facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 10, 2006, 07:31 AM
Test Cricketer

Angry Captaincy of Bashar

I know this is an old question asked again and again. After being lucky to watch most of the bangladeshi bowling till the end of the day.. there are few things.. i found not right bashar. His captaincy is alaways under question and after today. it hurts me more than anytime else. He did great till 6th wicket, but. then. he swithced back to his shell again. At 93 for 6, any captain in the world at any level of game would simply go for the kill. His frist mistake was to bring jr so late.. He is our match winner.. why cant basher understand this. When,,wind iis blowing, uneven bounce.. u need a spinner who can also turn viciously. Jr is the one in our team. He really would have ripped aussie batting apart today if he was given chance to bowl early. Eeven when he brought back.. he did his tric immediately. His dismissal of Clark is as good as any great dissmisal by a great spin bowler. I would persoanlly recon it near the famous Share warne dismissal of Gatting in 93. Still he was completely underbowled.

What most annoyed me.. is after 6th wicket. With Lee.. hardly reading Jr.. and Gilly.. was playing excellent to Rafiq.. bashar still continued wtih Rafiq. In my view.. He should have allowed Jr to ball Lee and bring Rajib to face Gilly. Rajib would have been a much unsettiling for Gilly at this late stage with low light, cloudy weather and Away moving short pitch ball to the lefty with good amount of pace. INsteead.. he stopeed Jr.. and brought Masree in his place.. wha tis that??.. Gilly.. was playing near perfect to rafiq.. and bashar will continued to le thim bow Gilly. I hate such approach. i was really dreaming for an upset and I actaully was getting stronger . since. very few were actaully playing Jr with any sort of comfort.. even playin gwith a cross bat............ This was soo encouraging.. only to get dented by this last one hour crap decisions from our captain. It acually might prove very ver costly for BD. sice.. Gilly.. once settled.. would actaulyl take the score beyond Bd's reach all by himself alone. What a pathetic Captaincy by Bashar when.. he was required to take some real smart decision.

I am soo dishearted!!

Last edited by Ejaj; April 10, 2006 at 07:35 AM..

Old April 10, 2006, 07:47 AM
Test Cricketer

i understand your frustation. same goes here. we had a chance to bowl them out quick. But u see!! it is australia theycan turn around any time. Abt basher,not sure whether he took the right decision of bringing Mash into attack. But things might look different from the TV.He may have taken the right decision at that point.For an example, u probably heard abt the riot in guahati india. From the seat, the field looked completely dry but if u are actualy in the field, u would find is soapy. So the fans turned the situation into riot. So same goes here. Basher was there, he is aware of the situation better than us. So relax my friend!!
Old April 10, 2006, 07:59 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny747
i understand your frustation. same goes here. we had a chance to bowl them out quick. But u see!! it is australia theycan turn around any time. Abt basher,not sure whether he took the right decision of bringing Mash into attack. But things might look different from the TV.He may have taken the right decision at that point.For an example, u probably heard abt the riot in guahati india. From the seat, the field looked completely dry but if u are actualy in the field, u would find is soapy. So the fans turned the situation into riot. So same goes here. Basher was there, he is aware of the situation better than us. So relax my friend!!
amusing example. thanks mate.
Well.. i was in favour of not let aussie settle in. but. this is where my frustation came to play. bashar really allowed batsman like Gilly to settle down. He alone can take this gme well awy from BD............. he is such a toothless captain.

Last edited by Ejaj; April 10, 2006 at 08:04 AM..
Old April 10, 2006, 09:09 AM
Cricket Legend

On the contrary, his captaincy was excellent.

He rotated the bowlers, kept them fresh, kept the correct field placings and basically did his part in putting the team in a position to win.

Ian Whitchurch
Old April 10, 2006, 10:23 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

It may have sth to do with the fact that we'r still not over our defensive mindset (better be safe than sorry)....
i'm sure Bashar will go for the kill early morning tomorrow.
Old April 10, 2006, 10:25 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I'm a little disappointed also.. Bashar should have rested Rafique and bowled Shahadat instead of Masri. Shahadat bowled in good lines and his pace could have gotte Lee out.

Tomorrow I'd like to see Aussies all-out by 200-220, which will give us around 200 runs lead. If we score 200 more 2nd inning we can set them a big total.
Old April 10, 2006, 10:39 AM
Cricket Legend

I too think Enamul was under used today and Bashar's field placing should have been more aggressive after Australia was six down (yeah, I know, there is no point whinning about Bashar's negetive field placing, like a broken record, we just have to bear with him )
Old April 10, 2006, 11:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

You guys should also take into consideration that this is an unfamiliar territory (I mean on the top against AUSSIE) for Bashar to be in, so it would take him a while to even accept the reality that BD is actually in a winning mode, or as some of you said in a killer mode, against Australia.

But overall I am pretty satisfied and would be open for improvement tomorrow from Bashar's end as a captain.
Old April 10, 2006, 12:40 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Bashar did an excellent job today. Took correct decisions about bowling change but I think he should be little morfe aggressive tomorrow morning and should go for kill.
Old April 10, 2006, 12:51 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW
On the contrary, his captaincy was excellent.

He rotated the bowlers, kept them fresh, kept the correct field placings and basically did his part in putting the team in a position to win.

Ian Whitchurch
Well. i wont really say.. bashar didnt do well... but. he could have done much better today.. specially. in last one hour. 6 wickets down.. and Gilly already started playing excellently rafiq.. I really didnt find any asnwer. why bashar allowed Gilly to settle in and get his confidance back. If he were bit more attacking.. Bd could have got one or two more wickets today. Jr was quite unplayablel at tha ttime.. and it was only a matter of time. Lee would have fell for .
Old April 10, 2006, 12:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Stop Complaining. What else you expect from him. I am sure if Enam and Shahadat were bowling little more today and belted a bit, some of the members here could easily say, why did not he use Mashrafi and Rafiq. They are our best two bowlers.

Guys, get relaxed and wish as good possible to BD.
Old April 10, 2006, 03:11 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Courtney Walsh

Some people are just never happy. And yes, you guessed it right, those are kind of people opens this kind of discussion thread. We need to learn how to appreciated in good times. We should be just happy that we are on to of the Australians.
Old April 10, 2006, 04:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikonwall
Some people are just never happy.
True. Its like you finish one task and your manager says, good, NOW get back to the next job!

Gavaskar made a comment:
"The only reason Bashar is so far behind in the 1st slip, is maybe he can a have a good view of the game!". Slips were set way too far behind for this slow pitch. The result was a sitter dropped catch in the 2nd slip, which fell short.

ESPN commentators repeatedly wanted to have a little more aggressive field setting, as Harsha said: "By looking at the field setting it seems as if they are telling the batsman you play your game and if you make mistakes we will take it"...Ponting was setting close fileding even when the batsmen were scoring freely.

Bottom line, Bashar is doing okay, but he could have done better and there is a room for improvement. Some members nicely pointed that out and there is nothing wrong with it.
Old April 10, 2006, 04:37 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Sumon was excellent today. i was impressed
Old April 10, 2006, 05:21 PM
ODI Cricketer

Sumon's captaincy was fine except I just can't stand the fact that he gave Ashraful the last over.

That was a stupid decision, especially with Gilchrist on strike.

Why would he do that.

That kind of swung the momentum for Australia psyhcologically.

If that last over was given to Mash and was a maden the score would've been 134/6, Gilchrist wouldnt have had his 50 and the score would've looked much better on paper.

A difference of 11 runs is huge when your score is so low.
Old April 10, 2006, 05:30 PM
Cricket Legend

He was trying to buy a wicket ... invite Gilly to slog the part time leggie, get a top edge or sky something, and then it's pretty much over.

You can try stuff like that with runs in the bank.

Ian
Old April 10, 2006, 05:36 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW
He was trying to buy a wicket ... invite Gilly to slog the part time leggie, get a top edge or sky something, and then it's pretty much over.

You can try stuff like that with runs in the bank.

Ian
You guys want aggressive captaincy right? Well having Ash bowl the last over of the day, like the decision to bring Rafique the over before tea, were both pages taken out of the Mark Taylor book of captaincy!
Old April 10, 2006, 08:05 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Master Blaster

This is not a good question to ask. As you can see, "Korme porichoi". A man did his work, now see it, and realise it.

Use your head, don't be biased.
Old April 11, 2006, 12:34 AM
Test Cricketer

In reply to some of the posters.. who have rather criticised me for not being content with what bashar did yesterday... I would like to tell u all that.. the aftershock of the mistakes that Bashar did last day.. will be shown to u all. and this Gilly will simply take the score beyond our expected target by miles. He will alone destroy bangladeshi bowlers and this is soo sad. Being a team like Bangladesh.. oppertunity like this doesnt come that often and whenever you do get such.. the best thing is to use it right and use it well. Unlike you guys.. I dont want to be just content with a good performance on last day.. for me.. I would want to see bangladesh take every oppertunity that is given and make the best use of it. Bashar had the chance to totally unsettle Gilly. and could cause one or two more wickets to fall yesterday... unfortunately.. he failed when it mattered most. So sorry guys.. if i cant be content wiht Bashar performance unlike you. Its just not my philosophy to misuse a rare oppertunity.
Old April 11, 2006, 02:35 AM

there hasnt been a single match where bashar's field settings and strategy hasnt disappointed me at some point or the other. Same goes with todays post-lunch strategy (albeit Gillespie's wicket). He isnt being proactive enough to take the new ball and bring in a change while Gilchrist is belting Enam. BD is losing momentum regardless. And the overworn ball is getting even older and useless. I'm disappointed
Old April 11, 2006, 02:46 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: আশরাফুল

I was not in favour of Bashar's captaincy at any point of time. He has set another example of bad captaincy today.
Old April 11, 2006, 06:05 AM
Test Cricketer

my worst fear is taking shape. Bashar's poor captaincy. cause Bd to loose atleast hundred more runs of lead.. and our 2nd innings battings isnt showing anything different than we used to see. So.. to sum up.. loosing this 100 plus runs. will be a very costly matter when Aussie will roll over with their powerful battings in the 4th innings. God. I wish , I could be wrong this time.
Old April 11, 2006, 08:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Whining about Bashar's captaincy is as useful as why JO gets to play instead of Manjarul Rana or why Kapali should not convert to Islam if he wants to play cricket for Bangladesh (did I really say that, noooooo).

There were plenty of things you could point out about Ponting's captaincy as well. MacGill was brought in late. Captains tend to go with their brand name spinner, that's why the call him the brand name spinner. Ponting's decision to not put a second slip on Day 3 gifted Bangladesh at least a few boundaries and probably Nafees would have gone earlier.

However, Bashar has his flaws no doubt. I was half asleep at the time, so could not follow the commentary on why he didn't take the new ball at lunch. All in all, we have a problem going for the kill, maybe it's not all Bashar's fault, the rest of the team has to perform as well.

I think what hurt the team the most re: Bashar in this match was his two crazy dismissals.
Old April 11, 2006, 08:36 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

i just didn't understand, why he did not take new ball
Old April 11, 2006, 08:43 AM
BC Editorial Team

Offtopic, but what do you guys think about Ponting's captaincy ?