facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 8, 2004, 06:00 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza
Default Target: Asia Cup

Last time when I put together some target for the West Indies tour, it was beyond my imagination that it would go so far. Not only a moderator generously turned it into an article, it made its way toward few other cricketing thread as well. Well, that was a big inspiration for me, and was the motivation to set some target for the upcoming Asia Cup as well.

Asia Cup is a prestigious tournament to ensure the dominance of a team in a region where cricket is the most popular game. Not only that, with all those sinister of n-tier cricketing thoughts in market, we have a duty to prove ourselves in front of the eyes of some pioneer of this idea. With this ultimate goal for the tournament in mind, we need to look for the means that would take us there. There are my few pennies.

Beat Hong Kong: At the very first game, we need to achieve our first target. We need to beat Hong Kong, and beat them up real good. We need to remember Canada, and has to make sure we do not take any whimsical step that would jeopardize this win. If we do not award them a win, they can not snatch a victory against us. We need to make sure this does not happen.

Opening Pair: There is one thing certain about opening in this tournament. We will see Ashraful with the bat at the very beginning. Ashraful, as we all know, is the best for ODI opening in theory, and the worst so far in practice. He has all the materials needed to be an opener, but never could use it. This is a big challenge for him. His personal target should be to make sure he does not loose his new found confidence. He has just proven himself to be a useful middle order. One might argue that this shifting would shatter his confidence. It is time for him to prove that wrong. His partner, regardless of whether it is Rana or Javed, has their own strengths and flaws. But there is not much to talk about since we already know that they will neither do too astonishing nor too dismal. To win ODI matches, we need to learn how to use the first 15 overs, and only Ashraful can do that.

As Many Win As possible : In this tournament, we will meet three test playing nations in four occasions, facing Pakistan twice. This is our best opportunity to prove that there was neither accident nor fixing in World Cup 1999. Yeah, I am talking about beating Pakistan once again. This team is in greatest disarray and this has opened a door of possibility for us. Sri Lanka and India are much stronger opponents, but beatable, nevertheless. Is this really true that we can beat India, Pakistan or Sri Lanka? I don’t know, and I don’t care. It is time for us to believe that we can. We need to play with the target to beat the opponent and go all out to snatch as many wins as possible. As I mentioned in somewhere else, we have no excuse now. We have spent over a year under Whatmore. We are playing in known condition, and had three week time to get use to the environment. Our opponents are not Superman, and most important of all, some wins have been long due. It is time for us to get our fair share.

Centuries: Now that we have eight centuries in test, the number of ODI centuries are crying for a raise. In ODI, centuries and wins go hand by hand. One fast pace century from a single person can entirely change the result of the game. Unfortunately, we do not have many candidates who can step forward to do that. In this tournament, Bashar and Ashraful should take this responsibility to reach three digits to present some win. I’m not
saying that one century automatically ensures win, but it certainly increases the chances, and makes others’ job easier.

Stress Handling: There could be many people who disagree with me on this, but I think if we knew how to play the natural game under pressure, we could have 2-3 more wins in last one year. In Pakistan, in Zimbabwe and in WI we lost games where we were so close to win. The analysis goes kind of like this, because we are not use to winning, we do not know how to handle situations like those and loose the game even if we had the advantage. This is an infinite loop, and we need to break it. Since this problem is mental, seeking help for it should not be too hard. Believing is winning.

We need to have at least two wins to call this tournament a success. Well, that does not say it all. Say, we get the two wins in the first two matches, and then thinking that we have reached the goal, we give up fighting for the last three matches; I would not call it a real success. Fight for everything, with every possible mean in every single match is what we need to do, does not matter what the scenario is. Let the opponents feel tigers’ bite every time they face us.

Old July 8, 2004, 06:25 PM
Retired BC Admin

This is going in too, unless ofcourse you object. I'll post it in the front page tonight. Thanks.
Old July 8, 2004, 06:49 PM
Cricket Legend

You broke it down good Agent! :cool2:
Old July 8, 2004, 07:57 PM
Cricket Legend

ash did his century here in SL, so no problem.:P
Old July 8, 2004, 09:56 PM

Very reasonable topic from Agetsmith!
Hope they ( BD players ) can see those target as well.

Beat Hong Kong:
Wish a dominated win over Hong Kong.

Opening Pair:
Javed & Ashraful or Rana & Ashraful either way, need a constant scoring pair.

As Many Win As possible :
Atleast 1 win over other test playing country.
Not just too close to win but a win against them could be call as success.

Centuries:
Hard to expect one from them, but wish goes to Habibul and Ashraful

Stress Handling:
If they lose the game which is very close because of pressure, that had an excuse till then.
But not any more. Sometime it seems to me that they shows some foolish aggression.
I can remember last ODI against WI which was too close, Rajin bowl a fulltoss ball to
the last bats man who scored 6 from that ball. So was in the last "test match" when Rana
and Habibul was batting too good, Rana hit couple of boundary and then try to hit
again for boundary get caught. And the next ball habibul was LBWd which was the trigger of collapse.
It confuse me, is it come from pressure or something else.

First 15 over target:
75 or more, average 5 runs per over.

Last 10 over target:
80 or more, average 8 runs per over.

Rest 25 over target:
100 or more, average 4 runs per over.

Wish all the luck for BD.

[Edited on 9-7-2004 by PoorFan]

Old July 10, 2004, 02:11 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

well...we've been playing so much in recent time, that i think we really cant use the excuse stress handling anymore. specially in the past year we've been in many tight situations, and next time we shud be the one on the winning end.
Old July 10, 2004, 11:41 AM

Not giving away hat trick could be a target too.
Old July 10, 2004, 12:17 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

(just repeating this post of mine from another thread.. since it is related to this topic too)
after reading the interview of Bashar in the indian magazine i felt that the team really seems to be eger to win... i never saw this team so much hungry before!!

in an earlier post in other thread i wrote tht the fans r hungry for wins now... it seems i am wrong.. coz not just the fans.. the team is also desperate!!....

i don think we hav to wait much long for some stunning performance by them!!.... maybe this Asia Cup is going to bring us big surprises!!

best of luck to the team from heart.. now i want to see Bangladesh beat atleast one major team in this very tournament desperately!!
Old July 10, 2004, 07:37 PM

Nice to hear that encouraging comment from crickethorizon!
Sorry I couldn't read that interview because not having Bangla font may be.
But hope their desperateness and hungriness will bring a win against major team ( as you said ).
we are all very desperate & hungry to see something real respectable.
Old July 11, 2004, 03:56 AM
First Class Cricketer

I am afraid of rain. Our players could not show their best performance in ODI in both Zimbabwe and West Indies.