contracts with the Roads and Highways Department for various friends and acquaintances.
  • “I got about 75 lac taka by helping in securing two tenders of the Railway,” says Mamun.
  • He made a profit of about 80 lac taka with Selim Bhuiyan as the agent of Nikko Resources Ltd.
  • “By securing the Fenchuganj Power Station contract for Mrs Khadija Islam, (proprietor of Nirman Construction), I got a payment of 1 crore 65 lac taka,” he says.
  • He continues, “I got 7 lac 20 thousand US dollars (about 4 crore 20 lac taka) as kickback for securing the Tongi Power Station contract for Mrs Khadija Islam. This is deposited in my account at Citi Bank in Singapore – NA Item Processing Unit, Robinson Road, PO Box 1195, Singapore.”
  • There is more – “I took a payment of about five to six crore taka in 2001-2002 to get Hosaf Group a power station work contract. This is deposited in accounts in Singapore; the NatWest Bank, London and Citi Bank, Singapore.”
  • Captain (retd.) Reza paid Mamun a 2 crore taka bribe to get the Dhaka North Power Project and Mymensingh Phase-2 contracts.
  • By “lobbying” with LGED for a friend’s company, KICL, Mamun made about 75 lac taka.
  • He made about 50,000 US dollars (about 35 lac taka) by securing a contract in 2001-2002 for Mushfiq, the local agent of Nortel.
  • He relates how be recommended Ali Asghar Lobby for a T&T contract and made 60 lac taka in 2002.
  • He continues, “I made about 50 lac taka by getting two consultancies for Waheed Salam in 2003-2004.”
  • “Along with GM Siraj MP, we procured 600 CNG autorickshaws from Uttara Motors and sold it at inflated prices in the market making a 2 crore taka profit each.”
  • He made another 25 lac taka in 2002 from a contract of the Civil Aviation Ministry.
Bank balance

He says he has 50 lac taka in Standard Chartered Bank of Gulshan; 11 lac taka in HSBC Bank, Gulshan; and 10 lac taka in Dhaka Bank, Banani.

He has foreign accounts too, with Natwest, UK and Citi Bank, Singapore.

Industrial investments

He has about 25 crore 61 lac taka invested in various industries:
He has a 30% share with Rahman Navigation Co. Ltd; 25% share with Rahman Shippings Bangladesh Ltd; 20% in Khamba Ltd; 60% in PCIL; 35% in One Composite Mills Ltd; 41% in One Spinning Mills Ltd; 55% in One Denim Factory Ltd; 2% in Channel One; and 75% in One Holdings Ltd.

Businesses

Shipping: According to Giasuddin Al Mamun, in partnership with Syed Iskander and Tareq Rahman, he took a 50 or 60 lac taka loan from IFIC Bank and purchased two ships from Abdul Ghani Sikder. Then they bought four news ships in 1997 by investing 20 lac taka and borrowing one crore 80 lac taka from IFIC Bank. Arafat Rahman and Nasrin Syed (Iskander’s wife) also became involved in the business. They sold a ship in 1999 for 45 lac taka and paid all their loans by 2001.

Garments: Giasuddin Al Mamun, in partnership with Syed Iskander and Tareq Rahman, then invested in the garments industry, he says. They established Unitex Apparels with 90 machines with an investment of 15 to 20 lac taka and a 40 to 50 lac taka loan from IFIC Bank. After more investment and expansion of the factory, they sold it for one crore in 1997-1998.

Dandy Dying: Mamun asserts that neither he nor Tareq took any profit from the earnings of Dandy Dying.

Silver Line Composite Mills Ltd: “In 1999/2000,” states Mamun, “former MP MH Selim alias Silver Selim, and myself set up this mill on land owned by Selim in Gazipur. We invested a capital of 30 to 40 lac taka jointly and took 60 to 70 crore taka loan from IFIC Bank for the purpose.” He owned 25% of the shares as a director and Silver Selim 75% as Chairman.”

One Tex dying Factory: “With an investment of 4 crore taka and 14 crore taka loan from IFIC Bank, in 2000, I set up this factory along with Haroun-Ur-Rashid, Chairman, APEX Group; Abed Hasan Mahmud, son of former State Minister for Power Iqbal Mahmud Tuku; director Babul Kazi, grandson of poet Kazi Nazrul Islam; and my brother-in-law Enayetul Bari Tutul,” says Mamun. He says he invested about 20 to 25 lac taka on behalf of his brother-in-law.

Khamba Ltd: This factor too Mamun set up along with Haroun-Ur-Rashid, Chairman, APEX Group; Javed Hasan Mahmud, nephew of former State Minister for Power Iqbal Mahmud Tuku; and Babul Kazi, grandson of poet Kazi Nazrul Islam. In 2003 they invested 3 crore taka in this venture and also took an 8 crore taka loan from Janata Bank for the purpose. The loan is being repaid. Mamun himself owned 50% of the shares, while the other 50% was divided among the others.

Pre-cast Concrete Industry Limited: In another revelation of his investments, Mamun speaks of the involvement of others – Rajib Apu, son of former Minister Shahjahan Siraj and Ershad Karim of Chittagong, along with Mamun bought the Pre-cast Concrete Industry in which Mamun owned 60% of the shares, Apu 20% and Karim 20%. They purchased it for one crore taka in cash from Rashiduzzaman Millat, former MP and Mahbub Anam Fakir Swapan and later invested a 22 crore taka loan from Arab Bangladesh Bank in the industry. Now 50% of the loan has been repaid.

One Composite Mills Ltd: This mill has earned 200 crore taka so far in exports to Germany and America, says Mamun. It was set up in 2003 with an investment of 12 crore taka, and 38/39 crore taka in loans from Janata Bank and Sonali Bank. The shareholders are Mamun, Silver Selim, Enamul Huq Mamuni and Textile Engineer Nasiruddin.

One Spinning Mills Ltd: With a 20 crore taka capital investment and 50 crore taka bank loan from Sonali Bank, Prime Bank, Dhaka Bank, Uttara Bank and Social Investment Bank, the mill was set up in 2005 on a plot of land leased by Orion Group for 99 years. The shareholders are Mamun, Haroun Ur Rashid of Apex Group, Rajib Siraj Apu, Nasiruddin and Jahangir of Apex Group, Mymensingh.

One Denim Factory: Mamun carries on: “With a 40 crore taka capital investment and 60 crore taka bank loan from Janata Bank, Dutch Bangla Bank, South East Bank, Bank Asia Bank and Premier Bank, the factory was set up in 2005 in Gazipur. The shareholders are myself; Haroun Ur Rashid, Chairman of Apex Group, Rajib Siraj Apu, Nasiruddin and Jahangir of Apex Group, Mymensingh.

Channel One: Mamun set up the private TV channel, Channel One, on January 24, 2006 with a 26 crore capital investment and a 24 crore taka loan from Prime Bank. The share holders are Mamun; Romana Mahmud, wife of former State Minister for Power Iqbal Mahmud Tuku; Shah Habibul Huq, nephew of late Zahurul Islam of Islam Group; former MP MH Selim alias Silver Selim; Majedul Karim, President of Khulna district BNP; Imran Chowdhury, younger brother of former PM’s Political Secretary Haris Chowdhury; Mehdi Hasan, son-in-law of Orion Group proprietor Obaidul Karim; Shah Alam, proprietor of Basundhara Group; and Masud, Chairman of S Alam Group and Chairman of First Security Bank.

One Consumer: Tommy Miah was Mamun’s partner too! “In 2006,” asserts Mamun,” internationally renowned chef Tommy Miah and I set up this organisation with a 50 lac taka investment, but it is closed now.”

REB tender: “Through Khamba Limited and Pre-cast Concrete Industries, I got a 132 crore taka tender of REB. Previously Kazi Shahed’s company would monopolise the business,” says Mamun.

Business connections with Tareq Rahman

Mamun says, “I am the Managing Director of One Group and Tareq Rahman has business relations with One Group.”

He goes into detail:

1. “In 1999-2000 when Tareq Rahman was given full responsibility for politics, he moved away from business. I then consulted with Tareq and began trying to do business myself. My businesses include the One Group which consists of One Composite Mills Ltd, Khamba Ltd, Pre Cast Concrete Industries Ltd, One Spinning Mills Ltd, One Denim Mills Ltd, One Properties/Holding Ltd. I established these businesses. With the encouragement of Tareq Rahman, businessmen of the BNP camp began doing business with me. I repeated proposed that Tareq be part of the business but he refused due to his previous experiences concerning bank loans and also because of his direct involvement in politics. However, as Tareq and his family had contribution to by rise in business, I told Tareq that anytime he wanted to join the business, he would have 50% of my shares, or more if need be. We had no signed agreement in this regard and neither of us felt the need for any such agreement. The directors of One Group were well aware they were to do what they can for his sake. Tareq Rahman did ask me to help him out financially from the business, but said he would think about the rest if he felt the need.”

2. “When we had trouble in finding land for spinning and denim mills, Tareq Rahman told the Chairman of Orion Group and they joined the company,” continues Mamun. When there was a proposal for Channel One, Tareq Rahman made arrangements for the entrepreneurs and Mamun was given responsibility to run the channel. “That’s why I was given shares without any financial investment,” explains Mamun. “I feel that half of my shares should actually go to Tareq. I got the investors because of him.” As Channel One is still in the investment stage, they never took any profit unless necessary. Tareq Rahman took interest in the details of design and decoration of Channel One. “I was witness to many financial matters of Tareq and the party. For example I have seen Obaidul Karim of Orion Group hand over money to Tareq Rahman on several occasions.”

3. Basundhara Group would also help Tareq Rahman financially and Lutfozzaman Babar would look after these transactions. The Group invested in Jai Jai Din, NTV and RTV at Tareq’s directives.

4. “As far as I know,” maintains Mamun, “Tareq has investment in Sound Valley, the electronics show room in Silver Tower at Gulshan.”

5. Reaz Uddin Al Mamun, owner of Epylion Textiles was Tareq’s college friend. “He would work for a bank, then left the job to join our garments factory,” says Mamun. “Then he went into business separately. He may have used Tareq from time to time in his own business interests. The two of them know better if they had any business connections.”

6. When Obaidul Karim bought Oriental Bank, says Mamun, he made a Stock Exchange businessman Nesar Ahmed, friend of Tareq, a director of the bank’s board at Tareq’s behest. It would be said he was Tareq’s nominee. Mamun says, “This will be clear if Nesar or Obaidul Karim is questioned. His PS Apu also knew of his financial dealings. I am sure he will not deny Tareq’s involvement with One Group. Tareq will admit it too if necessary. I can prove it and so can everyone in One Group.”

Cash

Records show Mamun has the following amounts in various banks in his own name:
HSBC: Tk. 21,18,031
Standard Chartered Bank, Motijheel: Tk. 32,25,022
Standard Chartered Bank, Kawran Bazar: Tk. 64,42,395
Dhaka Bank: Tk. 6,20,812

Cars
Mamun owned several cars:
1 4000CC BMW worth 52 lacs;
1 Lexus (sedan) worth 30 lac taka;
1 Volvo worth 35 lac taka;
1 2500CC microbus worth 18 lac taka, the loan of which nine lac has been repaid so far;
1 Pajero used for Rahman Navigation;
18 microbuses of which 17 were used for Channel One TV;
Other vehicles include cars, buses, trucks, etc, totalling 50 in all.

Connections

With Awami League leaders
“I met with Awami League presidium member Tofael Ahmed at his house in 1996,” Mamun says, revealing his connections with the party. “Awami League’s Dr. HMB Iqbal MP also called upon me in June/July 2006 along with Kazi Babul, requesting me to use my connections to resolve certain problems which have cropped upon concerning the MP of Premier Bank. That year I visited Dr. HMB Iqbal’s office twice. I was also in contact with Sheikh Selim.”

With Subrata Bain
Sometime before the national elections in 2001, I met the criminal Subrata Bain in the office of LDP Secretary General Maj. (retd) Abdul Mannan. In 2002 when the four-party alliance government were drawing up a list of top criminals, Subrata Bain requested me to ensure that his name did not turn up on the list. I declined. Then Obaidul Khandakar Sohel, Mota Tarek and I held a meeting at Silver Tower in Gulshan. The building belonged to former MP MH Selim alias Silver Selim. At the meeting we decided that Subrata Bain should be sent to India and this was done. I was not to talk to Subrata directly, but he would contact me by calling Sohel on his cell phone. In this manner Bain contacted me on January 10 and four or five days before that too.

When emergency was declared, Bain sent me a message through Sohel, saying that if things were too difficult for me, I should go over to India. I first refused, but later told Sohel to contact Bain. However, as Mota Tarek was in hiding, we couldn’t contact him. Mota Tarek would handle the commission collected on various tenders of the Roads and Highways Department through Manik and Habu, cadres of Subrata Bain. And 50% of the commission would go to me, 20% to the contractors collecting the schedule, 10% to Sohel and the remaining amount sent to Subrata Bain through Mota Tarek. Bain would keep track of his money by calling up Sohel. In 2006 I met Subrata Bain at Calcutta airport and he came to meet me at Hotel Park. I paid Subrata Bain almost 30 lac taka.

With Aditi Sen Gupta
I had close relationship with Aditi Sen Gupta, Deputy Programme Manager of Channel One. I would often have fights with my wife over Aditi. I would visit Aditi at her Dhanmondi flat along with Advocate Anisur Rahman and by PS Kamrul. Kamrul would wait downstairs while I went to Aditi’s flat.

Ministers MPs frequenting Mamun’s office
1. Iqbal Hasan Mahmud Tuku (former State Minister for Power)
2. Ahsanul Huq Milon (former State Minister for Education)
3. AKM Musharraf Hossain (former Minister for Mineral Resources)
4. Maj (retd) Qamrul Islam (former State Minister for Overseas Employment)
5. Salah Uddin (former State Minister for Communications)
6. Lutfozzaman Babar (former State Minister for Home Affairs)
7. Mujibur Rahman Sarwar (Mayor, Barisal City Corporation)
8. MH Selim alias Sliver Selim (former MP of BNP)
9. M Rashiduzzaman Millat (former MP of BNP)
10. Ali Asghar Lobby (former MP of BNP)
11. Zahir Uddin Swapan (former MP of BNP)
12. GM Siraj (former MP of BNP)
13. Fazlul Huq Milan (former MP of BNP)
14. Ilyas Ali (former MP of BNP)
15. Mosaddek Ali Falu (former MP of BNP)
16. Abdul Khair Bhuiyan (former MP of BNP)
17. Kazi Alauddin (former MP of BNP)
18. Mahi B Chowdhury (former MP of BNP, later becoming an LDP leader)
19. ABM Ruhul Amin Howladar (Secretary General, Jatiya Party, 2004)
20. Maidul Islam (Leader of Ershad’s Jatiya Party)
21. Golam Kibria Tipu (Leader of Ershad’s Jatiya Party, 2004)

Mamun says many more persons, contractors, officers and others came to his office, such as:
  • Former Communications Secretary Rezaul Hayat
  • LGED Chief Engineer Shahidul Hasan
  • Rinku, cousin of the former Air Chief’s wife and nephew of Naziur Rahman Manju. “He would visit my office regularly, says Mamun, adding, “But only up till January 11 this year. On January 30 I rang Rinku up, asking for help.”
  • “I came to know OC Hamid when he was posted in Dhaka as the OC of Kotwali thana. I later met him at Hawa Bhaban. He was quite influential there,” reveals Mamun.
Corruption in the ministries and departments

Communications Ministry
Former Communications Minister Barrister Nazmul Huda unlawfully made massive sums of money through many deals including the monopoly import of 10 thousand CNGs from India in 2002/2003 by the proprietor of Uttara Motors Matiur Rahman, Mamun, GM Siraj and others; the registration of 30 thousand CNG’s; the import of black cabs by GM Siraj through Uttara Motors; commission through Communications Secretary Rezaul Hayat and Roads and Highways Chief Engineer Azadur Rahman; transfers and promotions; etc. His brothers Bazlul Huda and Kamrul Huda had a hand in all this. Mamun says that Nazmul Huda’s brother Bazlul Huda took one crore taka from him in 2003 for a certain work of the Roads and Highways Department.

Dhaka City Corporation
Mayor Sadeq Hossain Khoka amassed a fortune through unlawful commissions on various contracts from 2001-2006. The contracts included various constructions, allocations, leases, beautification of Dhaka City, etc. Orion Group Chairman Obaidul Karim paid Sadeq Hossain Khoka 600 to 700 crore taka as commission for the Jatrabari flyover. Khoka also had large sums of money handed over by various organisations for BNP, but which remain with him.

Telecommunications Ministry
Former Telecommunications Minister Barrister Aminul Huq made a lot of money illegally through T&T, mobile phone, Teletalk, telephones, etc. He got a huge commission for the 400 million dollar mobile telephone and T&T exchange usage deal. “Abu Sayeed Khan of BDNews.com will be able to reveal all about the T&T deals,” maintains Mamun.

Civil Aviation and Tourism Ministry
Mamun says that former State Minister for Civil Aviation and Tourism Mir Naser made a large sum of money illegally through various deals of this ministry. He alleged that Shamim Iskander’s brother-in-law Shahed was also involved.

Power Ministry
According to Mamun, Principal Secretary of the former Prime Minister, Dr. Kamal Siddiqui, and Secretary Khandakar Shahidul Islam, former Power Secretary ANH Akhter Hossain and others are involved in corruption in the power sector. Also former MP M Rashiduzzaman Millat, Khairul Kabir Khokan, Fazlul Huq Milan and others controlled all sorts of work of the Power Development Board.

Works Ministry
Former Works Minister Mirza Abbas and his contractors’ association would control most of the contracts of the Works Ministry and RAJUK. He would also take commission on allocating any land under the Works Ministry, Mamun says. He says that with Mirza Abbas backing, all landfills and dredging work under the ministry went to his brother Mirza Khokan and Gaeswar Chandra Rai. Recently Mirza Abbas unlawfully allocated eight or nine plots of RAJUK at much less the actual price for which, it is said, he received handsome commissions. The persons in whose names the plots were allocated include Haris Chowdhury, Amir Khasru Mahmud Chowdhury and others. The Legal Advisor to the Works Ministry, Abul Hossain, will be able to provide the details, says Mamun.

Shipping Ministry
Former Shipping Minister (retd) Lt Col Akbar Ali Khan’s son Simon Khan got all the contracts for constructing the Dhaka Water Circular route, dredging, construction of the landing station, etc. With the help of Akbar Ali, Simon resorted to corruption in the Double Mooring Container Terminal construction work.

Water Resources Ministry
Mamun reveals that the Water Resources Minster Maj. (retd.) Hafiz Uddin, his nephew Marshal and three or four others monopolised the Water Development Board work.

Finance Ministry
“Finance Minister Saifur Rahman help up approval of purchase committee files of various ministries over the past five years and these would be approved in a matter of months with the help of his younger son Sofiur Rahman Babu. Much corruption was involved,” says Mamun.

Mosaddek Ali Falu
Mamun has much to reveal about Falu: “Former MP Mosaddek Ali Falu over the past five years bought shares in IFIC, City Bank and One Bank, amounting 300 crore taka. He also used his unlawfully earned money to set up the newspaper Amar Desh and TV channels NTV and RTV.” Mamun goes on to say that Falu and Haris Chowdhury has joint business in Malaysia. Not only that, but Falu and Orion Group’s Obaidul Karim own four luxury bungalows on the beaches of Dubai. This is a prime property location for millionaires of the world from which one travels to and fro by helicopter. Falu also became chairman of many joint venture companies. Mamun maintains that when he was the PM’s political secretary, a large amount of the party funds were in his hands, which he eventually never handed in. He was involved in business with the former Prime Minister’s younger son Arafat Rahman Coco.

Haris Chowdhury
“Large sums of money coming to the party from various sources were deposited with former Prime Minister’s Political Secretary Haris Chowdhury,” says Mamun. He would collect this money from transfers in various ministries and offices. It is said that he has a luxurious apartment in Malaysia. Falu and Haris Chowdhury had joint business there too.

Land Ministry
“Mr Farid who worked in the former Prime Minister’s Office,” says Mamun, “received huge payment for the transfer of AC Land in the Land Ministry.”

Former BNP MP Selim alias Silver Selim
Silver Selim is known as the pioneer of manpower business in Bangladesh. He made huge amount of unlawfully earned money through this business, according to Mamun. “Silver Selim was involved big time in the hundi business, illegally transferring huge amounts of money for Falu, Haris Chowdhury and others to Malaysia, the Middle East and other places. Yet this Silver Selim originally was just the driver of the Saudi Ambassador.”

Ali Asghar Lobby
“Former MP Ali Asghar Lobby was an influential Hawa Bhaban man,” says Mamun. He made his money through manpower and hundi business. It is felt that much of his money, as well as Falu and Haris Chowdhury’s wealth, has been smuggled overseas through hundi. He and former Home Minister Babar were involved in getting the Middle East-based Warid’s business deal in Bangladesh. “Lobby got five million dollars for this,” says Mamun, “And Babar even more.”

Customs and Land Port
“Former Finance Minister Saifur Rahman’s son illegally earned large amounts through transfers in the Customs Department. His elder son Naser Rahman would take large payments for false L/Cs with the help of illegal business persons at the land port, tax evasion, over imports, hundi, etc.,” says Mamun.

Benapole Port
Over the past five years, BNP’s Office Secretary Mofiqul Islam Tripti made huge amounts of money by monopolising the C&F business at the Benapole Port.

Debapriya Bhattacharya
Mamun has revelations about economist Debapriya Bhattacharya too: “In 2005-2006 when the Finance Ministry made provision to whiten black money, CPD’s Executive Director Dr. Debapriya Bhattacharya made much of his black money white and in fact he is among one of the top 10 in this regard. Tareq Rahman was very indignant and bitter about this.”

Mohammed Nasim
Mamun says that there are many allegations of corruption against Mohammed Nasim who was Home Minister and Telecommunications Minister during the last rule of Awami League. He would take large payments for police appointments and transfers. “His wife would look after these shady deals,” says Mamun. Marked among his corruption is the 1200 crore taka deal illegally carried out for T&T land phones in 2000/2001. Abu Syed Khan of BDNews.com will be able to reveal more, Mamun says.

BP
Haroun Ferdousi Marshal is the owner of distilleries. “He joined us in business in 2001,” says Mamun, “With the help of Ali Asghar Lobby and MH Selim, our director Farhad Hossain and Babul Kazi bought shares in Rangpur Distilleries and we would often loan them money from our business. They would pay me and Tareq Rahman four lack taka each every month for this. But this was not always regular.”

National Bank Credit Card
Tareq Rahman has two credit cards of national bank for local and foreign currency. “He would use these here and when he travelled abroad,” says Mamun.

Debit from my Singapore Citi Bank account
“I have an account with Citi Bank in Singapore which I opened in 2002,” says Mamun. “Other than my own money, that account also had about 20 crore taka as commission from the Tongi 80 MW power station and work for the Hosaf Group. Tareq knew about this money. So I had a supplementary debit card issued in his name from my account and he would often use this on his trips abroad.”

Fake name FDR
“I opened FDRs and BCDs in fake names in 2002 in Dhaka Bank, Banani Branch and in 2004-2005 in Dutch Bangla Bank, Banani Branch and handed these over to Tareq Rahman,” says Mamun. “The fake names I used are Abdul Mannan, Azharul Islam, Asaduzzaman, Kawsar Mannan, Shafiul Islam, Shafiul Alam and Abul Hossain. The funds for these accounts came from some big construction works.

Basundhara Group
When the son of the proprietor of Basundhara Group, Ahmed Akbar Sobhan (Shah Alam), got involved in a murder case, Lutfozzaman Babar took the entire case under his own care. At the behest of Tareq Rahman, Basundhara Group invested the entire funds for Jai Jai Din, Mamun reveals. They also invested a larger part in NTV. They invested in Channel One. Later differences broke out between Basundhara Group and Jai Jai Din and Basundhara Group stopped its funds. They did not take their 50% share. When Basundhara Housing fell into problems over the water bodies laws, Tareq Rahman and Babar intervened and helped them out. Shah Alam and Director of Basundhara Group Abu Sufian were involved. Sufian says that they spent 50 crore taka for the purpose. And when Shipping Minister Akbar Ali was still alive, Tareq Rahman arranged for Basundhara Group to get lease of land in Chittagong for its own jetty and godown to deal with its imports and exports. “I do not know what the present situation of this is,” says Mamun, “It was Abu Sufian who would oversee the entire matter.”

Obaidul Karim of Orion Group
Obaidul Karim was very close to Tareq, asserts Mamun. He was also very close to Falu, Haris Chowdhury and former Finance Minister Saifur Rahman’s family. And that is why he got the lucrative contracts of Jatrabari flyover, Meghnaghat 450MW power plant, high rise building in Motijheel and extension work on Hotel Sonargaon. The entire investment in the daily Amar Desh was of Obaidul Karim. He, though, maintain that he moved away because of Falu’s harassment. “As far as I know,” says Mamun, “Obaidul Karim would help Tareq financially. And Tareq helped him out in these projects. And at Tareq’s request, he gave us land for One Group’s spinning and denim factories and invested in these, paying at various times in account payee cheques and pay orders. He invested in Channel One.” Karim himself says he had to pay large sums of money to the Mayor, Falu, Haris Chowdhury and the Finance Minister’s family to get all the projects. Falu reportedly misappropriated a large chunk of the money allocated for party funds.

In response to several rejoinders, PROBE states that the report is based on Mamun’s statements made during interrogation and does not contain any misreporting or PROBE’s own views whatsoever.

Source

Last edited by rupantor; June 18, 2007 at 11:59 AM..

Old June 18, 2007, 12:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

This was already posted on the Bangladesh Breaking news thread
Old June 18, 2007, 12:14 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_pagol
This was already posted on the Bangladesh Breaking news thread

Sorry about this then.
I will report this thread to mod to remove or merge
Old June 18, 2007, 05:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Actually,the breaking news thread is becoming a bit distracting.For instance,I never got this news.That thread was initially meant to discuss only the latest breaking news,but now that is used for many other discussions which deserve their own thread to deserve attention,that thread is becoming too vague.
Old June 18, 2007, 05:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Debapriya Bhattacharya
Mamun has revelations about economist Debapriya Bhattacharya too: “In 2005-2006 when the Finance Ministry made provision to whiten black money, CPD’s Executive Director Dr. Debapriya Bhattacharya made much of his black money white and in fact he is among one of the top 10 in this regard. Tareq Rahman was very indignant and bitter about this.”
Well well well...you're civil..and we're savage,sir,savages don't need money,I believe,it's the civil (or evil?) society that need them.
Old June 19, 2007, 07:14 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafin
Well well well...you're civil..and we're savage,sir,savages don't need money,I believe,it's the civil (or evil?) society that need them.
Debpriya Bhattachariya is one of the most audited and scrutinized persons in Bangladesh because of his outspoken nature. Don't let unsubstanciated, ajaira claims from SOBs like Tareque and Mamun cloud your judgement about the good men who're in the process of briging about no less than revolutionary changes in our society. He's also a die-hard supporter of the Bangladeshi cricket team. When Bangladesh beat India in the WC, he SMS-ed us and about a 100 more people the words: "We can do it !" before driving over to TSC to celebrate during wee hours in the morning. Hajir biriyani at 6:45 in the morning topped off the festivities for us that night. He has turned down dozens of offers from Ivy League and Oxbridge colleges to stay in Dhaka and speak out against the economic injustice imposed upon the majority of Bangladeshis by the iniquitous few. Please don't dis my fellow khaas Dhakaiya brother without knowing the facts.

Incidentally, DB is the son of Justice Bhattachariya, a khaas Dhakaiya zamidaar who was a judge even during the British who refused to leave during the partition. That family has played an active part during all of our Independence movements since 1905. That money is just about as old as it can get in Bangladesh. DB also leads the so-called anti-Indian lobby in our civil society.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; June 19, 2007 at 10:36 AM..
Old June 19, 2007, 12:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Debpriya Bhattachariya is one of the most audited and scrutinized persons in Bangladesh because of his outspoken nature. Don't let unsubstanciated, ajaira claims from SOBs like Tareque and Mamun cloud your judgement about the good men who're in the process of briging about no less than revolutionary changes in our society. He's also a die-hard supporter of the Bangladeshi cricket team. When Bangladesh beat India in the WC, he SMS-ed us and about a 100 more people the words: "We can do it !" before driving over to TSC to celebrate during wee hours in the morning. Hajir biriyani at 6:45 in the morning topped off the festivities for us that night. He has turned down dozens of offers from Ivy League and Oxbridge colleges to stay in Dhaka and speak out against the economic injustice imposed upon the majority of Bangladeshis by the iniquitous few. Please don't dis my fellow khaas Dhakaiya brother without knowing the facts.

Incidentally, DB is the son of Justice Bhattachariya, a khaas Dhakaiya zamidaar who was a judge even during the British who refused to leave during the partition. That family has played an active part during all of our Independence movements since 1905. That money is just about as old as it can get in Bangladesh. DB also leads the so-called anti-Indian lobby in our civil society.
Didnt know these,Thanks for informing.
The fact is,I'm just extremely annoyed by the "all talk no work" approach of our so called civil society.
Old June 19, 2007, 01:15 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafin
Didnt know these,Thanks for informing.
The fact is,I'm just extremely annoyed by the "all talk no work" approach of our so called civil society.
I know exactly what you mean bro,but guys like DB are different.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)