facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 20, 2011, 05:41 PM
First Class Cricketer

Default My personal review about Bangladesh team and its players in world cup 2011

Bangladesh, one of the co-hosts of world cup 2011 failed to qualify for the quarter final, after getting thrashed by the powerhouse South Africa. It was a disappointing end to the Bangladeshi campaign after they put up a spirited performance against England.

Now let's look at the team performance of the team as well as individual performance of every player in this world cup:

Team performance:

Bangladesh have played 6 games, won 3 and lost 3. West Indies had similar records yet they made it to the quarter final. With 3 victories, Bangladesh also could have been in the quarter final but that did not happen. So what went wrong?

They lost the 3 games in humiliating manners, that was what went wrong. Had they lost those 3 games with more dignity, they could have edged out West Indies in net run rate. In the end, West Indies and Bangladesh had equal points but West Indies qualified because of the more superior net run rate.

Bangladesh's bowling was outstanding I feel, because of bowling strength they managed to win those 3 games. I have to say batting wise they did very poor, barring the first game against India. Fielding was average, there were fumbles and missed run out opportunities and also some brilliant catches.

Individual Performances:

Tamim Iqbal (my rating: 5/10): He had a very disappointing tournament, considering he is one of the best batsmen for the last 4 years. He scored a fifty in the opening game against India, but he was clearly struggling to score runs. It was not a fluent innings. If you take away that innings, you can see he had a very quiet tournament.

Imrul Kayes (my rating: 8/10): Contrary to his opening partner, Imrul Kayes was clearly the best batsman of Bangladesh in this world cup. He had 2 fifties, both of those fifties resulted in Bangladeshi victories. He was also decent in the first 2 games, where openers put up partnerships of at least 50 runs.

Junaid Siddique (my rating: 3/10)
: I think he was very disappointing, he did not play his role in an efficient manner. He did not get any fifty which was horrible, considering he comes to bat at one down position.

Raqibul Hasan (my rating: 4/10)
: Although replaced by Shahriar Nafees in the last 2 games, he played most of the games in this world cup. Out of all those games he did fine against Ireland. Without his innings, Bangladesh might not have posted enough runs on the board and could have lost against Ireland. He was okay, but was nothing special.

Shahriar Nafees (my rating: 4/10): He played 2 games, was not exceptional at any of them. In one game he scored 37 runs while playing 60 balls, in other game he scored under 10. He needed to contribute more against South Africa, as a #4 batsman.

Mushfiqur Rahim (my rating: 4/10): He was a big let down with the bat, but was decent with the keeping gloves. He deserves a low rating because his batting was simply atrocious. I think he deserves to be dropped from the ODI squad for a while.

Shakib Al Hasan (my rating: 6/10): Shakib did not do very good with the bat, but took wickets with the ball. As the number one all rounder in ODI ratings, I think he was a bit under par.

Naeem Islam (my rating: 5/10)
: I think he did an excellent job with ball, but was equally horrible with the bat. His bowling was really effective in this world cup, he dried up runs and also took wickets. His batting needs more improvement though, considering he has a reputation of a good hitter.

Mahmudullah (my rating: 4/10): He was good with the bat against England and also good with ball against South Africa, but if you remove those two achievements he had a below par tournament. He was very ordinary at times, I feel.

Suhrawadi Shuvo (my rating: 5/10): He played only 1 game, however he did a decent job in that one game he played. He also played as a substitute fielder in certain games, where he made his presences felt.

Abdur Razzak (my rating: 7/10): He was clearly the best spinner for me in this world cup. He was among the wicket takers and he took wickets when it was needed. I think he did enough with the ball, although could have been a bit better as a tail ender batsman.

Shafiul Islam (my rating: 6/10): He was simply way too expensive in most of the games. He did good against minnows (Ireland and Netherlands) and England, but other than that he was horrible. He took a lot of wickets which was good, however he should try to leak less runs.

Rubel Hossain (my rating: 7/10): I think Rubel could have achieved more than what he achieved in this world cup. To me, he bowled way better than Shafiul but got less wickets. I think his performance was decent with the ball, considering he is a Bangladeshi pacer.

Mohammed Ashraful (my rating: 2/10): He was good with the ball against Ireland, but he was selected as a batsman in the team in which he failed miserably. He was one of the most horrible batsmen of Bangladesh, without a question.

Nazmul Hossain (my rating: N/A)
: He did not play.

Last edited by wasi90lkv1; March 20, 2011 at 08:47 PM..