facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 11, 2005, 03:09 AM
Street Cricketer

Default Why do we need to justify our success?

When we beat Pakistan in the 1999 world cup there was the allegation that the match was fixed. I watched the tape a few times and there was nothing wrong in it as far as I could see. Most of the Pakistanis I know could not accept the defeat and jumped on the band wagon of match fixing allegation. This is total nonsense and it still bothers me when some people bring up this discussion.

On that day we simply outplayed Pakistan and that is the end of it. It is our deshi mentality to cast a shadow of doubt whenever possible and that is the easiest way out for some. I do not see the same people complaining when the best team in NBA looses to the worst team. Upsets do happen and such is sports. Leave it at that, accept it and move on.

When we recently beat India comprehensively in the ODI and crushed Zimbabwe in this test match some people as usual have suggested that our opponents were not at full strength. This is utter rubbish. I am sorry but that is not our problem. When a player represents his country, he better be ready to serve his country. Oh, I almost forgot, how long is Zimbabwe a test playing country?

When we play our under 19 players in order to build our team for the future and lose games against teams at full strength with much more experience, we are subjected to loosing our test status. I do not see anyone complaining that we are the youngest team in world cricket at the highest level and trying very hard to catch up.

We have a long way to go where we want to be and are aware of it. We know our weakness and also our strength. The little success we have had recently will give a lot of confidence and boost the self belief of our young players. Some of our current star players will soon be competing for their place in the national side in about two years and that will be a good thing. It will encourage millions to believe in themselves and spread the game of cricket in remote areas in BD through more sponsorship.

I congratulate all BD cricket fans worldwide for their support and pray for our team through thick and thin. BD cricket is in good hands and the future looks pretty decent. To the critics of BD cricket, please be advised, we do not owe you any explanation nor do we need to justify every time we win. Now go figure it.

Nazim Shirazi.

Old January 11, 2005, 03:21 AM
First Class Cricketer

Nazem Bhai---> &
For Wisden and other BD hater
Old January 11, 2005, 06:36 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Wisden Cricinfo is not BD hater.
Old January 11, 2005, 06:56 AM
ODI Cricketer

It is natural to feel negative when one loses. But why feel negative even in victory. I am unable to understand the grouse. There will always be some people who will find fault in any win. Why give weightage to the opinion of such people.

I have not come across any negative report of the kind in mainstream media about BD win that Nazim Shirazi is sore about. If mainstream media has nothing negative to say about it then why go about searching for negative comments from obscure sources and then wallow in self pity. It is a victory and one should enjoy it unconditionally.
Old January 11, 2005, 12:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Nazim, you have been hanging out with too many Pakistanis, get some new friends!!:P

Actually the soreness comes from the fact that beyond the cursory "congrats, Bangladesh" many cricket followers and pundits from around the world will put an asterisk next to this win, at least in the back of their minds. I don't think wisden is at all overtly biased agianst us as company policy, but if you look at some of the comments on BBC messageboard, etc they are disspointing. But cricketfan is also right and I share the sentiment - why bother with those comments, who has time to educate these people, the team's improving performances should set things straight.
Old January 11, 2005, 12:17 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Welcome back Nazim bhai, we miss the regular column at BanglaCricket from you. How about you resume writing here?
Old January 11, 2005, 12:23 PM
Banned

Justifying our success and earning one's respect are probably two different issues. To do the latter, we'll unfortunately need to have to beat a top 8 team in the first ODI of a ODI series when they come at "full strength."

Unfortunately, even while we earn respect it will not be without a lump at the back of our opponent teams' fan's throat.

Edited on, January 11, 2005, 5:25 PM GMT, by Maximillian.
Old January 11, 2005, 12:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

EXXXXXXXXACTLY!

Please post it on the front page.
Old January 11, 2005, 12:56 PM
Test Cricketer

We have always had this problem about being too "touchy" about our "honour". Any criticism or innuendo is taken too personally. That's why we seem to read these unseemly exchange of posts with some of our Indian friends in this site.

Some of us have to learn to be more tolerant. If they feel provoked, as some surely do, the best way to deal with provocation is to ignore it. The provocators will soon disappear.
Old January 11, 2005, 01:02 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

I think its beacuse we normally loose in big numbers but well said and inshallah we will make winning a habit and then no one will ask anything.... about how we won....
Old January 11, 2005, 02:16 PM
First Class Cricketer

i think people are slowly beginning to realise that Bangladesh are becoming a team to reckon with..the potential is evident now and the performances are justifying themselves..the critics need something to write...then write about the progress in the right direction..that means winning matches,.....and not because the opponents are weak or not.
Old January 11, 2005, 02:23 PM
Administrator

This has been posted as a front page article now.
Old January 11, 2005, 03:06 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Thanks zunaid bhai....
Old January 11, 2005, 03:49 PM
Cricket Sage

Why do we need to justify our success?

We don't need to.
We just need to relax and enjoy this historical event ( for BD cricket) as long as we can. !!!!!!!