facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 11, 2007, 09:16 PM
Cricket Sage

Kayes scored 2 centuries... and fans opened one thread....

Alok scored one century... and fans opened one thread...

Gullu scored one century... no thread open yet?

Hmmm,,, looks like If any players are being discriminated, its the buira players like Gullu.

Old November 11, 2007, 09:30 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan

l,,,, if he fails to impress, then i will not feel guilty if kapali ends his international career. we must know for a fact whether he is a tushar, rokon type rubbish player before we throw him into that bin.
Hmmm... interesting logic here. Tushar played less games than Alok and you already tagged Tushar as an role model of Failure and refuse to use the same standard for Alok.

Tushar played 39 ODIs and Alok Played 55 ODI
Tusahr played 5 Tests and Alok played 17 Matches

I just wanted to point that out which I felt double standard (in my opinion)

As for me I still refuse to tag either of them as a role Model of Failure yet as they are young and they have time to fix their short coming in near future. However I also believe that before they come back to national team, they need to score more consistently in local league before I start rooting for their inclusion in the national team again.
Old November 11, 2007, 09:30 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Sohel bhai,

I am happy to respond to all points of concern with my post on this thread. Hopefully i will get the opportunity to speak with Miraz bhai as well and thereby produce some level of understanding between BC elites - which is fairly essential to a pleasing forum for all. it helps if we are all on the same page.

i did not mean to insult either you or Miraz bhai or call you guys out, but merely point out some of the elements of what could be a legitimate debate without descending into unnecessary unpleasantries which subsequently de-legitimize the debate.

there was a debate before between someone who i forgot and Rubu and/or Spitfire about alok (and/or Javed). it was just as heated and passionate, but remained relevant. i feel that the alok question should be discussed thoroughly because if it isn't than what is this forum for? this forum is not necessary to follow bangladesh cricket. it is simply an avenue where we can exchange our ideas with our fellow compatriots and fans.

Quote:
Dear Asad,

The word 'divinity' implies some sort of infallibility. In that sense, I've NEVER thought of or insinuated Alok Kapali to be ANYTHING of the sort. So, please don't make me out to be what I'm not ...
bad choice of words there on my part...at any rate i meant it non-literally. hopefully all invloved can have a good dialogue and come to an understanding at in the worst case, agree to disagree.

Quote:
So, I don't think your attempt at putting both groups on the same level, or at the opposite end of the Kapali Spectrum is correct from that particular standpoint.
they are not exactly the same in magnitude...but i won't be going into the calculations to find you which extreme is farther from center because its really useless...all we need is a qualitative judgement call saying they are on the opposite sides of the kapali spectrum. you and miraz bhai are on the opposite side of the spectrum and i consider myself to be one of the few moderates (the vast majority of BC are on the anti kapali end).

Quote:
Last but not least, I will re-post what I've written about Alok of late, and humbly request you to kindly point out just WHAT in those words you find so 'biased' to put me on the same level as someone who is anything but when it comes to this particular matter? …
absolutely nothing...except for those satirical scorecards where there are usually 9 or 10 aloks and kapalis in our lineup.

Quote:
Why? Because we desperately need batsmen who can rotate the strike with ease and once we find them in the NCL, and until the NCL prepares him adequately for the highest level which it currently does not, we should do our best to give him a chance to learn on the job because he has talent, technique, superior performances in domestic FC and List A cricket, and youth on his side. After all, what IS the alternative at this point? Expect the worst and pray that he fails simply because he rubs you the wrong way, while defending similar failure from others? Not a choice I can make as a submitter and a Bangladeshi with Tiger cricket in his heart so to speak.
these are exactly my thoughts also (read last para of my big post)...on this topic we see eye to eye. which is what makes me the moderate: i am not ready to sing alok's praises but he absolutely must be given a lengthy reign of chances in both Tests and ODIs because if we don't, we will do Bangladesh cricket a HUGE disservice, not to mention the injustice to Alok.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old November 11, 2007, 09:33 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Good response Asad. You make me proud of you again ...

May Allah continue to grace you with His blessings my brother.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old November 11, 2007, 09:35 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Mash & Sakib

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mat I NO Runs HS1 HS2 HS3 Ave 100 50 0

overall 55 52 3 964 89* 71 69 19.67 0 5 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Runs Pos Dismissal I R Match

2 4 caught 1 L 1st ODI v SL in SL 2002 at Colombo (SSC) [1857]
5 4 caught 1 L 2nd ODI v SL in SL 2002 at Colombo (SSC) [1858]
8 7 lbw 2 L 3rd ODI v SL in SL 2002 at Colombo (RPS) [1859]
45 7 bowled 1 L ICC CT 8 v Aus in SL 2002/03 at Colombo (SSC) [1881]
2 5 caught 2 L ICC CT 12 v NZ in SL 2002/03 at Colombo (SSC) [1885]
25 6 caught wk 2 L 1st ODI v SA in SA 2002/03 at Potchefstroom (d/n) [1890]
0 6 caught 1 L 2nd ODI v SA in SA 2002/03 at Benoni [1891]
20 6 lbw 1 L 3rd ODI v SA in SA 2002/03 at Kimberley (d/n) [1892]
20* 6 not out 2 N 1st ODI v WI in BD 2002/03 at Chittagong (MAA) [1904]
12 6 stumped 2 L 2nd ODI v WI in BD 2002/03 at Dhaka (d/n) [1909]
89* 6 not out 2 L 3rd ODI v WI in BD 2002/03 at Dhaka (d/n) [1910]
19 6 lbw 2 L World Cup 5 v Can in SA 2002/03 at Durban (d/n) [1946]
32 6 caught 1 L World Cup 10 v SL in SA 2002/03 at Pietermaritzburg [1950]
DNB - - 2 N World Cup 16 v WI in SA 2002/03 at Benoni [1956]
2 5 caught 1 L World Cup 22 v SA in SA 2002/03 at Bloemfontein [1961]
9 5 caught 1 L World Cup 29 v NZ in SA 2002/03 at Kimberley [1968]
18 5 caught wk 2 L World Cup 35 v Ken in SA 2002/03 at Johannesburg [1974]
5 4 caught 2 L TVS (BD) 1 v Ind in BD 2003 at Dhaka (d/n) [2001]
27 5 lbw 2 L TVS (BD) 3 v SA in BD 2003 at Dhaka (d/n) [2003]
9 5 caught 1 L TVS (BD) 4 v Ind in BD 2003 at Dhaka (d/n) [2004]
71 5 caught 2 L TVS (BD) 5 v SA in BD 2003 at Dhaka (d/n) [2005]
0 4 bowled 1 L 1st ODI v Aus in Aus 2003 at Cairns [2038]
34 7 caught 1 L 2nd ODI v Aus in Aus 2003 at Cairns [2039]
49 7 caught 2 L 3rd ODI v Aus in Aus 2003 at Darwin [2040]
26 5 lbw 2 L 1st ODI v Pak in Pak 2003 at Multan [2041]
37 5 caught 2 L 2nd ODI v Pak in Pak 2003 at Faisalabad [2042]
61 5 caught 2 L 3rd ODI v Pak in Pak 2003 at Lahore (d/n) [2043]
12 5 bowled 1 L 4th ODI v Pak in Pak 2003 at Rawalpindi (d/n) [2044]
69 4 bowled 2 L 5th ODI v Pak in Pak 2003 at Karachi (d/n) [2045]

Mr. Miraz, you gave us alok's last 10 matches performances from cricinfo statsguru and you also said that he never ever perform. this the stat of his 1st 29 matches. and look at his scores and consistency. he scored 708 runs in his 1st 29 ODIs with an average of 27.23 and guess that time in 2003, not even couple of player who has this much averages. am i making it clear bro? the time alok played with bangladesh team and the time tamim, ash and aftab playing, is lot more different than alok played with bangladesh team. now you tell me how come he didn't perform?he did perform in his 1st 30 matches i guess. later on he was bit out of touch. i can agree with that.

This is the link of statsguru. you can check if you like and everbody else is welcome to see those scoreboards where alok scored and what else others did.

bro seems like i am not giving the wrong information. it seems that you are misleading people with just his last 10 ODIs.
Old November 11, 2007, 09:36 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Hmmm... interesting logic here. Tushar played less games than Alok and you already tagged Tushar as an role model of Failure and refuse to use the same standard for Alok.

Tushar played 39 ODIs and Alok Played 55 ODI
Tusahr played 5 Tests and Alok played 17 Matches

I just wanted to point that out which I felt double standard (in my opinion)

As for me I still refuse to tag either of them as a role Model of Failure yet as they are young and they have time to fix their short coming in near future. However I also believe that before they come back to national team, they need to score more consistently in local league before I start rooting for their inclusion in the national team again.
maybe you are right. but the difference is that many ppl regard alok as a supreme talent but no one does for tushar. rokon was also a guy who supposedly had alok type talent. but he had an ODI SR in the 50s. some talent.

yes tushar has also been discriminated against both by fans and also by "merry go round" selection practices of the BCB. however, in those 44 int'ls he has played, tushar has yet to display one break out innings unlike ashraful and alok (and to lesser extents SN, aftab, and mushy rahim).

if tushar were truly on the same plane as alok, he would be as polarizing. since he isn't, we know he has no real fanbase and that means he probably doesn't deserve one. alok has a fanbase (just ask sohel and or beamer bhais). JO doesn't have one which means he is a tushar type player who just happens to be luckier than old TI.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old November 11, 2007, 09:38 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR

already post porefelchen...speed reading shikate hobe amake.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old November 11, 2007, 09:43 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
already post porefelchen...speed reading shikate hobe amake.
Blame it on college workload in Berkeley ...
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old November 11, 2007, 09:43 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR

i am proud of you as well...your support of kapali is second to none and what is best for BD cricket is if your wishes regarding alok come true.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old November 11, 2007, 09:47 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:

yes tushar has also been discriminated against both by fans and also by "merry go round" selection practices of the BCB. however, in those 44 int'ls he has played, tushar has yet to display one break out innings unlike ashraful and alok (and to lesser extents SN, aftab, and mushy rahim).
Another Interesting logic. You compared Tushar's breakout innings (if any) with Ash's & Alok's as if Alok and Ash belongs to same acategory. We know Ash's breakout innings so do we about Aftab's breakout innings. Can you please remind us about Alok's breakout innings and when was that? To me Alok and Ash doesn't belong to same category interims of breakout innings. And I am not sure when Alok has his last breakout innings (pardon my short memory).

Quote:
if tushar were truly on the same plane as alok, he would be as polarizing. since he isn't, we know he has no real fanbase and that means he probably doesn't deserve one. alok has a fanbase (just ask sohel and or beamer bhais). JO doesn't have one which means he is a tushar type player who just happens to be luckier than old TI.
Failed to understand what fan base has anything to do with a players' career in the national team. So looks like you are saying fan support in BC should be the deciding factor of who should be selected in the national team?

Last edited by Fazal; November 11, 2007 at 09:55 PM..
Old November 11, 2007, 09:52 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz

একেবারে বাধায়ে রাখার মত একটা পোষ্ট

Anyway little bro/sis, that's not the way we talk here at BanglaCricket.

Take Care and Enjoy your time.
hahahahaha..you are so so so spoiled man. try to get my point here. i didn't consider the post. i did consider the article from Star Weekend Magazine. dude, you are getting so much........
Old November 11, 2007, 09:54 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
maybe you are right. but the difference is that many ppl regard alok as a supreme talent but no one does for tushar. rokon was also a guy who supposedly had alok type talent. but he had an ODI SR in the 50s. some talent.

Spot on analysis.

To be fair, I did enjoy Golla's batting when he carried his bat on debut against Heath Streak's Zimbabwe way back when. He has managed to kill whatever high hopes I've had for him since then with a tragic inability to learn to rotate the strike, and poor footwork inside the crease among other MANY things.

I never liked Tushar and have always found him to be deeply flawed when it comes to reading the pitch and the line of a quickish delivery, and responding accordingly with proper footwork and technique. Playing with a straight bat is a rarity for Tushar as is minimizing the gap he tends to sport between bat and pad when playing a forward defensive. His head also seems improperly placed when it comes to playing anything fine, and the less said about his pitiful shot selction the better.

He has never been the class to warrant a 'following'. But to be fair to him, he HAS been toyed with unfairly by FaTa and company, and I'm glad that we've managed to leave those years of abritrary, jodi laigga jay type of harmful curiosities behind.

Last edited by Sohel; November 11, 2007 at 10:15 PM..
Old November 11, 2007, 09:56 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
So looks like you are saying fan support in BC should be the deciding factor of who should be selected in the national team?
so what are you saying bro? are you saying that watching the heters view, they should select player in national team?
Old November 11, 2007, 09:58 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megh
so what are you saying bro? are you saying that watching the heters view, they should select player in national team?
No they should not. Now Happy?
Old November 11, 2007, 10:00 PM
Test Cricketer

i don't understand that why this guy is being so much hated by few of us? and why are they not willing to agree that he did perform in few matches? what is the reason to hate him like this? none of us saying that he is a better player like Ash, Aftab. but you guys are like in a one way track, don't wanna accept that he played few good knocks. if you guys still don't wanna agree with that then see post #59 in this thread.
Old November 11, 2007, 10:02 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
No they should not. Now Happy?
bro, why are you being angry? i just said my opinion. take a chill pill bro. anywayz i just replied, didn't mean anything else.
Old November 11, 2007, 10:10 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megh
bro, why are you being angry? i just said my opinion. take a chill pill bro. anywayz i just replied, didn't mean anything else.
No bro/sis I am not angry. you sounds like angry. i also said my opinion. you may consider taking a chill pill first. anywayz i also just replied, didn't mean anything else.
Old November 11, 2007, 10:17 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Should AK be ahead of KM and JOB becomes automatic choice while SN and AA should be completely dropped - may be RS is the option for HB? My question is based on the theory that "Perform in NCL, get a cap for National Team" which should not be the only factor IMHO.
Old November 11, 2007, 10:23 PM
Club Cricketer

SORRRY DUDE, YOU SEEMS TO BE VERY PESSIMISTIC... I DON'T PERSONALLY LIKE DONALD TRUMP ( you know that nyc real estate giant) HE QUOTED SOMETHING VERY INTERESTING "NEVER GIVE UP YOUR HOPE" WELL LET JUST HOPE THAT HE COME BACK WITH HIS FULL TALENT, AND I PERSONALLY BELIEVE ALOK HAS LOTS TO OFFER, HE IS THE CLASSIC BATSMAN COMPARE TO MANY OF BANGLADESHI BATSMEN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonoy
players like alok and Tushar will always perform in the NCL track but I can gurantee this, ALOK WILL FAIL IN THE INTERNATIONAL ARENA! An average of 17.69 will never seem promising no matter how you look at it. I mean how the hell does a guy with exceptional talent and technique end up averaging 17.69?! In Fact, an average of 26.12 even in the NCL arena will never seem promising either! Lets face the fact, no matter how you look at it, Alok will never perform in an international arena no matter how much he improves in domestic league.
Old November 12, 2007, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Alok is a bit different from other players who score tons of runs in the NCL in that he is not only known to have performed in the international arena, but he is known to have absolutely annihilated bowling attacks and cause a fair amount of havoc with the ball as well. He is, in my books, very much in the run for a top XX or a top XV call, if not starting line up material for the following tour. I wouldn't put him in the same class as, say, Hannan, Rokon or even Tushar Imran, but neither would he come into my test XI ahead of the likes of Aftab, Shakib and Mushiq.
Old November 12, 2007, 01:29 AM
Test Cricketer

javed omar scored a century too. its just one century alok scored with barisal. does barisal team have any national team bowlers. NO. alok has done good to national team before but he is just not as good as he was.no one should hate him but i just dont think he is good enough to play in the national team at the moment.
Old November 12, 2007, 01:35 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

ore baapre ki hoitase ekhane....... alok tui ki korli eshob.. dili to shobar matha aawlaiya... beta arekta century kor.. naile khobor ache...koilam.. era tore charbo na...
Old November 12, 2007, 02:04 AM
Cricket Guru

WOAH! WHATS HAPPENING IN HERE?.......
Old November 12, 2007, 05:57 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

As my name is mentioned couple of times in this thread, I should clarify my position here.

I don't want to write about the rants posted by Sohel as he has mastered the art of launching personal attacks and I personally find them tasteless to say the least.

Now about Alok Kapali. He was one of the better prospects when he started his playing career and was definitely one of my favorites along with Rokon and Bashar (from that team). I am leaving out Ashraful here as he is in a different league. Alok was branded as Mr. Dependable in his early career but his slide started in 2003 in the series against West Indies (he produced a masterful innings in the same series).

While Rokon spoiled himself due to affairs off the pitch and Bashar maintained his run scoring spree, Alok started to fade completely, he was completely looking out of touch at International level (in 2004-05). Everyone believed that Alok is a rare stylish batsman and persisted with him for 30+ innings despite his continuous failures. But Alok completely failed to repay the faith and his lacklustre display continued. Those who followed Bangladesh cricket during that time can easily remember those failures of Alok. In fact he should have been dropped much earlier before the permanent damage in his mindset is done. In that case he could have regrouped from domestic level and returned to the international arena as a better player.

Anyway, that hasn't happened and Alok was re-called couple of times with the belief that one day he will come good. Alok failed repeatedly and was never able to show glimpses of his initial touch. It's clear that he can no longer cope with the pressure of international cricket.

I have followed Alok closely like every other player of the national team, and that's why I am not willing to see the repeated futile cycles of Alok Kapali. No single player in Bangladesh history was given as much opportunities as Alok received in his 5 year career despite continuous failures. 55 ODIs and 20 Tests would have turned Tushar. Ehsnaul, late Rana or Hannan into genuine match winners. This should come to an end.

I have nothing personal against any national players, I just want to see deserving players are picked and are playing for the country.

Last edited by Miraz; November 12, 2007 at 06:07 AM..
Old November 12, 2007, 06:06 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
I don't want to write about the rants posted by Sohel as he has mastered the art of launching personal attacks and I personally find them tasteless to say the least.

Last edited by Sohel; November 13, 2007 at 06:05 AM..