facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

View Poll Results: Would you move back to Bangladesh permanently?
Yes I would return back 31 70.45%
No I will remain overseas 13 29.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 18, 2008, 07:52 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadi
Would I like to go back? Yes. Would I go back? Most likely no.
I would put it a little differently:
Would I like to go back? Yes. Can I possibly go back? Most likely no.

This is not only for Bangladesh...rather anywhere in the world. I personally don't think that moving from one part of the world to another can cause any good things to happen in your life. I know so many people who moved to the west in search of a better life, but never saw that day. And I also know so many people who moved back to Bangladesh after living in the west, and couldn't do anything to continue having a good life.

I think once you settle down somewhere, it's good to stay there unless you feel that you can't make your minimum living in that place.

Old May 18, 2008, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

No, I wouldn't go back unless I absolutely had to (for whatever reason).
Old May 19, 2008, 12:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
I think moving back is easier said than done. All those blissful moments with family, friends and food are soon over when you start to settle in your new life. .

Good point, many NRBs on holiday in Bangladesh experience the "holiay syndrome", i.e. all relatives are nice to them as they see are seeing each other after maybe 4 years, people are extra hospitable, they eat Polao every other day, and give and receive gifts. Then once they return to Canada/USA they think "Bangladesh is so good, you have relatives there etc etc".

But if somene returns, they wont necessarily find extra hospitable relatives throughout the year, they will become another "local resident", and very likely they may be unable to see some relatives for a month or 2 because their schedules dont match.

However, this doesnt apply for those with direct relatives in Bangladesh i.e. parents and siblings.
Old May 19, 2008, 12:41 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
Good point, many NRBs on holiday in Bangladesh experience the "holiay syndrome", i.e. all relatives are nice to them as they see are seeing each other after maybe 4 years, people are extra hospitable, they eat Polao every other day, and give and receive gifts. Then once they return to Canada/USA they think "Bangladesh is so good, you have relatives there etc etc".

But if somene returns, they wont necessarily find extra hospitable relatives throughout the year, they will become another "local resident", and very likely they may be unable to see some relatives for a month or 2 because their schedules dont match.

However, this doesnt apply for those with direct relatives in Bangladesh i.e. parents and siblings.
aponi bachle baper nam
Old May 19, 2008, 02:16 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: PRINCE OF KOLKATA!!!

Quote:

Very, Very True!

This is a good topic, i opened an immigration thread, and this was one topic that could have been touched upon, im glad someone gave it, its own thread, thanks Alien bro!

For me, returning to Kolkata, would be out of the question, we try to visit every year, and i thoroughly enjoy it, but im so used to my life in UK, i can't imagine myself outside the UK. I sometimes think to myself, as a 1st Generation Immigrant, why did my father come to this country? Didn't he realise what dilemnas for me and my siblings there would be. I also wonder (very rarely) what would it be like, if i had stayed there, after birth. Im told, it would have been very different.

I have throughout my stay, been surronded by people similar to my parents, we are like a family, i have always felt at ease and at home when, with other 1st generation families like mine, who i know. Though, at school i have had no problems, im talking about from a family point of view. The other Asian communities, Gujuratis, who have arrived in the 70s from East Africa, Punjabis and Pakistanis, correct me if im wrong, have been arriving in a wider time period are different. Bangladeshis in UK, im not too sure about, once again. I guess depending on how long ur family have adjusted, and what age you are decides what option. For me, i dont see a future where i will live in Kolkata sadly. Though many of my parents friends are planning to, which is sad to see from my point of view, but in the end, they are doing what they feel is right for themselves, so i wish them and all who plan to on this board, best of luck!
Old May 19, 2008, 08:45 PM
Forever Bangy

My dad's heart's been in Bangladesh for the last 30 years. Same with my mum. Even after all these years, I think they will move back (probably after getting me settled down.. ha! so they think!) .. and if they do I would follow them eventually.

I've always wondered.. if all the educated, able people take off to settle overseas - desher unnoti ki bhabe hobe?
Old May 20, 2008, 08:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

BD is and has always been in a deep deep mess. There is no room for unnoti. And I mean major unnoti.

Personally I find staying overseas is the best way to serve the nation by:

1) Minimising our population. That's one less person the country has to feed for every one that leaves.
2) Injecting foreign currency into the local economy.

Speaking from a realist point of view, there are equal number of pros and cons in living in BD. By doing the above 2, I am serving my nation more than some sorry bloke screaming "joy bangla, joy gonotontro etc". Patriotism is good in times of war, but for last 30 years no one threatened us. So there is no need for it atm.

Before I left for Sydney, my Bangla teacher at school gave me big talk that how I am neglecting my motherland, and not serving my nation, by "fleeing" overseas. I was little at that time but now I feel like asking him what is he doing to serve the motherland aside from just yapping away and teaching shoryea roshoi dirghoi and some boring Nazrul poems.

Speaking of unnoti, to me the root of all the problems in Bangladesh lies in three major areas:

1) Over-population. We are a small country and if we need to desperately reduce our population if need be give out free condoms or enforce 2 child policy if that fails. I think 1 is a bit too harsh, so 2 is a better. Screw democracy, population control is more important than some guy's democratic right to have multiple babies.

2) Education. We need to overhaul our education system and use foreign aid to build more schools and improve the quality of education in universities.

3) Corruption. Enough said about corruption already, and it's being taken care off by CTG. Though more needs to be done.

Unless the people who gets paid to serve the nation and root out these major problems, (the government may that be CTG, BNP or Hasina), does anything about it, Bangladesh will remain in this sorry state for eternity.

Last edited by Alien; May 20, 2008 at 08:31 AM..
Old May 20, 2008, 08:24 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona
I've always wondered.. if all the educated, able people take off to settle overseas - desher unnoti ki bhabe hobe?
Same thing my nana used to say. That's what led him to "refuse" the US citizenship back in 1952!!! He went back, and is still living, Alhamdulillah.

There's a few things you have to understand. We can make small changes at our own individual level in the country. But what we don't see is how the society is harboring the evil, and how that evil is killing the small individual-level changes we've made.

I take my nana as someone to look up to. This is something of his that I just wish I could consider. But there are other compelling factors that make my return to Bangladesh quite unlikely.
Old May 20, 2008, 09:56 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

This is how it starts for many:
For a student at overseas, easy to say I would go back home after I finish my studies. They comes the a) Master's program or b) work.

a) Masters: Let me finish that then I'll go back. Actually after that PhD program or work comes in the way. After PhD, BD has no job to offer so working overseas is the only option.

b) Work: Need to get permanent residency. Adding to it a wife and couple of kids. Now it is no longer "me". It is "us". Can everyone handle the downgrade of the life style? Healthcare, food other questions as such pop up.

By the way, permanent residency rolls in to need to get citizenship phase. All of a sudden you see 10/20 years has passed by. Still the urge is going back remains strong. So as time goes by things just gets complicated. I know people when they buy electronics they think of 220 volts. back in their mind they are going to take them to BD. Some of them are living here in US for 30+ years.

+++++

Inshallah, I still see myself relocating back to BD. Some mandatory unfinished business still needs to be addressed here.

I can help BD better being there than from here. The intention has to be pure.

+++++
BD-S,
The poet is not saying that he wants to return to BD but only requests or urges to his creator (silent here). He wants to be here by any means that shows the love for the land. In Jonmatorbad if you come back as something other than human you are downgrading your performance in the earth. He is willing to sacrifice from returning as a better human in some other land than to return as anything that would be associated with Bangla.
Old May 20, 2008, 10:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Where do you think contribute most (to society?)?

Answer of this may lead you to where should you settle.
Old May 20, 2008, 04:01 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
BD-S,
The poet is not saying that he wants to return to BD but only requests or urges to his creator (silent here). He wants to be here by any means that shows the love for the land. In Jonmatorbad if you come back as something other than human you are downgrading your performance in the earth. He is willing to sacrifice from returning as a better human in some other land than to return as anything that would be associated with Bangla.[QUOTE]

ব্যাঘ্র-লোচন ভাই, আপনি যথার্থ বলেছেন। 'আবার আসিব ফিরে কবিতা' থেকে এটি সম্পূর্ণ স্পষ্ট যে কবিতার মূল উপজীব্য বিষয় হল দেশের প্রতি কবির প্রগাঢ় মমত্ববোধ এবং গভীর ভালোবাসা। কবিতা থেকে এটাও স্পষ্ট যে, কবির ব্যক্তিগত ধ্যান-ধারণায় পুনরায় পৃথিবীতে প্রত্যাবর্তনের ধারণাটি ছিল। তবে মুখ্য কথা হল, কবি যে রুপেই ফিরে আসেন না কেন, তিনি ফিরে আসতে চান বাংলায়। এমনকি 'সুদর্শন', যার কাব্যিক অর্থ এখানে এক ধরণের গোবরে পোকা, হিসেবে ফিরে আসতেও কোন আপত্তি নেই কবি্‌ যদি তিনি ফিরে আসেন বাংলার মাটিতে। এটিই নির্জীবতার কবি জীবনানন্দ দাশের আসামান্য দেশপ্রেমের কথা প্রমাণ করে।

Last edited by BD-Shardul; May 20, 2008 at 04:16 PM..
Old May 20, 2008, 04:10 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
if you ever move back to bangladesh i think u will disappointed in finding "bunch of materialists" in Bangladesh as well.......
the environment i was raised at was very alive, and lively! i should be careful with my word choice. i mean i grew up in Bangladesh for about 11 years, and to tell you the truth i was never ever bored. NEVER, i didn't play video games nor did i watch too much tv(except with my brother sometimes and friends/cricket/drama at night/eid) but i was never ever bored? why? i was always with people, alive funny real people! in the USA i just never felt home even when i am with some people, except sometimes i feel alive!

that's what i meant by bunch of materialists... i do not have "fun" because of the environment or friends i am surrounded by or spending too much time playing video games alone or internet where in bangladesh it is a lot of fun to be a kid! trust me!(given the right environment)

and because i was a kid, everyone was nice to me, maybe because i like bangladesh better because i have grown up. otherwise, United States can be a great place to live too... you don't have to worry so much(opposite in bangladesh, a country of worry, but still i had fun because i was a kid).

plus, it is home, everyone thinks like you, can easily understand you, that is where i am the most frank, open. and i had some really great friends there

Last edited by Rifat; May 20, 2008 at 04:20 PM..
Old May 20, 2008, 04:18 PM
Cricket Sage

I have no plan or reason to move back to Bangladesh. Don't ask me why. But I plan to visit Bangladesh more often.

Other people may have both plan and reason to move back to Bangladesh.

Eash individual have their own comfort level, priorities, needs, responsibilities, ties, ethics, etc. that may contibute whether they want (on not) to move back to Bangladesh.

In a broader term whatever place you choose to live the rest of your life you can still contibute to the people in may different ways.
Old May 20, 2008, 04:23 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
I have no plan or reason to move back to Bangladesh. Don't ask me why. But I plan to visit Bangladesh more often.

Other people may have both plan and reason to move back to Bangladesh.

Eash individual have their own comfort level, priorities, needs, responsibilities, ties, ethics, etc. that may contibute whether they want (on not) to move back to Bangladesh.

In a broader term whatever place you choose to live the rest of your life you can still contibute to the people in may different ways.
completely agree!
Old May 21, 2008, 06:29 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tareq Aziz

As soon as I have some work experience here, I would go back and do something for my country.
There are a lot of BD students who go abroad and stay abroad. How does that benefit our country ?

However, if there are good jobs in BD now, I would also go back very soon.
Old May 21, 2008, 10:05 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahid
As soon as I have some work experience here, I would go back and do something for my country.
There are a lot of BD students who go abroad and stay abroad. How does that benefit our country ?

However, if there are good jobs in BD now, I would also go back very soon.
Just dont get your hopes too high my friend.
...the silver lining fades out pretty soon....
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old May 21, 2008, 01:36 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Niccolo Machiavelli

It has been 20 years in overseas but still want to go back to BD forever every single day. what is preventing ? Good question ! I wish I knew the right answer !It is also possible that I never looked for the right answer in the right manner.
Old May 23, 2008, 01:22 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
This is a no-brainer. It's like asking someone living in heaven whether he wants to live in hell.
wow! some people really think of their motherland that way!!! thank god, im not one of em!!

this is a no-brainer for me - going back to BD. working towards that goal. My fiance and I are both US citizen, and yet, 7 years from now (actually sooner, according to him) we will be nowhere but BD, inshallah.
Old May 23, 2008, 01:32 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

I will go back.
Old May 23, 2008, 02:22 PM
Cricket Sage

The grass is always greener on the otherside, a saying whose truths most people tend to ignore.

“Aloo khele mota hoi, e kothati shotto noi. Beshi kore aloo khan, bhaater upor chaap koman.”
Old May 23, 2008, 03:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: BD Team Players

I will definitely go back to Bangladesh. I know it will be difficult for me to adjust back there after living in Canada for a long time but I know eventually I will adjust. My goal is to play for Bd and I am doing everything I can to fulfill my dreams. I will come back to Canada for visit though. I just can't ignore the beautiful sights, the people, even the pollution in Bangladesh. BD is my motherland and everything is like heaven to me there!! Besides whats the point of having all the comfort and what not if you cant enjoy it?
Old May 24, 2008, 09:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, AB De, Amla

My dad is in the Navy, he was invited to USA for a year. Next month, I am going back to Bangladesh. So, think of it, what a nice way to come to USA
"And be true to every promise- for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made." - [Al Qur'an - 17:34]
Old May 24, 2008, 10:55 AM
Forever Bangy

I find all the negativity quite funny actually. It's as if people are completely resigned to the fact that living in Bangladesh would be impossible after experiencing the good life out West. I don't think any of the people who are seriously considering moving back expect an easy ride and definitely wouldn't expect it to be like some sort of permanent holiday. And it's not about the grass being greener or feelings of nostalgia either - it's about following through with a deep desire even though it's difficult and highly likely to fail. I reckon if people don't have kids.. why not take the risk? How good would it be if it does work out.