facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old September 23, 2012, 02:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.
Default A possibly innocent man's life ends in the cells of Guantanamo

A man who spent the last eleven years confined in Guantanamo Bay - severely tortured, beaten - without EVER being charged with a crime or implicated with any involvement, has died in his cell.

What a tragedy. Gitmo is an affront to humanity - and should be shut down.

Old September 23, 2012, 03:29 PM
Cricket Sage

Wikileaks leaked his classified assessment file, which showed he was recommended for release in 2006 and 2008. Here is the link to his file if anyone wants to read it. (http://www.wikileaks.org/gitmo/pdf/y...m-000156dp.pdf)
Old September 23, 2012, 04:11 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Pathetic...this is worth raging over...this is worthy of angry protests and unbridled emotion.

Not sure why but this really pisses me off...I get the same with every successful case by the Innocence Project.

Old September 23, 2012, 04:39 PM
Cricket Sage

I was looking through the classified files wikileaks leaked about Guantanamo Prisoners. I came across 1 Bangladeshi Prisoner's file. I hadn't heard before that Gitmo had a Bangladeshi Prisoner. His name is Mubarak Hussain Bin Abul Hashem. Here is the link to his file (http://wikileaks.org/gitmo/pdf/bg/us9bg-000151dp.pdf)

Quote:
He claims that his parents requested that he retum to Bangladesh and "receive their advice," probably to stay there and get a real job that would allow him the funds to live. Prior to leaving Pakistan, he quit his job at the mosque. He was going to travel to Afghanistan to visit a friend from Fiq-Ul-Islami school who had invited him to Afghanistan to see the shrines of Mohammed's friends in Mazar-e-Sharif. He borrowed the funds from three classmates/friends and in November 200I,Ieft for Afghanistan. (Analyst note: His parents probably contacted him and encouraged detainee to jihad in Afghanistan. This is quite probable since his father has been an Imam in Bangladesh for years and conducting jihad in perceived defense of Islam is mandatory
I was speechless after reading the Analyst's note. So this is how they determined he was linked to 'Jihadist'. By assuming things? His parents probably contacted him? This is quite probable? Are you freaking kidding me, they went by probable and probably?
Old September 23, 2012, 06:03 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajfar

I was speechless after reading the Analyst's note. So this is how they determined he was linked to 'Jihadist'. By assuming things? His parents probably contacted him? This is quite probable? Are you freaking kidding me, they went by probable and probably?
I'm not sure why people are so surprised. This stuff is not civilian law enforecement its martial stuff which does not observe due process. I'm not sure if thats just an American thing or if all countries do that, but this is what happens in the "guilty until proven innocent " world. Thats why there was a lot of hooplah a few years back whether to try people in civilian courts or in military tribunals, when its far easier to convict in the latter.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old September 23, 2012, 06:48 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

There are so many victims of this nature. Bangladeshis may be less so they remain silent, there are thousands of Pakistanis and Afghans who are in GTMO or Baghram or Abugerib or have died and they are still in the missing list of their police.

You can't even imagine how their near and dear one's feel about them who caused it. Thats the reason, people don't like to be lectured. Now what do they do?? Ya they must not protest violently... They should very gently ask, sir why you killed him?? And wait for an answer in a civilized way. Never be violent...aggressors lecture the victims, hey don't be aggressive in your protest. Why doesn't Muslims respect human rights? ..etc..Unfortunately some so called muslims do the same .... That's why the victims families resort to violence, because they have no other option to justice... Not that violence will even bring real justice... But they at least feel satisfied that they have tried to do something against the killers of their near and dear one's. These are not the only injustice people face, those drone attacks killed hundreds of thousands civilians, forget about the Israeli attacks and US backed Corrupt dictators of Middle East and North African...

Sorry for bringing this topic in here, but yes it's closely linked. Why don't we come up with a suggestion, how these families should fight for their rights in a more effective way?? Surely their could be ways better than the outrage and violence... Which can bring better result anytime soon, do we have answer for them?? If not, we even don't deserve to criticize them for their outrage...if they get a better way, I'm sure they would love to go by that route.
Old September 23, 2012, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Gitmo is a huge blight for the US and one major failure of the Obama's promise.
Old September 23, 2012, 11:45 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Ilaihi Rajiun.
May Allah accept all the suffering and the terrible hardship of this poor man and reward him with the highest place in Jannat.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old September 24, 2012, 12:17 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajfar
I was looking through the classified files wikileaks leaked about Guantanamo Prisoners. I came across 1 Bangladeshi Prisoner's file. I hadn't heard before that Gitmo had a Bangladeshi Prisoner. His name is Mubarak Hussain Bin Abul Hashem. Here is the link to his file (http://wikileaks.org/gitmo/pdf/bg/us9bg-000151dp.pdf)

Good find Ajfar bhai. Habeas Corpus went out the window with regards to Guantanamo years ago. What's also shocking is this: "Detainee's file does not indicate why he was sent to JTF GTMO." What?!? And I can't imagine how he was treated between the time he was picked up while praying at a mosque in Peshawar in December 2001 to being sent to GITMO on 17 January 2012.
Old September 24, 2012, 12:31 AM
Cricket Legend

May Allah give him peace in the afterlife.

There are someprisoners there caught and handed over by Pakistan while others did the ultimate crime of being in Afghanistan.
Old September 24, 2012, 12:59 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

That wikileaks document says he admitted to being a member of AQ...I get that if I was being beaten or water-boarded I'd probably admit to being Charles Manson, but while they recommend release, he isn't actually deemed innocent.

This case of mistaken identity seems to be contradictory.

Quote:
Detainee claimed he was involved in a motor vehicle accident that resulted in severe head trauma when he was a teenager. Detainee stayed in the hospital in Sanaa, YM, for one month and then traveled to the Islamic Hospital in Amman, Jordan,with a medical worker named Hassan Hadi. While in the Islamic hospital in Jordan, detainee underwent further treatment for an unidentified length of time before returning to Yemen. Detainee claimed he required further medical attention in Jordan, but was unable to afford the trip or the procedure.

In 2000, detainee went to a local relief agency seeking financial assistance for his medical problems. Detainee met an individual named Ibrahim Aliwee who offered to help assist him financially. In early 2001, Ibrahim’s assistant, Muhammad Said Abdullah, gave detainee $200 US, 2000 rupees, a plane ticket, written instructions and a point of contact in Pakistan (PK) and Afghanistan. Detainee claimed he already possessed a passport which he acquired upon his return from medical treatment in Jordan. Detainee flew from Sanaa to Karachi, PK, where he followed the directions he was given and proceeded to a hotel and stayed for two days. Detainee took a bus to Quetta, PK, rented a taxi and continued to Kandahar, AF. In Kandahar, detainee proceeded to a mosque in the central bazaar to find Ibrahim, with whom detainee stayed for
three days.

Detainee is deceptive and often uncooperative.

During a debriefing by Yemeni officials, detainee admitted using his associates name when first captured but denied traveling to any country other than Afghanistan – although he has claimed travel to Jordan.
While detainee’s timeline of travel from Yemen to Afghanistan is consistent and credible; detainee’s timeline after his arrival in Afghanistan is not. When first interviewed after being transferred to US custody; detainee admitted going to Afghanistan for jihad, receiving weapons training from the Taliban, and being on the front lines north of Kabul. Later, detainee’s story changed to traveling to Afghanistan for the purpose of rebuilding an Islamic center or to receive medical treatment.

Detainee’s claimed travel for treatment is assessed to be false.

Detainee admits he surrendered his passport, but claimed it was related to seeking medical assistance. When visually inspected by an interviewer for scars related to detainee’s claimed injury and surgery on his head, no evidence of scars or defects were found.
This unfortunately doesn't sound credible to me. Coming from Jordan to Quetta of all places for medical care, just doesn't add up. That doesn't mean he didn't deserve a trial and justice, but the Al Jazeera article has a very real slant to it.