facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 18, 2008, 05:01 PM
First Class Cricketer

Default Sri Lanka lifts ban on rebel players

Sri Lanka lifts ban on rebel players

By Bipin Dani

Mumbai, Sept. 18 : While the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) has slapped a 10-year-ban on the players who joined Indian cricket League (ICL), Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) has done exactly the reverse.

According to Colombo-based sources close to the SLC, the interim committee has decided to revoke bans on those players who joined ICL and will be allowing them to play Club cricket.

As per the ICC guide lines, the ban was imposed during the tenure of former SLC Interim Committee chief Jayantha Dharmadasa.

The logic of lifting the ban by Arjuna Ranatunga and company is certain to shock the International Cricket Council and especially the Indian cricket board, with whom present SLC chairman Arjuna Ranatunga is at loggerheads.

"It may be the first step to allow players to represent the country in future", one of the top sources in Sri Lanka pointed out. The decision was taken at the last interim committee meeting.

"We received the request from a few players and the decision was taken", one of the interim committee members said on conditions of anonymity.

The chairman Arjuna Ranatunga was not available as he is in London, it is learnt.

http://www.dailymirror.lk/DM_BLOG/Se...px?ARTID=26744

Old September 18, 2008, 05:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Yeh BCB and other boards will probably also follow suite, but first I think we should drain everything BCCI is giving us, before we do this.
Old September 18, 2008, 09:14 PM
BC Editorial Team

The first good news in cricket that I have heard in a week It is only club cricket, but it is the intention that is important.
Old September 18, 2008, 10:14 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin
The first good news in cricket that I have heard in a week It is only club cricket, but it is the intention that is important.
Club cricket is domestic first class cricket in Sri Lanka. So if they perform well in first class there's a possibility for them to get into the national team.
Old September 18, 2008, 10:51 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
Yeh BCB and other boards will probably also follow suite, but first I think we should drain everything BCCI is giving us, before we do this.
BCB won't.

BCB is not in the level of other boards yet. We have so many weak points. Our Test Status is in stake.
Old September 19, 2008, 03:42 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Good & bold decision in current perspective.
Next is I think Pak, there us a strong concensus within pak. The pressure is building on PCB.
Old September 20, 2008, 04:00 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

what a stupid position we are in... it seems like the only country that has lost players valuable to their national team is us. NZ did lose Shane Bond but he had hardly played for the last 3-4 years anyway. How can Bangladeshi people support the ICL team at all?
Old September 20, 2008, 06:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

if previous committee is still runs the SLC then this would not happen... my guess the family relation between Attapatu and Ranatunga plays a role!!
Old September 20, 2008, 06:36 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Mash & Sakib

but try to understand and think about it that Those SL players didn't go to ICL the way our players did. they informed the board about this a long time ago. and they didn't talk like showing unbearable attitudes.the way our players did this and the way they talked, such as shahariar nafees, those SL players MUST BE BANNED FOR THEIR LIVES. so our board didn't do anything wrong.they hold the and after being all that the way they had been treated by those players, then BCB can do some big damages.BCB director said that "they didn't show up in the meeting which called to talk to the players.now if they still join the ICL then it won't be goob for them."may be in BCB, there are be corrupted people.but still i think what they did with those so-called rebels, that was well deserved by those players.think about this that Aftab and Nizam thought it would be maximum 1 year as penalty.so they were thinking not play in national team for 1 year at least.so think about it, how pathetic it would be!!!they would've betrayed and also be honoured by us like RAJAKAR NIJAMI.

Anywayz i do welcome SLC's decision.they did the right thing. as i said before if our player did talk to the board and come up with some agreement and then went to play,i would've supported that Dhk Warriors too.
Old September 20, 2008, 07:21 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Dont you guys think, few top performers refusal to tour next summer in England due to their IPL contract has triggered Ranathunge to make such decission.

Last edited by MohammedC; September 24, 2008 at 09:31 PM..
Old September 20, 2008, 08:45 AM
Cricket Legend

The Sri Lankan Board made a very bad decision.
Old September 20, 2008, 07:37 PM
Cricket Legend

The new zealand ICL players play in their domestic competition to much anger by the bcci,don't see the problem tho.
Old September 23, 2008, 09:30 PM
BC Editorial Team

Sri Lanka is now going to allow Murali, Jayawardene, Jayasuriya, Sangakkara etc and possibly players like Mendis, to skip a Test and ODI tour of England.

Quote:
Sri Lanka's sports minister Gamini Lokuge has instructed the Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) board to ensure that those players who are contracted with the BCCI-run Indian Premier League (IPL) be allowed to skip the England tour next year.

"I want the contracted players to honour their commitments with the IPL. I don't want the tour to England be called off. But the team on English soil can have non-contracted IPL players," he said from Colombo.

The sports minister did not want the relations between the two boards be affected. The minister had meetings with the Interim Committee members on Tuesday afternoon. The SLC chairman Arjuna Ranatunga could not attend the meeting as he is yet to return from England.
http://cricketnext.com/news/dont-ski.../34277-13.html
Old September 24, 2008, 02:44 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Sri Lanka Cricket has revised its stance on ICL cricketers playing domestic cricket after a meeting with the sports minister Gamini Lokuge. The board clarified that the approval, given by the interim committee, to ICL players last week to play domestic matches was limited to the "upcoming Premier League Cricket Tournament 2008 only".
Ouch, looks like BCCI has put paddle to the metal

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/srila...ry/371021.html
Old September 24, 2008, 08:30 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
Ouch, looks like BCCI has put paddle to the metal

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/srila...ry/371021.html
There was an earlier report that Sharad Pawar contacted Sri Lankan president Rajapakse and requested him to call on Lokuge and deal with Ranatunga's decision.
Old September 24, 2008, 09:39 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin
There was an earlier report that Sharad Pawar contacted Sri Lankan president Rajapakse and requested him to call on Lokuge and deal with Ranatunga's decision.
Ranatunga wont sit quitely over this. He will speak out. This is not the End.
Old September 25, 2008, 12:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

It will be interesting to see what happens now, as the ban has only been partially lifted. Makes sense though. The board does not want to hurt its ties with BCCI.
Old September 30, 2008, 01:09 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib
It will be interesting to see what happens now, as the ban has only been partially lifted. Makes sense though. The board does not want to hurt its ties with BCCI.
May be they will go one year at a time, until ICC recognizes ICL
Old October 2, 2008, 10:36 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

my hypothesis is that Sri Lanka did this only so Bangladesh would follow suit and thus things would be back to "normal"....but who am i to judge when someone says something like "playing for Bangladesh is depressing..."

reality is with the burden of unrealistic expectations from fans (Like Myself) it is somewhat depressing