facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 6, 2007, 09:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Liton Das
Default Fleming shaken and stirred

Quote:
Fleming receives World Cup headache
New Zealand shaken and stirred by Bangladesh defeat

Stephen Fleming says New Zealand have been shaken by the upset loss to Bangladesh in their opening World Cup warm-up game. Fleming's side came to the Caribbean with high hopes of progressing deep into the tournament after a cleansweep of Australia, but they face some rebuilding after being humbled by the No. 9-ranked Bangladesh.

Despite the painful two-wicket defeat, which was sealed by Mashrafe Mortaza's two sixes off James Franklin, Fleming refused to offer any excuses. "There's not a lot we can say, I guess it's a result that just shakes you up," Fleming told Reuters. "We just didn't play well. It gives us some headaches and I suppose you can say it's a wake-up call before the tournament starts."

Fleming said the result showed how tough the seven-week event would be. "The only other positive for us is that this wasn't a pool match," he said. While Fleming's players stewed, Bangladesh celebrated their first win over New Zealand. New Zealand have a chance to recover with a warm-up game against Sri Lanka on Friday.
Cricinfo

Old March 6, 2007, 10:01 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

"The only other positive for us is that this wasn't a pool match"

LOL! Classic.
Old March 6, 2007, 10:01 PM
Cricket Legend

I think the most interesting part of the article is this:
Quote:
Fleming said the result showed how tough the seven-week event would be.
Seems like the guy refuses to say that it was a one-off...At least he's not taking the easy way out like India or Srilanka by completely refusing any improvement by the BD team whatsoever....
Old March 6, 2007, 10:05 PM
Cricket Legend

These post-match articles are the best part of winning games against the top 8..Although people dont seem to be as "shaken" by this win. I dont see why.....I could guess two reasons (The latter being the one I think which would please me more)
1. One day game (Not ODI)
2. People see Bangladesh as a better team and are therefore less surprised by the win.
Old March 6, 2007, 10:44 PM
Test Cricketer

As a Bangladesh fan I am pretty shaken and stirred as well, New Zealand almost beat us today, that would have been really embarrassing.
Old March 6, 2007, 10:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by capslock
As a Bangladesh fan I am pretty shaken and stirred as well, New Zealand almost beat us today, that would have been really embarrassing.
lol....you know what? I think I would be too, if we lost...This games taught me something...Gone are the days we feel great after close matches. I honestly feel that I would get pissed off if BD lost this one. But of course, Ill never know (and im thankful for that)
Old March 6, 2007, 11:24 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

shaken and stirred- Mash Martini
Old March 6, 2007, 11:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD4eva
lol....you know what? I think I would be too, if we lost...This games taught me something...Gone are the days we feel great after close matches. I honestly feel that I would get pissed off if BD lost this one. But of course, Ill never know (and im thankful for that)
Exactly. Our expectations are higher because our team is better.
Old March 6, 2007, 11:34 PM
Cricket Legend

now its dravid's turn to be shaken and stirred w/ rocks...hehehe...
Old March 7, 2007, 02:49 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:

Seems like the guy refuses to say that it was a one-off...At least he's not taking the easy way out like India or Srilanka by completely refusing any improvement by the BD team whatsoever....
It wasn't one off show though as NZ did fight as much as possible . Both in batting & bowling .
Old March 7, 2007, 03:02 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
These post-match articles are the best part of winning games against the top 8..Although people dont seem to be as "shaken" by this win. I dont see why.....I could guess two reasons (The latter being the one I think which would please me more)
1. One day game (Not ODI)
2. People see Bangladesh as a better team and are therefore less surprised by the win.
Of course it is the second reason. ODI or not ODI, a defeat remains a defeat. But our recent stats, with 2 out of top three wicket takers in 2006, SN among top run getters, our winning rate etc. all has created a positive image. Opponent quality etc. really don't matter after a while. All those games had two effects:

1. Got our players to develop a winning habit. Now they don't give up after a hiccup or two and always stay focused on how to win.

2. Create a better image about Bangladesh, which was evident from the New Zealand talk-show that we followed yesterday for scores.

Old March 7, 2007, 03:09 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

Thank god NZ isn't like that other country - the one who'd rather admit to match-fixing then to admit losing to BD fair and square. I actually had folks from that country say they lost because it was fixed ? Ummm, BRAINIAC, you do realize that it shows a culture of corruption in our own country ? Issh, almost fixed that one test too. That would have been amazing. *sigh*
Old March 7, 2007, 05:26 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Napoleon Einstein

you just have to hope the bangladesh team wins the games that matter thats where the blackcaps will come back strong
Old March 7, 2007, 05:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Well Said by Fleming. Bad Luck to Newzealand.

Tigers Roar.
Old March 7, 2007, 10:04 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

This is not over yet. This was just the first round. We will meet them again in the second round. That when it matters the most.
Quote:

1st, SL always gave credit to our performance. Even on days when we did terrible. Read Attapatu's comments when he was captain. And Jayawardene is a class act too. Dravid, haven't faced the wrath and is/was busy with his own issues. It is Danguli one of our own (bengali) who wanted to have a two tier system. It is the Indian board who don't invite us. It is the Indian dadas who decide/support that lodging and meal money is not worth it for BD team.
Old March 7, 2007, 12:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Heres some more info:
Quote:
Black Caps left black and blue
Published on: 3/7/07.

THE PLAY WAS BAD, bad, bad and the New Zealand camp is mad, mad, mad. The Black Caps were well tracked by the Bangladeshis, who scorched to 230 for eight in reply to 226.

Stephen Fleming, the New Zealand captain, has no excuses. He said they played poorly and lost to a "tricky" team, including Mashrafee Mortaza, who smashed three massive sixes to steal the show.

"It was a poor performance. It was a day when nothing went right. We batted poorly at the beginning and did not assess conditions that well. We knew it was going to be tricky at the start and we fell flat on our faces," Fleming told reporters after the day's play.

"Then we bowled tentatively at the start. We kept clinging on in the field – but we just couldn't shake them. It was a great performance from them, and it gives us some problems going forward."

Fleming did not make a contribution. He fell for a "duck" caught at slip as he tried to force the pace in the fourth over.

"We were always there in the game. We fought back after a poor start and if we had reached 250, that would have been enough, we would have won the game," Fleming said. "... but they fielded brilliantly, you saw the run out of Brendon McCullum, and they just kept coming at us. We just couldn't shake them."

McCullum made 46 off 48 balls, but was run out after a rocket-like direct hit from Mortaza from the long-on fence. Bangladesh skipper Habibul Bashar praised his team for the good showing.

"It was a very good win and naturally we are pleased. It's a stepping stone in the right direction," Bashar said.
Old March 7, 2007, 12:07 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

And here is Dravid's take about the minnows. As diplomatic as one can get. If you look at the bold words one can see the difference between Dada and Dravid.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/wc20...ry/284320.html

World Cup 2007
Dravid supports minnow participation
AFP
March 7, 2007

Rahul Dravid wants the ICC to provide the minnow countries with facilities, training, and games to help them improve their standard © AFP

Rahul Dravid, the Indian captain, has said that minnows should be playing in the World Cup despite India's demolition of Netherlands by 182 runs in the warm-up game at the Trelawny Stadium in Jamaica on Tuesday.

Dravid said the ICC Associate nations, who don't play Tests, add a lot of character and charm to the event, and they must be rewarded for spreading the game in their countries. "I think you have to encourage them to play, and having myself played a season in Scotland, I know the difficulties the associate nations and their players go through to play this game," said Dravid. "What's the incentive for them to play the game with such hardships? Many of the players are amateurs, and take time off from work to play the game and keep it alive in their countries, so I think the International Cricket Council has to do a lot to help them, and not just give them opportunities in tournaments like this.
"The ICC has to identify four or five nations outside of the top eight or nine, and ensure that they can get them up to a standard and provide them with the facilities, training, and games to ensure that they are - at least - semi-professional which will help them improve their standard."
Luuk van Troost, the Netherlands captain, was glad for Dravid's support. "Everybody knows where Sri Lanka cricket was about 20 or so years ago, but look at where they are today," said van Troost. "This is our goal. We are putting a lot of time and energy into it, and we are looking at raising our game each and every time we take the field.
"We deserve to be here. We worked hard, we qualified, and I am sure that we will show in the rest of the tournament that we have a right to be here. We were just a bit nervous in this match.
"All of the associate teams participated in the ICC High Performance programme, and we had the World Cricket League tournament a few weeks ago in Kenya, and the standard was pretty high," said van Troost. "I am going to predict that one of the Associate teams will upset one of Test-playing nations, and when it happens, it will be fantastic and proof that we should be here, but I will be waiting to hear what people will say then."
Old March 7, 2007, 01:35 PM
Cricket Sage

NZ is Shaken.... but India will be Baken.
Old March 7, 2007, 02:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Shaken AND Stirred?
He should not be both.
Is this a printing mistake?

May be Stephen Fleming actually said, “Shaken, not stirred”
I think during the toss Bashar introduced himself as “Bashar, Habibul Bashar”.
And that’s how Fleming picked up those James bond terms.
Old March 8, 2007, 03:48 PM
Cricket Legend

i am not sure if jayardane will be in good mood if they lose to Bd. I still remember how he reacted when they lost that ODI to Bd last year. Bottom line is all of them gets "shaken up" when they lose to Bd and that is the most enjoyable thing.

"We just didn't play well. It gives us some headaches and I suppose you can say it's a wake-up call before the tournament starts." << nobody plays well when they lose, right Mr Fleming?