facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 1, 2012, 02:27 AM

Default Ashraful in the test squad!?

Per Isam, Akram seems going to pick Ash for the upcoming Tests against WI!
Source: http://www.espncricinfo.com/banglade...ry/588715.html

West Indies in Bangladesh 2012-13
Tough questions for Bangladesh selectors

The Bangladesh Test squad for the West Indies series is likely to be announced next week, and the selectors have plenty to ponder

Mohammad Isam
October 29, 2012

"Despite the mediocrity expected these days from Mohammad Ashraful, his stability in the Twenty20 team as an opener has probably won him a place in the middle-order."

Last edited by kalpurush; November 1, 2012 at 04:29 AM..

Old November 1, 2012, 02:34 AM

Well, what can I say! Akram is selecting a test squad on the baiss of T20 performance!!
And don't we all know how Ash did in those two matches?

And how come Nafees even gets into considerations?? And Imrul might be considered due to Nazzimuddin's failure??

Allah, mati fak koro, ei jibon-a er logga to soy na!!!
Old November 1, 2012, 02:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, AB De, Amla

If Mohammad Ashraful and/or Imrul Kayes are picked for the test squad, then I would say, the selectors haven't learnt from their previous mistakes at all.
"And be true to every promise- for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made." - [Al Qur'an - 17:34]
Old November 1, 2012, 03:09 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Allah bachao.
Old November 1, 2012, 03:14 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush

"Despite the mediocrity expected these days from Mohammad Ashraful, his stability in the Twenty20 team as an opener has probably won him a place in the middle-order."
If the above comment is genuine, it kinda sums up the issues in Bangladesh Cricket IMO. It is wrong on two levels (mixing T20 and then opener versus middle order).

Whether or not a player is good enough for Test cricket is one thing, but to misuse T20 cricket as the guide, is simply staggering.

My faith in Bangladesh selectors, which was never very good has just dropped off the chart.

I believe it doesn't matter who coaches the team anymore, or what plans anyone has for the team, if this is how justification for decisions is going to be made.
Old November 1, 2012, 03:22 AM
Cricket Legend
ICC WT20 2016 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

^^ For once gotta completely agree with Ian, if this was indeed the reasoning given by Akram then I've nothing to say!
Old November 1, 2012, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
If the above comment is genuine, it kinda sums up the issues in Bangladesh Cricket IMO. It is wrong on two levels (mixing T20 and then opener versus middle order).

Whether or not a player is good enough for Test cricket is one thing, but to misuse T20 cricket as the guide, is simply staggering.

My faith in Bangladesh selectors, which was never very good has just dropped off the chart.

I believe it doesn't matter who coaches the team anymore, or what plans anyone has for the team, if this is how justification for decisions is going to be made.
Couldn't agree more Ian!

Unless, we have some visionary persons in our selection panel, I too see no hope. These ashfools are killing our cricket, our hopes and our future. SHAME>
Old November 1, 2012, 03:33 AM
Administrator

Did Akram really say that or was Isam putting his own spin on it? The excerpted part is from a section of the article that seems to be all speculation from Isam.
Old November 1, 2012, 03:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Quote:
Per Isam, Akram seems going to pick Ash for the upcoming Tests against WI!
Source: http://www.espncricinfo.com/bangladesh

Mohammad Isam
October 29, 2012

Whose said this? Akram or Isam?

BTW, link is not working.
Old November 1, 2012, 03:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Just read the whole article and it was a mere speculation from Isam bhai, Akram didn't mention Ash's name at all!
Old November 1, 2012, 03:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razi
Just read the whole article and it was a mere speculation from Isam bhai, Akram didn't mention Ash's name at all!
I also guessed so, even though I have not read the news yet.

The wrong way would be if ASH is selected based on whatever he did in T20. As long as that is not the way selectors are thinking, its alright.

Making news out of speculation!!
Old November 1, 2012, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseer
Whose said this? Akram or Isam?

BTW, link is not working.
Link fixed.

Isam wrote the article, based on what?
If it is not Akram's (selectors) view, then Isam is responsible for his comments, then "shame" goes to him!
Old November 1, 2012, 04:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, AB De, Amla

Whoever is the admin of the "Cricket Bangladesh" page on Facebook just copied my post #3 from this thread word by word and posted it as their status update.
"And be true to every promise- for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made." - [Al Qur'an - 17:34]
Old November 1, 2012, 04:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

If Ashraful is in the team then its pretty obvious that BCB want BD to lose the test series...
Old November 1, 2012, 05:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isnaad
Whoever is the admin of the "Cricket Bangladesh" page on Facebook just copied my post #3 from this thread word by word and posted it as their status update.
LOL Isnaad, this is nothing new, infact most of theses fb pages' contents/views/pictures are being taken from BC without giving any credit whatsoever.
Old November 1, 2012, 05:41 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Any smart *** spot fixers

When Bangladesh is back to forgetful Test arena again after such a loooong time, it will be normal to see lots of wickets throwing as batsmen wobbling around & lustful towards in making of horizontal shots regularly at least in the first test. I really don’t like to blame selectors here to build up any wrong squad that may result in another innings defeat. IMO They have a good opportunity here to do some experiment.
Question should be ask abt Ashraful, if he turns out to be one of the least batting performers (among many), will he be sacked at 2nd test? As it's easy to blame on him, like always.
Old November 1, 2012, 06:07 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont

In general, yes, you are correct. But I feel that in general our selectors have done an honest job for the most part. Their hindsights, whenever they ocurred, are more a problem of our limitations. Ashraful has over 200 caps because we really never had anyone better. Even for this WI series, unless the selectors make gutsy calls and draft Soumya, Anamul, and Mominul we are guaranteed to have at least one or two batsman who don't provide any advantage over having an Ashraful.

Secondly, I think some of the major sides also engage in a bit of this "optimistic selection" albeit not as regularly as we do. I remember during the 2010 England tour, when Eoin Morgan made his debut, the commies on TMS where saying that Morgan's selection was particularly under the microscope since he hadn't made "a mountain of first class runs" and was selected on his T20/ODI reputation of being a "game-maker".

West Indies have done that with Narine. Possibly with Bishoo as well. I think Ajantha Mendis got his start with Sri Lanka in similar unconventional fashion.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old November 1, 2012, 06:26 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

sorry to say but this is yet another pointless Ashraful thread.
It's just Isam's speculation, Akram said nothing about it as it seems reading the interview.
Even if it happens won't be anything new as selectors love Ash a lot.

Anyway, what is more important is the opening spot, Nazim or Kaedge, let's see who they pick, probably NAzim although Isam bhai thinks probably Kaedge.
Old November 1, 2012, 06:27 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

No mention of Nazmul which means he'll almost certainly be ignored again after picking up 3/80 on a dead track in the last Test he played and 4/46 in his last FC match. And picking Ashraful to ensure stability in the middle-order? Are you frickin' kidding me? If you want stability pick Naeem Islam. Imrul/Nazim, SN, Ashraful, Rubel, Shahadat. Bhaloi. Can't wait for this series to begin.

edit: It does seem that Isam made that up. Ash has done nothing to get back in the Test team.
Old November 1, 2012, 06:44 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
No mention of Nazmul which means he'll almost certainly be ignored again after picking up 3/80 on a dead track in the last Test he played and 4/46 in his last FC match.
yep as usual Nazmul is not even in the discussion. I guess we will select from Abul, Shahadat and Shafiul
Old November 1, 2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
sorry to say but this is yet another pointless Ashraful thread.
Thanks for the compliments!

It's not an Ash thread, rather a call to the selectors to act wisely!! You pick up a squad on performance basis, not emotion!!!

And, if you read carefully, I wrote: "Per Isam, Akram seems going to pick Ash for the upcoming Tests against WI!"
Old November 1, 2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
No mention of Nazmul which means he'll almost certainly be ignored again after picking up 3/80 on a dead track in the last Test he played and 4/46 in his last FC match. And picking Ashraful to ensure stability in the middle-order? Are you frickin' kidding me? If you want stability pick Naeem Islam. Imrul/Nazim, SN, Ashraful, Rubel, Shahadat. Bhaloi. Can't wait for this series to begin.
I would also pick Nazmul ahead of Shafiul/Abul.
Nazmul's accuracy of line and length could trouble WI a lot as they seems love to play big shots often.
Old November 1, 2012, 07:06 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Quote:
Thanks for the compliments!

It's not an Ash thread, rather a call to the selectors to act wisely!! You pick up a squad on performance basis, not emotion!!!

And, if you read carefully, I wrote: "Per Isam, Akram seems going to pick Ash for the upcoming Tests against WI!"
According to the title it's still a Ash related thread.
As it's per Isam we don't need to worry, Ash might not be even in their(selectors/Akram's) mind.
And selectors or BCB don't care what we think otherwise they wouldn't make Jogashon the head coach,in BC after the T20 cup many of us were saying Jogashon should be sacked as our bowling didn't improve under him, but they made him our interim head coach.
Old November 1, 2012, 07:31 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isnaad
I believe the admin of that page is a member here. If you read this, please stop 'copy & paste' habit of yours. Its not the first time, i have noticed it before too. I hope you are not that dumb that you can't even write 1/2 lines of English in your own word. Worst case scenario, if you can't write in your own then at least mention the source from where you have taken it. Thanks
Old November 1, 2012, 07:44 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Nothing ignites fire like Ash !!
BCites need daily doze of Ash tonic.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]