facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 14, 2005, 07:40 AM
Editor of The Cricketer Magazine
Former U.K. editor of ESPNCricinfo

Default Cricket in New York

Hello people,

This is an extract from an article on Cricinfo today ("Elsewhere in USA"). Does this apply to any of you guys? It would be interesting to hear from you if it does.

Cheers

Also in New York is the Bangladeshi Cricket Association, which is listed by, but does not participate in, the USACA. The Bangladeshi Cricket Association is unique to US cricket, in two respects. Its membership is composed entirely of individual subscribers, unlike most USACA leagues -most of them happen to be Bangladeshi taxi-cab owners or drivers, and, as a group, seem to be rather well-heeled. It is also the only semi-professional league in the USA; it awards pay-for-play contracts to selected players, an offer which has been taken up by many top non-Bangladeshi cricketers in the New York region. Both its finances and its operations are a closely guarded secret, but its model for “mixed” cricket can be seen as a precursor to ProCricket’s strategy.

Old February 14, 2005, 08:49 AM
Test Cricketer

This report is flawed in a few ways.

Most of the players are not taxi drivers or owners. There are some as a lot of Bangladeshi males do drive taxis for a living but most of the players are students and old farts like us trying to relive our youth.

That pay-for-play thing only applies to certain players, as the article mentions. Each team has players who tend to be their officials as well as would be the case for any Sunday team. There are a few, like First class cricketers out of Bangladesh, Pakistan and the West Indies who are brought in as 'ringers'. They are the only players who are paid. Big name cricketers such as Akram, Bulbul and Nannu have graced the feilds with their prsence from time to time. A lot of the rest of the local players actually end up spending money from their own pockets to make the tournament happen, because they love the game.

Bangladesh Cricketr Assoc have done a good job so far by holding tournaments on a regular basis for almost 10 years now. Few dadicated souls and a couple of sponsors have been making things happen. But their failure lies in fact that they have not merged with or even participated in the mainstream US cricket (yes there is such a thing). They actually have a rule where teams can only include a certain number of players who are of non-Bangladesh origin. This is silly. Can't see any benifit from this attitude.

Its a lot of fun watching these games as there is almost a Mini Dhaka Stadium atmosphere when the weather is right, with all the witty remarks from both teams. The games are almost always very freindly yet competative. Young men, fresh from the plane from Bangladesh, college students dominate the feild. Their enthisiasm is infectious. Older men who've been in the US for a while relive their youth.

Now if the organizers do a better job in making this a family outing sort of thing this'll get a lot more support from the Bangladeshi community in New York.
Old February 14, 2005, 10:17 AM
Cricket Legend

nice post, couger - give us more updates on this league from time to time, who the teams are, any emerging stars, views from the gallery, etc!
Old February 14, 2005, 11:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

agreed with couger...most of the players are not taxi drivers but young college students like us.... last yr bangladesh league was won by a team named caviliers who are mainly formed by doctors and dentists....also former A team wicketkeeper atiar played for it... last yr only 7 team participated in this league...this yr we are expecting atleast 10 teams... you can find regular update of the league on any bangla newspaper... weekly kagoj sponsored the league last yr...
Old February 14, 2005, 11:58 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Courtney Walsh

I live in Virginia, but I was a part of Narayanganj Cricket Club (NCC) when it won the Bangladeshi Cricket Association (BCA) tournament in 1997-98 by beating Mohammadan Cricket Club in the final. I was the opening bowler of the team. We beat Abahoni, which comprised of Faruk and Jahangir Alam (both were that time BD national team player) in the semifinal. Mohammad also had two very good BD premier team players, can't remember their name. But I think after that season or one more season the league was banned for some on field fight or something. Noni bhai was the president of NCC.

Since when the league started again?
Old February 14, 2005, 12:42 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by rafiq
nice post, couger - give us more updates on this league from time to time, who the teams are, any emerging stars, views from the gallery, etc!
Thanks, will do once the tournament get underway in the summer.
Old February 15, 2005, 12:43 PM
Club Cricketer

Yes, nicely put cougar. I know this league pretty well and you've nailed it exactly right.
Old February 15, 2005, 12:54 PM
Cricket Legend

You guys are lucky to have many Bangladeshis living nearby to play cricket

Edited on, February 15, 2005, 5:54 PM GMT, by babubangla.
Old February 15, 2005, 01:25 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by babubangla
You guys are lucky to have many Bangladeshis living nearby to play cricket

Edited on, February 15, 2005, 5:54 PM GMT, by babubangla.
Hey Babubangla, you can actually start something in your area. I'm sure you'll find people from cricket playing nations. All you need to do in the beginning is make two teams(it can even be 9-a-side) and play matches against each other. Post the results here or send them to Begali newspapers in NY. You'll see in no time you'll get more attention. That is exactly how Bangladesh Cricket Association started in New York.

If you start we can help.
Old February 15, 2005, 01:39 PM
Cricket Legend

yes....cricket is played here too...but all dominated by indians and pakistanis. I was not talking about cricket itself....i was missing "deshi" cricket.
Old February 15, 2005, 01:54 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by babubangla
yes....cricket is played here too...but all dominated by indians and pakistanis. I was not talking about cricket itself....i was missing "deshi" cricket.
I see. Then you are welcome to visit NY in the summer and if you have the skills I'm sure some of the teams here will be interested in you. I know one plyers comes from Florida every weekend to play for a team and the team pays for his travels.
Old February 15, 2005, 08:50 PM
ODI Cricketer

There is also an amateur club in NYC called East Meadow Cricket Club. I am a part of that club, and we meet fairly regularly on Sundays and Saturdays during the summer at East Meadow in Central Park. Occasionally we play one-off matches with other cricket clubs within a 3-hr driving radius of NYC. So far (we've existed only 2 years), the club has been at stricly amateur level, and we havent participated in any tournaments.

The club consists mostly of south asians currently working in the finance industry. It was actually started by someone in finance (he happens to be my cousin), and he simply got all his friends to join.

If anyone wants to know more, you can email me at:

arham.choudhury :: gmail dot com
Old February 15, 2005, 08:57 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Piranha
There is also an amateur club in NYC called East Meadow Cricket Club. I am a part of that club, and we meet fairly regularly on Sundays and Saturdays during the summer at East Meadow in Central Park. Occasionally we play one-off matches with other cricket clubs within a 3-hr driving radius of NYC. So far (we've existed only 2 years), the club has been at stricly amateur level, and we havent participated in any tournaments.

The club consists mostly of south asians currently working in the finance industry. It was actually started by someone in finance (he happens to be my cousin), and he simply got all his friends to join.

If anyone wants to know more, you can email me at:

arham.choudhury :: gmail dot com
Do you also play in Eisenhower park? Can you give me some details of this club?
Old February 15, 2005, 09:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Quote:
Originally posted by offcutter
I know one plyers comes from Florida every weekend to play for a team and the team pays for his travels.
i think i know who u are talking abt...is his name shuvo?? he used to play for bksp before moving here......
Old February 16, 2005, 08:42 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by sadi
Quote:
Originally posted by offcutter
I know one plyers comes from Florida every weekend to play for a team and the team pays for his travels.
i think i know who u are talking abt...is his name shuvo?? he used to play for bksp before moving here......
I'm not sure of his name but Shuvo sounds right.