facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 7, 2005, 07:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!
Default Whatmore interested in India job

Bangladesh boss Dav Whatmore has told BBC Sport he is interested in taking over as India coach from John Wright.

Australians Whatmore, Greg Chappell and Tom Moody are reportedly in the running to replace Wright, who is set to quit after the one-dayers against Pakistan.

Worcestershire boss Moody refused to be drawn on the issue but Whatmore said: "They'd better make up their minds soon - my contract expires on 30 April.

"I'm a professional - of course I'd be interested in talking to the Indians."

Former Australia captain Chappell was shortlisted for the India job before Wright was appointed in 2000 - and he has the backing of captain Sourav Ganguly.

Moody said earlier this year that he would like to be considered for the England coaching position after Duncan Fletcher leaves.

Whatmore, who coached Sri Lanka to World Cup glory in 1996, was handed the Bangladesh job two years ago and oversaw their first ever Test win over Zimbabwe in January.

The former Test batsman revealed that talks over a new Bangladesh contract are at an advanced stage.

But he says he is not sure if he will sign the deal and admitted the challenge of coaching India "would excite me, absolutely".

"The BCB and I are in constant touch, we're not far away over a two-year contract but I don't know if I'll sign. I'll have to wait and see," he added.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has apparently ruled out the prospect of an Indian coach taking over from Wright.

It has been impressed with the progress made under the former New Zealand skipper since he became the country's first foreign coach.

Wright guided the team to the final of the 2003 World Cup and their first overseas Test series win in 11 years in Pakistan last year.

Indeed, the BCCI was hoping he would stay on until the 2007 World Cup in the Caribbean, but Wright wants to return home for family reasons.

Source: BBC

Edited on, April 7, 2005, 12:59 PM GMT, by sports_fan_bd.

Edited on, April 7, 2005, 2:46 PM GMT, by sports_fan_bd.