facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old March 12, 2009, 11:39 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Pakistani police taken hostage while arresting 3/3 suspect

Share this story! del.icio.us digg Reddit Furl Fark TailRank Ma.gnolia NewsVine Simpy Spurl

Police taken hostage while arresting 3/3 suspect

* Alleged terrorist’s neighbours disarm police, help Ali Shair escape
* Advocate says villagers got furious after police opened indiscriminate fire, injured children

By Rana Tanveer

LAHORE: One of the suspects of the Liberty terrorist attack who was arrested managed to escape after his neighbours intervened and attacked the police party, eventually taking the police as hostages, Daily Times learnt on Wednesday.

Sources said on directions of the Sahiwal district police officer (DPO), the City Chichawatni Police Station House Officer (SHO) Rao Shafqaat along with Elite Force personnel, raided and arrested one Ali Shair from the jurisdiction of Renala Police Station in Okara. The police had wanted Shair for his alleged involvement in the 3/3 terrorist attack in Lahore and several other cases of murder and robbery. The Punjab government had announced Rs 600,000 as his head money.

Police robbed: Police sources said they had arrested Shair but his neighbours succeeded in arranging his escape by taking the police as hostages after seizing their weapons. They said the accused escaped with nine sub machine guns, one 444-bore rifle, two 30-bore pistols, a wireless set, six mobile phones, and Rs 50,000 in cash after robbing the police. However, after intervention of other police officers, the hostages were released. They said over 200 people attacked the police with sophisticated weapons and took the policemen as hostages. They said the policemen were seen in torn uniform after the attack of villagers and were admitted at the Sahiwal District Headquarters Hospital for treatment.

No case had been registered against the accused for attacking or robbing police officials until the filing of this report. Instead, Advocate Mehmood filed a first information report (FIR) against the station house officer (SHO) and nine unidentified policemen at the Renala Police Station for injuring his brother Asif. He said Asif was playing in the village when policemen opened indiscriminate fire and injured him. Mehmood said the act of opening indiscriminate fire had angered the people, who then attacked the police. He denied knowing Shair and alleged there was no criminal in sight.

Renala Police Station moharrar Amjad Hussain said the injured police officials had not filed a complaint for registration of the FIR. He said SHO Rao Shafqaat was in the hospital after suffering serious injuries. He said the other policemen were in stable condition. The moharrar said the area had been declared a zone extremely unsafe for the police but it still raided the area to arrest the criminal.

Source: http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...-3-2009_pg13_7

Old March 12, 2009, 11:45 PM
Test Cricketer

This sounds funny, but is a serious matter. The police are not capable of dealing with the terrorists and the local people (common men) are armed and supporting the terrorists. Where is Pakistan heading?
Old March 13, 2009, 02:05 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

We all know where they are heading.
2015, i still stand by my bold prediction.

If you not familiar what i mean, i predicted a little while ago in some other thread that by 2015, pakistan will be no more. It would split and be broken into two or more independent states, one surely going to the talibans .
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old March 13, 2009, 02:26 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz

If you not familiar what i mean, i predicted a little while ago in some other thread that by 2015, pakistan will be no more. It would split and be broken into two or more independent states, one surely going to the talibans .
You may be right and if Taliban indeed gets a part, there will be continued violence in our part of the world. Wonder if we will leave a reasonably peaceful world for our children to live in.
Old March 13, 2009, 02:42 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz

That's what a Ny Times/Washington Post article said a couple of months back.

Situation is Pak is very bad indeed and the political culture (Which include Military) & very strong regionalism makes it worse.
Old March 13, 2009, 11:40 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
That's what a Ny Times/Washington Post article said a couple of months back.
I dont read NY Times or Washington Post!!
Believe it or not, my prediction was based on my own calculation!!
Now its good to know some big name newspaper was saying the same thing!!
Old March 13, 2009, 11:58 AM
ODI Cricketer

RABZ, you sound like one of those indians and pakistanis who wish ill on us Bangladeshis, but this time it's the other way around.
Old March 13, 2009, 12:50 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

USS01, I would admit having a certain feelings for pakistan, the reason of which is pretty obvious.

But my prediction is not based on those ill feelings, neither it is wishful thinking.

The way i see it, its only a matter of time and after taking few things in consideration, i put my money on 2015.

You can give/take couple of years.
Old March 13, 2009, 01:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by uss01
RABZ, you sound like one of those indians and pakistanis who wish ill on us Bangladeshis, but this time it's the other way around.
It would take a miracle for Pakistan to avoid Rabz' prediction. It may not be as early as 2015 but that is the path that they are surely heading towards.
Old March 13, 2009, 01:46 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdchamp20
It would take a miracle for Pakistan to avoid Rabz' prediction. It may not be as early as 2015 but that is the path that they are surely heading towards.
Wherever it is heading .. we need a stable Pakistan .I

It might feed on our egos to see Pak spiral down but the reality is if Pak goes down we all (India ,BD) will go down bit by bit.

We are too interconnected...

Pak leaders need to get their act together.Unfortunately the current crop (or even the leaders in distant memory) are misfits.They either are incompetent or Military rulers who have no business in the Executive.

Also, I see that all the major leaders are from the Panjab and Sind belt.They need to involve the other regions as well condidering the differences in race /culture and Language.
Old March 13, 2009, 02:27 PM
BC Editorial Team

Sensible POV bharat. It's fashionable these days to bad mouth Pakistan. United we stand (the whole subcontinent) and divided we fall.
Old March 13, 2009, 02:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
Sensible POV bharat. It's fashionable these days to bad mouth Pakistan. United we stand (the whole subcontinent) and divided we fall.
United prior to 71, we were demonized by the west P, raped, killed and our resources looted. Devided we are happier, better off and with a brighter future prospect. Just a thought that came to my mind...
Old March 13, 2009, 02:48 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Quote:
..I want to buy a plot in that land called Utopia where you are..
Old March 13, 2009, 08:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Hey Rabz while your 2015 prediction still looks a little distant but the country is clearly dissintigrating into chaos. Today Sherri Rahman (the Pakistan information minster) resigned cuz Mr 10% (the current president of Pakistan) banned Geo TV from telecasting in some of the major cities inside pakistan. Actually the move really made me admire this lady and made me think if only the information minster during the 4 party alliance rule had the balls and stood up for Ekushey TV.
Old March 14, 2009, 11:41 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Very well said Bharat.
The whole subcontinent is slowly falling into chaos after chaos right in front of our eyes.
Everything is falling apart and as you said, we all are too interconnected with each other.
The ripple effect would be felt by the whole 1.5 billion of us.

Only if we could stop fighting amongst ourselves first.

I have always wondered what an undivided subcontinent would have looked like had we not parted our ways. Surely things could not be any worse than what it is right now already!!
Old March 14, 2009, 05:16 PM
Cricket Sage

Pak Info Minister Resigns.

Watch Sherry Rahman, Pak Information Minister.
Old March 14, 2009, 05:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
I totally agree. Stability in the region is tantamount for the well being of all the countries. If one of your neighbour has instability it would trickle into your country either today or tomorrow. I think people are misunderstanding razab bhai's comment and mixing it up with our independence. These two points are not at all related.
Old March 14, 2009, 05:42 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by layperson
I totally agree. Stability in the region is tantamount for the well being of all the countries. If one of your neighbour has instability it would trickle into your country either today or tomorrow. I think people are misunderstanding razab bhai's comment and mixing it up with our independence. These two points are not at all related.
Pak will never be stable untill divided. Some people simply can't stop being impartial. The resentments East Pakistan had, same things are boiling in NWFP & Baluchistan for half a century. Every South Asian wants to see a stable Pakistan, but how? Who will teach them 'How to be fair to all regions of it's own country'?'

If that was possible, Bangladesh wouldn't be born.
Old March 14, 2009, 07:16 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
United prior to 71, we were demonized by the west P, raped, killed and our resources looted. Devided we are happier, better off and with a brighter future prospect. Just a thought that came to my mind...
Prior to 71 the subcontinent was not united bhai ... You had India and Pakistan fighting wars. And we weren't really united. We had an Eastern wing being subjugated by the Western wing. I mean united as equals. Perhaps you thought I was espousing some revisionist, Nijami philosophy?
Old March 14, 2009, 07:18 PM
BC Editorial Team

For the man who'd drive an ultimate driving machine, surely the ultimate dream is not a bad one to aspire to?
Old March 14, 2009, 07:21 PM
BC Editorial Team

And S, thanks. I don't understand the 71 comments. I _did_ say "the entire subcontinent".
Old March 15, 2009, 07:53 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
In my judgment we got only 3 things out of the separation: a national identity of our own, better (more neutral) foreign policy and increased distance from Talibanism. I find the potential economic benefits hard to believe. Now the looters are our own people instead of some Pakistani.
Old March 15, 2009, 10:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire_x86
In my judgment we got only 3 things out of the separation: a national identity of our own, better (more neutral) foreign policy and increased distance from Talibanism. I find the potential economic benefits hard to believe. Now the looters are our own people instead of some Pakistani.
the ONLY three things that we got means the world to me and most of bangladeshi citizens.

1) National identity - I never had the misfortune to be a citizen of Pakistan since i was born after liberation and I cannot imagine being any thing other than a bangladeshi. While people may settle elsewhere and become American or Canadian nationals but in spirit they are always bengalis.

2) Increased distance from Talibanism-- I guess just this one fact is enough to ensure Foreign investment hence new job for growing workforce. A better image around the world.

3) If you do your research you will find that the projected Economic growth of Bangladesh in the next couple of years is 6% and above even after economic crisis. While the growth rate of Pakistan has decreased last year along with increased inflation the same cannot be said about Bangladesh. Infact the economist termed the constant 6% growth over the last 5-6 years even after massive corruption as the "Bangladesh Paradox". I do have high hopes for my country and you should too..

Finally sorry Razab for diverting your statement in the wrong track. Yes We can definately work together to achieve a common goal. SAARC and now SAAT(south Asian task force) is formed based on the unifying believe. I have nothing against it as long as you are not suggesting that we sacrifise our national identity.
Old March 16, 2009, 12:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Pak will never be stable untill divided. Some people simply can't stop being impartial. The resentments East Pakistan had, same things are boiling in NWFP & Baluchistan for half a century. Every South Asian wants to see a stable Pakistan, but how? Who will teach them 'How to be fair to all regions of it's own country'?'

If that was possible, Bangladesh wouldn't be born.
Ok then I have a question for you: What do you consider as Pakistan? The breaking up of east and west pakistan made complete sense because we had a huge country in between us and the language was different. However the pakistan that exists now is pretty much one strech of land with no other sovereign country standing in between. So how would you propose a break up of Pakistan that would ensure peace? I think breaking it up is not an option as that would only create animosity among the broken up state and the rest of pakistan. What pakistan needs is a full on attack on the negative elements that occupy the country. An attack that should be spearheaded by the country's army. I know few pakistanis myself and they definitely dont think like terrorist and would only love to see the bad guys ( or religions fundoos) being terminated. Alhtough I find Pakistani guys to be the most perverted among all race of people I have come acrosss but that is irrelevant here
Old March 16, 2009, 08:35 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by layperson
Alhtough I find Pakistani guys to be the most perverted among all race of people I have come acrosss but that is irrelevant here
Bangalir shob kothar shesh kotha ei ektai...that is, paikka ra koto kharap r amra koto bhalo.

Kinda funny if you think about it.

Reminds me of this aunt of mine. At the time of my wedding, we went to get jewellery, and the guy there was a bit rude. He's from South Africa, but a desi. So she said to me that he's paikka, and that they have roshun you know where! I laughed, and went home. just a year later when I went back there to get my wife's anniversary gift, I remembered that thing my aunt said...and this time, I realized that he's nowhere close to a paikka. He's an Indian fellow, and not even a muslim (as I said Salaam to him, and created some awkward situation). But shob kothar shesh kotha...eita paikka'r dosh.