facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports > FIFA World Cup Soccer 2006 (Archive)

FIFA World Cup Soccer 2006 (Archive) Biggest sporting event in the world. This is time for the sky high excitement.

Old July 7, 2006, 12:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Thumbs up Tribute to the Legend: Zinedine Zidane

সাংবাদিকদের খেলা দেখার জন্য মিউনিখ স্টেডিয়ামটা রীতিমতো স্বর্গ – মাঠ যেখানে শেষ, প্রেসবক্স শুরু সেখান থেকেই। পরশুর সেমিফাইনালে সেটিরই দ্বিতীয় সারিতে আমার আসন। মাঠের এপাশটাতে যখন খেলা হচ্ছে, জিদানের নাক থেকে ঘামের ফোঁটা পড়তে দেখছি, যেন শুনতে পাচ্ছি রোনালদো-অঁরির নিশ্বাসের শব্দ!
আচ্ছা, জিদানের বুটে আঠা-টাঠা কিছু লাগানো আছে ! মাঝরাতে টেলিভিশনে রিয়াল মাদ্রিদের খেলা দেখে অনেকবারই এ ভেবে শোয়া থেকে ঝট করে উঠে বসেছি। গত পরশু চোখের সামনে জিদান ঘিরে ধরা তিন পর্তুগিজের মাঝখান থেকে যেভাবে বলটা বের করলেন, তা দেখে “নিজের চোখকেও বিশ্বাস করতে পারছি না” কথাটার সত্যিকার মানে খুঁজে পেলাম।
বাঁ দিকে গেলেন, ডানে গেলেন, অত বড় শরীরটা নিয়ে ওটুকু জায়গার মধ্যে টার্ন করলেন, বল পায়ে-ই আছে! রেফারি খেলা থামিয়ে আবার জিদানের বুট পরীক্ষা করতে চাইলে তাকে দোষ দেয়া যেত না!

প্রথম আলোঃ ৭ জুলাই ২০০৬: বিশ্বকাপের ডায়েরীঃ উৎপল শুভ্র

Last edited by babubangla; July 7, 2006 at 12:42 AM..
Old July 7, 2006, 12:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Lippi Salutes Zidane Renaissance

"Zidane is probably the best player there has been in the past 20 years."

Italy coach Marcello Lippi says Zinedine Zidane's return to form has lifted the wholeFrance team ahead of Sunday's World Cup final in Berlin.

Real Madrid player Zidane, who is to retire after the final, played under Lippi for three years at Juventus.

"France have recovered the best Zidane and have grown through the tournament. Beating Portugal confirmed that they are in top form," he said.

Source: BBC
Old July 7, 2006, 12:49 AM
Cricket Legend

ফ্রান্সের মার্সেই শহরে, তাঁর জন্মস্থানে প্রতিটি দেয়ালজুড়ে আকাঁ জিদানের ছবি। সেটাতো প্রকাশ্য, চাইলেই গুনে ফেলা যায়। কিন্তু ১০ নম্বর জার্সিধারী এই খেলোয়াড়ের ছবি যে পৃথিবীজুড়ে কতকোটি ভক্তের হৃদয়ে আকাঁ হয়ে যাচ্ছে, ভুল করেও তার হিসাব নিতে যাবেন না। তারচেয়ে আকাশের তারা গোনার চেস্টা করাই ঢের ভালো !

প্রথম আলোঃ ৭ জুলাই ২০০৬
Old July 7, 2006, 09:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Klose backing for Zidane
Striker Klose and team-mate Michael Ballack have both been named on the shortlist of ten for the prestigious award, which honours the most valuable player of the Word Cup. But Klose feels that Zidane, after a slow start, has had a huge effect on the tournament.

The veteran Frenchman has rolled back the years to inspire Les Bleus to the final, providing a fitting swansong to a glittering career that will end, win or lose, on Sunday.

"If I was to name a non-German player then I would definitely settle for Zidane," he told Sky Sports News.

"He is a great player, a strategist, and he puts the ball right into the forwards' feet, so he is a great player.

"Don't forget that in the first few games he had a hell of a time, he only shone in the past two games."

Klose also revealed that he was looking forward to witnessing one more magical performance from Zidane against Italy on Sunday.

"I would love Zidane to have a great game in the final and then pay his farewell to the international stage," he hoped.

Thierry Henry, Patrick Vieira, Andrea Pirlo, Gianluigi Buffon, Gianluca Zambrotta, Fabio Cannavaro and Maniche are the others in the running for the Golden Ball.

Source: SkySports
Old July 7, 2006, 09:22 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Babubhai,
Maf korey dewa jai na? amra shobai jani Uthpol bhai ektu beshi rong makhathey pochondo koren. Tai boley notun ar ekta thread gigu taklu kay niye?
Old July 7, 2006, 09:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats_eye
Babubhai,
Maf korey dewa jai na? amra shobai jani Uthpol bhai ektu beshi rong makhathey pochondo koren. Tai boley notun ar ekta thread gigu taklu kay niye?
Vai Jan,
Ar to matro 2-ta din. Ektu mukh buija sojjo koira nen.
Old July 7, 2006, 09:49 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by babubangla
Vai Jan,
Ar to matro 2-ta din. Ektu mukh buija sojjo koira nen.
Aar parchinare bhai, 2 din jeno 2 bochorer shoman. Accha Taklur bidaye ki apni chokher jol felben?
Old July 7, 2006, 09:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceoff
Aar parchinare bhai, 2 din jeno 2 bochorer shoman. Accha Taklur bidaye ki apni chokher jol felben?
Chokher Jol na Arekta Thread -- ekhono decide kortey parsi na.
Chacha type kisu ekta farewell er chesta korte pari.

But World Cup er somoy je harey manusher har jalailam-- money hoi tournament er por kisu din ga dhaka ditey hobey.
Old July 7, 2006, 09:56 AM
Test Cricketer

I think its about time for your another long drive trip
Old July 7, 2006, 10:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Italian Midfielder Rino Gattuso says
"With Zidane, it's just a case of Magic, Now you see the ball and now you don't."

To Stop Zidane, Italians think- they have Gattuso to stop Zidane.
But Gattuso himself is seeking “Divine Intervention” for stopping Zidane.

"He is the type of player that when he is 100% he doesn't let you see the ball," Gattuso said. "With him, it's just a case of magic, now you see the ball and now you don't.

Italian Defender Marco Materazzi's response to talk of the threat Zidane poses to Italy's hopes of World Cup was simple: "We have Gattuso". Materazzi said that in midfielder Rino Gattuso, Italy had a player to negate the threat of Zidane. "We have people who can mark Zizou all over the pitch and we've also got Gattuso, who's in incredible form. He doesn't need encouragement - if he were any more up for it he'd destroy everything."

But Italy midfielder Gennaro Gattuso said he will look to the heavens for help stopping Zinedine Zidane in Sunday's World Cup final.

"You simply don't stop Zidane," said Gattuso. "He is one of the strongest players - when he has the ball you have to do the sign of the cross and hope he misses."

Sources:
Sportlinglife
Reuters
Noticias-Spain

Last edited by babubangla; July 7, 2006 at 10:56 AM..
Old July 7, 2006, 11:28 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Any consistent performer

Heard that Grameen is bringing him in Dhaka as Head Coach of BD footabll. I don't know if they will be able to afford him. BUt where are the players? May be it's better to start from 10/12 years age group. So may be in 2014 BD can play in WC soccer.
Old July 7, 2006, 12:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Zidane is coming to BD on Nov 7th of this year ... heard it on N-TV news yesterday. But I think it is only for a visit, heard nothing about coaching.
Old July 8, 2006, 11:29 AM
Cricket Legend

The Great Zidane
The quarterfinals match last Saturday between Brazil and France reminds me of a scene from the boxing movie saga, "Rocky," where an inspirational underdog faces his number one nemesis in a final blood-guts-and-glory battle.

The hero this time is not Sly, but none other than the great Zinedine Zidane, who at 34 years of age and two games short of retirement (if France beat Portugal on Wednesday) was instrumental in knocking out this Cup's favored-to-win team. Zidane has shown the world that he is the eye of the tiger.

Zidane not only brought the French team to the semifinals with an assist to Thierry Henry's goal but also revived this lackluster World Cup series, which has been criticized for being short of stellar performances from star players.

This is Zidane's quasi-comeback after being called a "has-been" by the French media, accused of being too old to play. And just like an embattled hero seeking his second wind, Zidane, the veteran three-time FIFA football awardee, played in a state of grace on Saturday against Brazil. It almost felt like history itself unfolding.

The idea that every game could be his last is a Hollywood plot that grips the heart of every football fan. There is also some sentiment when remembering how a boy of Algerian descent grew up in the rough streets of Marseilles to become the best football player since Maradona and Pele.

Against Brazil, Zidane stole the show with moves. One Associated Press writer called his performance "almost Brazilian." Zidane's exquisite footwork and almost sublime passing earned him the title of "executioner" on Brazil's internet portal, uol.com.br, for sending Brazil home on round two, a recurring Brazilian nightmare after France first beat them in the 1998 World Cup.

Meanwhile, the French media has caught a round of Zidanitis. "Zidanitis" is a term coined by French actor Jamel Debbouze to describe a contagious disease caught when Zidane is in top form and hungry to play.

"Magic!" screamed L'Equipe. "It was like a dream."

"The samba is blue," went the headline in Nice Matin. (The samba is Brazil's national dance.) "Zidane played his greatest match in blue. A festival of technique, extraordinary control, omnipresence and decisive passes."

And for La Provence, Zidane is "A master without equal. In aggressiveness, in work-rate, in action or in beautiful gestures. He was more Brazilian than the Brazilians."
And even if France does not win this year's World Cup, Zidane is already one for the history books.

Source
Old July 8, 2006, 11:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Why Zidane Will Win the World Cup
The title of this article started out as "Why Brazil will win the World Cup," but after the result of the first game against Croatia, I was very worried and decided to wait a bit more. I waited for Australia, Japan, and Ghana. Still unsure. When Brazil lost the game to France, I was devastated. My 12-year-old kid could not understand: "Mom, it's just a game!"

To my feminine heart, it is not just a game. I cried for all the Brazilian children who, like Ronaldo and Ronaldinho, come from modest families and hold soccer as their hope for overcoming discrimination. Brazilian soccer players come from families that represent 70 percent of what Brazilian families are like. Families who in spite of financial hardship have cared for their children. These kids' dreams were nurtured even on days when tomorrow looked gloomy. They received lovingly made meals even when there was not much for the parents to eat. Someone bet on their future and stood by them.

The Brazilian soccer players are the real people of Brazil. Loving, true with their feelings, hardworking, honest. I cried because this image of what Brazilians truly are has been suffocated by the shameful image of Brazilian politicians diverting money to line their own pockets. Money that is missing in schools, in health care, in transportation. Money that is missing to ease a bit the hard life that 80 percent of Brazilians endure.

I was sure that even with all the wrong decisions of our coach, we still had 130 million people with faith, praying for our players to win and erase forever the low esteem that has stuck as a curse since the times of slavery and colonization. A low self-esteem that is reflected in the stupid comment of our president to Ronaldo, who wondered if Ronaldo could do a good job since he was overweight.

Because of our enormous faith, I trusted that a miracle could happen. But then, Brazilians continue to be under the illusion that all is going well in Brazil. Now we have to face the fact that things are unbearably bad; we have to strive for solutions, and our president can't take a ride on the victory of our soccer players to get himself reelected.

Through my ocean of tears, I saw Zinedine Zidane, at the end of the game, embrace Ronaldo with the love of a brother. And comfort the tears of inconsolable Ze Roberto. I was touched. Why would a Frenchman care that we Brazilians were sad?

In the days that followed, the TV kept repeating the fabulous images of Zidane's spectacular control of the ball. Zidane's care for the Brazilian friends kept haunting my thoughts. His name was looping like a mantra. Zinedine Zidane. Zinedine Zidane. Strong. Rhythmic. Poetic. This was not a French name. Who was this guy? Why did he make France win?

I started to research him on the Web and was amazed with what I found. Right there in Wikipedia it said "of Berber-Algerian descent." Just like me, you probably don't know much about this. As it happens however, last year I saw an old movie called "The Battle of Algiers," winner of the 1956 Cannes Prize and banned from France. Prohibited because it shows the heavy discrimination the Algerians suffered by the French, and their heroic silent persistence that lead to victory and independence.

You probably do not know that there are half a million Berbers in France and they form one-quarter of the population of Algeria today. You probably do not know either that independence did not do much for the Berbers, as the government favored the Arabs. And you probably do not know that the Berbers do not speak Arab. They speak Tamazigh. They were forbidden to speak their own language in their own country. The government issued a list of "approved" names for Algerian children and Berber names were omitted. Only in 1995 was the language allowed to be taught in schools -- as an elective course. The big struggle here is the recognition of Berber identity.

Another interesting fact is that "Berber" means barbarian, but Amazigh (singular) or Tamazigh (plural), as they call themselves, means "free nobleman." And do you know who called them "Berbers"? The Romans, during an earlier invasion. Ah! The Romans... Did they leave strong memories in the Amazigh culture, as recounts a National Geographic journalist, describing his recent visit to an isolated Berber village in Morocco, where he was greeted by the children with cries of "Arrumi!" ("Roman!"), a label to all Westerners.

Well, Monsieur Zinedine Zidane, you've come a long way, haven't you? Look now at all the French people of all ages, jumping around so happy, wearing your shirt, displaying your name with so much pride, celebrating your victory under the Arch of Triumph, their greatest symbol of freedom.

Noble and great Zinedine Zidane, who was chosen by divine justice to be a symbol of victory to all oppressed cultures in the world. The Berbers resisted all invasions -- Roman, Arab, and French -- and managed to keep their identity alive. Resisted poverty and discrimination to pass along a DNA that gave birth to such a skilled soccer player that people today dress in his shirt and exhibit his name with pride.

My 16-year-old son pointed out that the French soccer team has almost no real "French" person but is a mixture of races and cultures. Zidane in an interview says that solidarity is the strongest force binding the team together. It is a habit in small Berber villages to do things together. Marriages are done in large groups, circumcisions too, and even when a sick kid is taken to a doctor, the immediate family and other relatives all go with him for support. Nobody is abandoned to his own faith. Captain Zidane seems to have imported such great habits to his team. Maybe he is not fully conscious of all this, but his colleagues seem to trust his ways: "We just pass the ball to him. He knows what to do with it."

The last game of the 2006 World Cup will be Zidane's last professional game. Will the French beat the Italians? Will Berber culture prove its supremacy over Roman culture all these thousands of years later, through a civilized, bloodless, and beautiful competition?

It matters not the result. Zidane is already the big winner of the World Cup. He has been elected by the crowds. He is a hero in France. A model to the youth. A model to all of us, of a conscious being that does not succumb to the glamour of media and fame, but is seriously engaged in the reduction of poverty and discrimination. What those athletes read before every game is no game. It is about time we stop looking down on people.

May Zidane and Ronaldo continue to hold up the flag of just not a single country, but a flag that goes beyond culture, race, religion, and economic status. Let's not try to make goals just at the last minute of the game. The World Cup will be over soon, and the game of social justice and equal opportunity keeps going on, with a dangerous lack of attackers. How many goals will we score till the next Cup?

Time is running out. There's not a minute to waste. The little boy that sadly sits on the sidewalk of your street and that you walk by pretending doesn't exist, could be holding the World Cup one day and making you feel proud again of your heritage. Just remember: we are all playing on the same team.

Source
Old July 9, 2006, 03:50 PM
ODI Cricketer

What a class-less exit by my hero! That was really selfish and vicous!
Old July 9, 2006, 04:10 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Lets hope no one remembers todays incident. he was a great player and it was unexpected
Old July 9, 2006, 04:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

wat zidane did was terrible. but it dosent show how great he is. a sorry departure, but he will always be my favorite footballer
Old July 9, 2006, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

What an exit! You would expect a player of his callibre would've known better than getting caught in the moment! A red card in his last game, that too on a FIFA World Cup Final, and his team loses! What a shame! That red card was so deserved!
Banned

Favorite Player: Tendulkar

Shame on Zizou !!! Very Shameful act.He should not have done that.
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Zidane's head butt was very disappointing, but I still feel sorry for him.
Old July 9, 2006, 05:22 PM
Cricket Savant

Perfect tribute to a dirty legend. True color always shines at the end. Great career ending headbutt.
Old July 9, 2006, 06:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

i saw the replays and i saw the guy he head butted say something and look on zidane's face changed. i bet it was something really offensive. but i must say zidane shouldnt have done that
Old July 10, 2006, 10:25 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancan
i saw the replays and i saw the guy he head butted say something and look on zidane's face changed. i bet it was something really offensive. but i must say zidane shouldnt have done that
I know he is your hero and I do not want to make you feel bad but in sports racial comments, hahaha!!! Maa, bap, bone kau bad jai na ar racial comment tho dud bhat. One must have a hard skin to be a sportsman. Zidane may be a great player for his generation but I am saying it again, He is a dirty player. Even in 98 world cup he got a red. In this world cup, referee missed another of his headbutt. That was head to head contact. Zidane has no class!!
When someone compares him to the greats that is a disgrace for the greats to be named with him.
Old July 9, 2006, 06:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Zidane should be considered to be one of the great alongside Pele and Maradona. But his temper let him down. He should have watch 82, 86 and 90 WC to look how defenders treated Maradona and how much protection he got. Only once did Maradona lost his temper. I think it was againest Brazil when one of Brazilian defender tore his Jersy. In 1966, Pele was actually injured out by the defenders and he never retaliated.
Old July 9, 2006, 06:58 PM
Test Cricketer

better look at this. Hero to Zero?

Marco Materazzi falls to the ground after being butted by Zinedine Zidane

Feel sorry for him. Must have been harrased by Marco.