facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 11, 2008, 04:31 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh
Default Usman Khawaja - Breaking new grounds in Australian Cricket

CRICKET is a game of records and firsts. Now, little more than a month after the furious row about race and sportsmanship exploded at the Sydney Test match, one young cricketer is ready to step up from the grade ranks and step out on to the SCG.

In doing so, Usman Khawaja's primary focus will be on a solid start to his first-class career. But, coming so close after the Sydney Test exposed the wide gulf between Australia and the subcontinent, Khawaja, 21, will be flying the flag for a new generation of Australian cricketers.

A handful of Australian first-class players have traced their origins to the subcontinent. Khawaja, born in Islamabad, Pakistan, arrived in Australia aged four and is believed to be the first Australian Muslim to play interstate cricket. "[The first] local player, maybe. I think it is," Khawaja said. "I'm just too stoked to be in the team to even worry about it. I'm too happy." Last year, Khawaja was captaining the Pakistan side in Sydney's annual Cricket Masala competition, a celebration of the many cultures which play the game. On Friday, he'll be opening the batting in the top-of-the-table clash with Victoria to decide whether NSW will host the Pura Cup final.

Meanwhile, he completed a bachelor of aviation at the University of NSW, allowing him to find work as a commercial pilot.

But instead of flying, Khawaja, only a month after finishing the course, has grounded himself. "I'm a fully qualified pilot now but I'm taking time off - indefinitely," he said, having put sport on the backburner for the time it's taken to earn his degree.

"Finally, cricket is No.1. I've been waiting for quite a while to just play cricket, to concentrate on it. It's pretty much perfect timing. I've got nothing else on my mind."
Not that his studies have been a complete distraction. Australian under-19s coach Brian McFadyen has had his eye on Khawaja for some years. "He impressed us with his ability to play off both the front and back feet," McFadyen said. "He won cricketer of the championship at the Australian under-19s in Perth and he was very impressive on the world stage."

In Sydney grade cricket this summer, Khawaja tops the batting figures, garnering 907 runs at 60.47, and he has been invited to the AIS Cricket Centre of Excellence this winter.

Cricket historian Kersi Meher-Homji believes Khawaja is the first local Muslim to play at this level. Mark Lavender, a West Australian batsman of the 1990s, was born in Chennai, India, while Dav Whatmore, born in Sri Lanka, played seven Tests for Australia. "But I think this is a big breakthrough," Meher-Homji said.

Read more:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/a...e#contentSwap1

Old February 11, 2008, 05:35 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Oh great, just what we need. Australia getting even more powerful with the subcontinent talents. That adds another 20 year of dominance. Sigh
Old February 11, 2008, 10:28 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

The question is does AUS need it, we see it a lot in Africa and West Indies. Although those players are mostly of ethnic descent. England and New Zealand been trying them a lot who are actually first generation cricketers. Now AUS enters the parade. Leaving sub continent to make room for Caucasian lineage.
Old February 12, 2008, 02:04 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Saeed Anwar
Default first Muslim to play first-class cricket in Australia

It is interesting read from DS. I am little surprised that it took so long for a Muslim player to able to play first-class cricket in Australia when so many are playing in England. It could be for high degree of racism and discrimination towards immigrants in Australia. Congratulations to Usman Khawaja!

http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=23174
Quote:
A Pakistan-born player is in line to become the first Muslim to play first-class cricket in Australia when he plays for New South Wales in their top-of-the-table match with Victoria here on Friday.

Usman Khawaja, the 21-year-old son of Pakistani immigrants, has been named for the first time in a sport traditionally dominated here by Anglo-Saxons.

"There are a lot of guys out there and a lot of young cricketers and a lot of subcontinental people in Australia too now," Khawaja said Tuesday.

"So I expect over time there to be a lot more multicultural teams."

His selection comes a month after a furious row about race and sportsmanship exploded during the Sydney Test between Australia and India.

India's Harbhajan Singh was suspended after allegedly calling Australian all-rounder Andrew Symonds a monkey. The International Cricket Council's appeals commissioner John Hansen later overturned the suspension, citing a lack of evidence.

But Khawaja, who came to Australia when he was four, said he had not encountered any problems on the field because of his background.

"I have never come across anything that could be classified as racial vilification, so it is pretty good I think, and I have played club cricket for over seven years now full time and no problems," he said.

In Sydney club cricket this season, Khawaja tops the batting figures, with 907 runs at 60.47. He has been invited to the Australian Sports Institute's Cricket Centre of Excellence.

Last edited by AsifTheManRahman; February 12, 2008 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: Merger -mod.misc
Old February 12, 2008, 02:56 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

we already have a thread on this.
please do a search before posting...

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=25470
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old February 12, 2008, 03:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Another Pakistani...can't find a single Bangladeshi First class Cricket player
Old February 13, 2008, 01:07 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

i read a report on PROTHOM ALO today

very interesting if USMAN KHAJA/KHWAJA becomes the firdt muslin to play for aussies
Old February 16, 2008, 07:21 AM
Street Cricketer

lets be honest, he is the first muslim player to ever be good enough to play fc cricket in aus. its not a matter of discrimination or anything, because no one else has even gotten close
Old February 16, 2008, 01:30 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman111
lets be honest, he is the first muslim player to ever be good enough to play fc cricket in aus. its not a matter of discrimination or anything, because no one else has even gotten close
How can this be a discrimination? Whats your point?
Old February 16, 2008, 05:18 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sam Curran

Quote:
I am little surprised that it took so long for a Muslim player to able to play first-class cricket in Australia when so many are playing in England. It could be for high degree of racism and discrimination towards immigrants in Australia.
There are 18 FC teams in England & Wales. 198 places. 6 FC teams in Australia, 66 places, so much more difficult to break through.

Quote:
Another Pakistani...can't find a single Bangladeshi First class Cricket player
Do you mean of Bangladeshi descent?
Old February 17, 2008, 12:25 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Napoleon Einstein

He was run out for 85 off 173 balls, good debut i must say
Old February 17, 2008, 05:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
How can this be a discrimination? Whats your point?
His point was in response to the notion that Dawah raised.

I see a lot of Indians and Pakistanis playing grade cricket here in Brisbane. It was just a matter of time really. Amazing that a person of Chinese descent (Richard Chee Quee) played first class cricket in Australia before a muslim did.
Old February 17, 2008, 05:45 AM
Test Cricketer

I cant see a reason to view this case separately as a Muslim's case. Discrimination existed more on a racial basis and less on religion basis. South Asians have faced discrimination but its getting better with time.
Old February 17, 2008, 11:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

I don't think we are. It's just that you guys are quick to label Australians as racist and can't play the subcontinental discrimination card because he's not the first.
Old February 18, 2008, 01:58 AM
Street Cricketer

The Aussie system is very straight forward and pretty much black and white. If you score runs or take wickets, you're in - no hidden agendas on anyones part.

this bloke clearly scored runs and got into the side. it wouldnt have mattered if he was black, white, pink, purple or whatever.

this is definitely one of the reasons that Australia is the best in the world
Old February 18, 2008, 03:29 AM
Cricket Sage

IMHO no system is above the influence of shear bureaucracy and petty politics. AUS is not going to make room for someone who will not agree to the SPIRIT they as a team like to believe in while playing the Gentleman's game for example.
Old February 18, 2008, 05:40 AM
Street Cricketer

well at least at the lower levels, ie grade/state level

but yes you are right at national level, there could be a few issues (eg. go back and have a look at the circumstances of Hodge being dropped from the test team for Ponting's mate Martyn)

but as if they care, they win everything they play anyway