facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 10, 2006, 10:34 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza
Question Should we enforce Follow On?

Say, we bundle them out before they can get those runs to avoid follow on. Should we enforce it or not?

My idea is NO. For two reasons, both from a defensive point of view.

1. We do not wanna bat on that pitch on fourth innings. Instead, let Enam and Rafique have some fun there.

2. We do not wanna hurt the ego of aussies, as that might trigger a bounce back.

Here is my plan, get the wickets as quickly as possible, best below 200. For this Bashar need to set up a realy attacking fielding. if they scores a few fours, let them have it. But get them out below 200.

Then, we need to bat for at least 'til lunch of 4th day. I'm guessing that would be batting 3 sessions. Should not be too hard. Just no rush shots, and taking time. If we do not loose wicket, we can make it like a one day slog over at the end to get some extra runs. 200+ would be ideal. Then (please God let it be like this) we will have 5 sessions to get the other 10 wickets. should be doable on a broken pitch and Rafique-Enam form.

Let it Be. Let it Be.

Old April 10, 2006, 10:37 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: আশরাফুল

Should we enforce Follow On?

A big no. I would prefer Australia 228 all out.
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

wow... looks a lot different now... I kinda liked the old one though...

Anyways, I would enforce the followon... there is no point being defensice... we came this far being aggresive and we should remain to be so... its gonna be such a shame for aussies if they have to follow on... and I can't wait to see that happening... even if they score 350-400 in the second innings which is not gonna be easy, we will have a good chance of winning this game... go Bangladesh... I am so proud of them...
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

No we shouldn't. Tire the Aussie out and take time score moderately (rr around 3) and get around 300+ in 3-4 sessions.

Then declare or get allout. Try for aussie kill in around 5 sessions
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old April 10, 2006, 10:43 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

My answer is a no, but not because it will hurt the Aus ego. It would be great to hurt them and see how they react. They haven't been in such a situation for ages.

Anyway, the simple reason is that being on the field for two consecutive innings may be detrimental when we bat. Also take into account the turn that enamul got today. I'm sure enamul is drooling at the prospect of bowling on the last day pitch.
Old April 10, 2006, 10:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

well the answer is no ... as i said in sm other post of mine .... we dont want to bat last on this pitch ... nd we wud be better served if we can perform in the second innings and set the aussies a total beyond 300 minimum.....then our spinners can make a match of it ... if we get a lead of over 400 nd the aussies hv a day nd half to bat max then we cannot lose this match ....
Old April 10, 2006, 10:51 AM
Cricket Legend

I don't think we should put too much importance to ego thing. Key factors here, as mentioned above, are to keep the bowlers fresh and avoid batting on the fourth innings. By enforcing follow on, we will give advantages away to Australia.
Old April 10, 2006, 10:53 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

No. We should give our bowlers rest and it's not a good idea to face McGill and Warne in the 4th innings.
Old April 10, 2006, 10:57 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Definitly not, if we have 200+ lead and score 225-250 in the second innings, we are set, only 2-3 times in history, a team chased 400+ to win...
Old April 10, 2006, 11:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

If there is a chance, I would go for enforcing the follow-on. The reasons behind this are:

1. Follow-on means taking the remaining 4 wickets quickly. I assume that because Gilchrist will not slow down his pace of scoring. In that case, our bowlers will not be that tired.

2. Following on means a lot of mental pressure. Aussies are the boss of it; but in recent years, they did not have much experience of following on. And of course, they crumble under immense pressure as we have seen in the Ashes.

3. It is more important because it will give more confidence to our side.

4. And may be, we are going to win the test by an innings

5. To be more realistic, I still think that the chance of AUssies winning this match is 60-40. So, I would like to go for a longer time and following on will make the match longer. If it gets short after their following on, that most likely means the failure of the Aussies and we are going to win.
Old April 10, 2006, 11:03 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

No for same the reasons Rubu mentioned.

Tommorrow I'd like to see BD take a 200 runs lead andadd another 200-250.. considering it's only been 2 days in the match it'd be wise if we can play out whole day.. We'll probably see a collapse in our batting (as usual), so it's very important that our batsmen take it easy, not play unnecessary shots.. IF we can survive the day we should lead by 400-450 runs (c'mon it's not impossible).. By day 4 the pitch will be heavily deteriorated. If we can get an early breakthrough and put Aussies into defensive mode they'll fall into our trap.. the wicket will be very slow, turning and our tigers will go for the kill!

InshaAllah.
Old April 10, 2006, 11:24 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

We should not enforce the follow on. No atter what is the score for aussies, we should score 230-250 odd runs in the second innings and throw the challenge to aussies to win the atch chasing 400-450 runs.

In such a wicket against our spinners u know then what will be the result
Old April 10, 2006, 11:29 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell

I too think Bd should not force follow on. I mean Mcgill has already exploited the bd batsmen albeit mainly because of their mistakses but to play Mcgill on a 4th or 5th day would a tough task especially since our batsman are not real good players of the spin bowling anyways. To me australians play aggressively by nature and they are not accustomed to SAVING matches rather they play to win. I would like to see Ponting and Hussey and Clark gut it out on the fourth Inning and see how they handle the situation. As far as victory goes... well I am hoping for the best. Win or tie I am happy that we are showing the world that we belong!
Old April 10, 2006, 02:16 PM
Cricket Guru

I had to comment i know you guys won't like it. This is only the SECOND day of the test. THREE Days left and anything can happen. BD deserves
what they did so far, but aussies are so professional they can turn around the game any time they want. And Gilly he is there, and they will be so furious next innings that they will eat us alive.
Old April 10, 2006, 02:23 PM
Street Cricketer

irrespective of the fact that bd enforces/does not enforce the follow on, it has been an amazing acheievement by bangladesh against australia that v r cing this type of a thread
Old April 10, 2006, 02:23 PM
Street Cricketer

NO......I support those who mentioned about setting up a target for Aussies of 400+ and see how they dance......
Old April 10, 2006, 02:24 PM
ODI Cricketer

Definitely make them follow on. Even if it is just for the record. In any case, unlike most people, I dont think this pitch will turn as much in the 4th/5th day. It is simply going to be a flat batting track.

Even if I am wrong, we all know that Aussies have the capacity to win against Bangladesh from almost any position. So by making them follow on, we at least have the record of making Aussies follow on and probably ZIP the lips of those Big-Mouths down-under forever !!
Old April 10, 2006, 02:24 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Lara & Ashraful

There is no doubt AUS will fight back hard. Ball is in BD court. Bd has to come killer instinct, no let up. Hopefully BD players are not tired already. May Allah help them, ameen.
Old April 10, 2006, 02:29 PM
First Class Cricketer

YES. let them follow on, let them bat, get all out under 200 and win by innings. play like tiger, act like champion.
Old April 10, 2006, 02:33 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Even if the situation presents itself, we should not enforce the follow on as many posters have alreday said. It will be hellish batting last on this pitch. Australia made the huge mistake by picking five bastmen arrogantly and they are paying the price right now. We must take care of Gilchirst. He has snatched many matches away in simmilar situations against other teams. As long as he is there we shouldn't even think about talks about follow-on. I have great feeling about this match.
Old April 10, 2006, 02:35 PM
Street Cricketer

i would say that bangladesh should make australia follow on. this gives bangladesh a chance to pull off an innings win.

imagine - BANGLADESH BEATING AUSTRALIA BY AN INNINGS

who would have even thought that in his craziest dreams just 2 day ago.
Old April 10, 2006, 02:38 PM
Cricket Legend

I don't think it will come down to this. If Gilly clicks, they should have no trouble avoiding the follow on. But in the event they don't, I too think that we sould give our bowlers some rest and take the bat. Batting on this turning and low pitch will be very hard in 4th Inn. and a total of ~450 should be defendable.
Old April 10, 2006, 02:42 PM
Cricket Legend

No way. Forcing follow on would be the most stupid idea for us. Just for pride or insulting aus, we can't go for asking them to bat again. We must have to remember our 2nd innings performance. I would say, scoring 150 run in 4th innings would be difficult for BD. Remember it's not a ODI adn we are talking about a pitch of 4/5 days old. Also as pointed by many other, we can not take the risk of injuring our bowlers. So, a big NO to enforce aus follow on.

But firstly, let's see if we can restrict them below 228.
Old April 10, 2006, 03:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Guys, remember, all those top order Aussies, who got out cheaply in the first innings, are itching to face our bowlers again. The best strategy for BD at this point is to tire them off, take the fight out of them, before they get the chance.

Learn from the champs, given the chance, Australia, even in their home condition, don't ask their opponents to follow on.

Last edited by TheWatcher; April 10, 2006 at 03:32 PM..
Old April 10, 2006, 03:27 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Lara & Ashraful

It will be a mistake to enforce follow on. AUS will make most out of whatever left in that pitch. Even minimum target on the fifth day will be very hard to get.

I want to remind you match between India vs. Steve Waugh & Co. and India vs. Ricky Ponting & Co. They were in similar sitaution where later did not enforce follow on and AUS won the match in Calcutta. In a spin friendly pitch, playing last is suicidal.

Hope captain and coach pay attention to it. May Allah grant them victory, ameen.