facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 4, 2005, 12:04 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default The Problem with Bangladesh and Her Fans

As I write this, it is 5 hours before play on the 2nd day of the 2nd test between England and Bangladesh from Chester-le-Street. Bangladesh were bowled out for 104 and at close of play on day 1, England reached 269-3, with Mortaza taking 2-58, and pace bowlers accounting for all 3 wickets.

The tour can be summarized briefly as follows:

- an innings and 261 run defeat in the 1st test at Lords
- Javed Omar and Khaled Mashud leading the way in batting
- at the moment, Mashrafee and Rafique are our only test class bowlers, at least for these seaming conditions
- poor fielding especially in the slips

Understandably, we the fans have been quite dissappointed with these results. As is usually the case, we have been guilty of unrealistic expectations. Since this forum is the place for lengthy analysis, here is my take on the situation.

Firstly, 2 weeks ago, there was much talk in the international media of demoting Bangladesh to a 2-tier test system. This was rejected by one and all in this forum. However over the course of the last 24 hours, at least a dozen, and surely more than that, members on this forum have embraced this 2-tier talk.

Those of you who do so, act in accordance with hyper-emotionalization. When Bangladesh beat Zimbabwe not too long ago you dreamed of drawing a test against England. A few weeks later, you are in utter despair.

We as fans must learn to approach this game in a logical and rational, realistic manner. Bangladesh should never, ever be relegated to 2-tier. Nor should Zimbabwe or any other team which has gotten test status so far. We will improve. How do I know this?

We have improved since we got test status, we have youngsters full of talent, and we have had an undefeated U-19 tour of Australia.

Also, would you expect our cricketers to play football to learn how to play test cricket? Of course not. So why suggest that we play non-test cricket to better prepare for test cricket? If football practice makes good footballers, and cricket practice makes good cricketers, then test cricket is the only thing which will make good test cricketers. Simple logic!

Now as for our currect performance and subsequent dissappointment. Was this a dissappointing performance? Well, that depends on your expectations. he who believed that bangladesh would lose inside 1 day, will surely hail this series as a great success. So you see its all relative.

We must have sound expectations. Lets us examine all the elements in our favor and against us.

Against us:

- completely alien playing conditions
- cold weather
- lack of front-foot batting technique
- idiotic batting in Lords test
- lack of real experience
- foreign media pressure
- domestic media pressure
- our young age
- constant criticisms

In our favor:

Nothing.

In light of this, the fact that we are scoring runs of any sort, taking wickets of any amount should be enough to please us.

No one expected us to win, so why do we complain when we lose. We are learning something, though you may not perceive it at the moment.

Come September you will see a better performance in the Sri Lanka series. Even if we lose by an innings (and I doubt we will), we will play better than here, and as I have just shown, our performance here is not that "bad."

With every massive defeat against great opposition, our team gets stronger. With every win against weak teams, our team stays the same. With every win against good opposition our team learns more and becomes stronger.

Is it not just that the fans of Bangladesh display, emotionally, the same stability, rationality, and patience we ask of our team?

We "failed" in the Asia Cup but then beat India and Zimbabwe. We did not die as team or as a nation; why die as fans? The world is not over, all is not lost, and just as the Phoenix burns, so too does it rise from the ashes to be all the more magnificent.

Edited on, June 4, 2005, 5:08 AM GMT, by al Furqaan.

Old June 4, 2005, 12:13 AM
Street Cricketer

Bangladeshi fans doesn't understand Loyalty.
Old June 4, 2005, 12:16 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

we as fans are all loyal...its not about that...its just about opening our eyes and seeing what is really there, not what we think or hope is there.

its about being patient and understanding. its about being rational and logical. sharks don't fly and we shouldnt expect them to. so why expect bangladesh to hammer england. showing a fight is what we are doing. if these matches were in bangladesh, it would be much closer. i can bet on that.
Old June 4, 2005, 01:37 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

i agree with u AF...

but see when people ( in this forum) criticise or talk nonsense about BD test status or 2 tier..

i think its actually out of utter dissapointment and despair...

this forum is a great place where we all have one thing in common...
the passion for our country and our cricket...

and this is also a great forum to express our thoughts..
let them be good or bad...

people here have talked about kicking bashar out of the team or calling stupid ....blah blah blah...
but im sure they didnt mean it...

no one is unrealistic here about our chances...
but i reckon we all r optimistic though..
cuz if it wasnt optimism and passion...who would have stayed with team with loses after loses after loses...

i reckon reading the match thread of T1 BD V ENG would have taken long time than watchin the whole game...

at the end of the day...doenst matter where u live...
from sydney to seattle...tokyo to toronto...

we all come together..bangladeshies from around the world..for one cause...our cricket team...

so..i say let everyone express what they want to...
its kinda good to read actually what our own people think about our own team....
Old June 4, 2005, 10:37 AM
Street Cricketer

Disloyal fans have no right to cheer now. Don't you have any shame. Whoever was asking Bashar to leave the team. What about now. Do you like his 4's.
Old June 4, 2005, 11:07 AM
Street Cricketer

Ha hutash premikra ekhon dorgondho jugto moja mukhe dia boshe asse!!!
Old June 4, 2005, 11:16 AM
Street Cricketer

Umpire just robbed Bashars wkt. It was edged not LBW.
Old June 4, 2005, 11:21 AM
Street Cricketer

50.1 SP Jones to Aftab Ahmed, no run, left alone outside off
Later replays show the Habibul Bashar decision was a little
unfortunate for the batsman

Who is the umpire! Dame umpire is such a looser!
Old June 4, 2005, 06:19 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by al Furqaan
As I write this, it is 5 hours before play on the 2nd day of the 2nd test between England and Bangladesh from Chester-le-Street. Bangladesh were bowled out for 104 and at close of play on day 1, England reached 269-3, with Mortaza taking 2-58, and pace bowlers accounting for all 3 wickets.

.......................... We "failed" in the Asia Cup but then beat India and Zimbabwe. We did not die as team or as a nation; why die as fans? The world is not over, all is not lost, and just as the Phoenix burns, so too does it rise from the ashes to be all the more magnificent.

Edited on, June 4, 2005, 5:08 AM GMT, by al Furqaan.
Post of the series!

I really feel pity for those fans who still think we don’t deserve our test status, simply because this is an immature ego defense system on their part; it’s known as what is called “Reaction formation”. As I said in another thread (Do we really deserve to play Test Cricket???), Bangladesh did play some good cricket in their short tenure in the Test arena. Bangladesh team can only improve, and its supporters can only swell in pride and joy. We need to be patient, and support our team when they need it the most.

Test cricket is not the same as it was 129 years ago. Bangladesh arrived at a time when teams like WI, NZ, ZIM, PK, and SL are showing similar routine as we did at Lords. They are established, and we are on the process of becoming established. Our home structure is growing, U19 are becoming unbending, and things like these are only going in one direction. So Lets just sit tight.
Old June 4, 2005, 06:59 PM
Club Cricketer

Well, I simply don't get the point that as a bangaldeshi how can we even think of proposing the scond tier system??? That's odd ....very very odd thinking.Win or loss whatever it is we must have to support our team. I wrote it before in another thread and writing once again aginst this odd idea. I fully agree with AF....
If it was not the umpire and the cheater jones we might be in a lot better position at the end of the day. Nothing is in our favor...

Well done BD boys.....we are proud of you doesnt matter that we are loosing......

Edited on, June 5, 2005, 12:38 AM GMT, by dancin in the rain.
Old June 5, 2005, 04:13 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Alastair Cook

You spoke my mind AF.

Many of our fans are very emotional. As you said, unrealistic expectations --> hyper-emotionalization--> complain.

A message to our desperate fans ---> Please consider the facts, players experience, conditions and statistics of Bangladesh. Otherwise you are just watching cricket, but not observing/Enjoying.

Edited on, June 5, 2005, 9:21 AM GMT, by Mav.
Old June 5, 2005, 08:12 AM
Test Cricketer

Well. the only problem we bd fans have.. is .. we r just too much of emtional nation. i dont believe that we dont expect too much from our cricketers. Comon.. just see.. where the earth will u find fans.. supporting a team highly for even to take the game to third day??.. I dont think. its too much to ask from BD team. BD team should be lucky to have such die hard fans who support all the time.

Only problem.. we tend to carry away too muc with Emoton. We need to learn keep cool.:
Old June 5, 2005, 09:28 AM
ODI Cricketer

That also means inviting foreign friends joining our forum- supporting our team and above all showing them proper courtesy and welcoming their thoughts and opinions also.
What we do is drive away foreigners, make them feel small and as a result we then cuss these "westerners" for keeping us in the dark about everything!
All of us needs to be educated and taught how ppl should be treated (as friends not enemies)! We have too much hatred in ourselves!
This is a global village- the borders are only there in our minds; if we know how to give respect, we sure can earn their respect also!