facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old March 6, 2005, 03:47 PM
BC Editorial Team

Default We, the dumb !

In 2002, Richard Lynn and Tatu Vanhanen came up with a table, 'IQ and the Wealth of nations', which records the national IQ based on arithmetic means as calculated by them

Topping the list at 107 is Hong Kong, with South Korea second at 106, Japan and Liechtenstein third at 105. Germany is at 102, the US at 98 as is France, and the UK at 100 as is China.

Bottom of the list is Equatorial Guinea at 59 (its president, Colonel Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, aide-de-camp to his uncle and former president, overthrew him, had him tried and executed. In the presidential elections of December 2002, Mbasogo won over 97 per cent of the vote.).

As far as IQ, coupled with wealth, is concerned, the subcontinent does not fare too well - India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka are all equal at 81.

http://www.dawn.com/weekly/cowas/cowas.htm

Old March 6, 2005, 03:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Well it seems SOuth Asia is right in the middle. I would think we would be a little higher but it is a matter of little importance.
Old March 7, 2005, 12:30 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

sorry can't buy that.

living in usa, i've seen native people here are making a show out of some arithematic or any other type of educational problem where brown screens going past them easily. i'm finishing my undergrad in engineering in a respected university here, and almost always the highest grade getting students in class are, brown, from asian sub continent. why?
Old March 7, 2005, 01:06 AM
Cricket Legend

The South Asian students get the highest grade in class because only the best ones come here. For example most south Asian grad students at my university are from IIT, BUET and NUST. No wonder they are smarter than other americans.

I took a Psychology class in freshman year, where they stated a research, which found out that people of all races will have similar IQ if brought up in same environment. That is, if an African/Hispanic kid grows up in a family which emphasies a lot on Education like chinese families,his avg score in math and sciences will be high like chinese students .

Since most people in South Asia are poor and don't have access to proper education, their IQ score will obviously be lower than other developed counrty like Korea, japan.

Quote:
Originally posted by AgentSmith
sorry can't buy that.

living in usa, i've seen native people here are making a show out of some arithematic or any other type of educational problem where brown screens going past them easily. i'm finishing my undergrad in engineering in a respected university here, and almost always the highest grade getting students in class are, brown, from asian sub continent. why?

Edited on, March 7, 2005, 11:48 PM GMT, by nayeem007.
Old March 7, 2005, 04:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Also if you go to pre university/collage schools (high school, elementry) then you will also see south asian people getting high marks along iwth chinese. The highest mark getters are thsoe who recently came from their native countires. Allthoguh they speak poorer english they excell at other subjects because schools in north america are more relaxed than those in BD or china.
Old March 7, 2005, 04:50 PM
Cricket Sage

The migrated brown skins in Western world may not be a good barometer to judge the IQ of the whole nation back home.

It may be better or less, but most likely will not be the same.
Old March 7, 2005, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally posted by AgentSmith
sorry can't buy that.

hmm...the top ones in my class are chinese.

anyways, i don't buy the crap that USA has such a high IQ level...maybe they considered the brown and chinese americans in as well.
Old March 7, 2005, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally posted by Fazal
The migrated brown skins in Western world may not be a good barometer to judge the IQ of the whole nation back home.

It may be better or less, but most likely will not be the same.
very true.