facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Match Archive

Match Archive Relive the match-time passion (Read Only)

Old August 30, 2004, 02:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Here is report from the above link:

Ireland v Bangladesh

Bangladesh were steered to victory in their second ICC Champions Trophy warm-up game in Ireland by the man known as 'Pilot'.

Khaled Mashud won the acclaim of his countrymen with a maiden Test century against West Indies in St Lucia in June as the newest Test-playing nation came of age with a deserved draw.

Of less significance but still important to Bangladesh's morale as they prepare for the ICC in England was his rescue act at Limavady with his side on the verge of collapse at 116 for six against some spirited Irish bowling.

Nafis Iqbal, hero of the previous day with a century, was one of those who went cheaply as Ireland threatened to repeat their early summer victories over Surrey and the West Indies.

Wicketkeeper Mashud shared a stand of 79 with Mohammad Rafique to put his team on course for a final score of 231 all out, which ultimately proved beyond the Irish batsmen.

Mashud was undefeated on 51 at the close, while Rafique will be pleased with his defiant 42 before becoming Gordon Cooke's second victim.

Ireland will rue a series of dropped catches by wicketkeeper Jonathan Bushe, the crucial one coming with Rafique on 13.

A wicket then would have left Bangladesh on 144 for seven and staring defeat in the face.

Medium pacer Cooke had figures of five for 55 after mopping up the Bangladeshi tail and off-spinner Kyle McCallan weighed in with three for 33 to give the tourists a serious examination of their batting ahead of the ICC Trophy.

Accuracy, however, was not an Irish feature as they conceded 40 extras, 30 of them from wides or no-balls, in the blustery early conditions.

Cooke will be particularly pleased with his haul. He came out of retirement to join the Ireland squad for the two games with West Indies this summer but injured his ankle in the first match and has struggled to regain his place since then.

In reply, Ireland were in a promising position at 130 for four after 33 overs but were worn down by the Bangladesh attack and collapsed to 177 all out, with Jeremy Bray top-scoring on 46.

Pick of the Bangladeshi bowlers was Khaled Mahmud with four for 34, while Rafique's two for 30, coupled with his bright batting, earned him the man-of-the-match award.

It was Bangladesh's second win in two days on their Irish tour, though considerably more comfortable than the scrambled last-ball victory the previous day at Stormont.

Ireland coach Adrian Birrell said: "On both days we had great opportunities to make a mark, but catches were dropped at vital times and that cost us dearly.

"It's a harsh lesson, but we have to be sharper in the field. We didn't reach the standards we have achieved this summer.

"It has been a good season, with the wins over Surrey and the West Indies - it's a shame to go out on a losing note."

Old August 30, 2004, 03:00 PM
Test Cricketer

Hope Chinman bhi you are not going to behave like that.

its bad we come here for some fun .if you do like that.then why should we come here?

what ever you said i got mind ,i don.t know if you get mind ,next time i will never back here

soory about that

Edited on, August 30, 2004, 8:34 PM GMT, by rana.
Old August 30, 2004, 03:50 PM
Street Cricketer

Hi

I didn't realize how anxious you all were to get the result today. I put the scorecard on to help out just after the tea interval, when it became clear that due to the hacker, live scores wouldn't be possible.

I was covering the game for BBC Radio so couldn't give you further internet updates until after the conclusion of the game. The other report you got was dictated by me to a Press Association reporter.

I didn't appreciate the calls to my workplace, which is an American Chemical company, and my colleagues know or care nothing about cricket.

I have taken a few pictures for the website of the MOM, the Bangladesh team and the bowlers. I will post these on the Irish website in the next day or two. If you know what the e mail address of the guy who runs the Bangladesh website, I'll forward him a few pictures.

You should remember that the associate countries get paid a pittance for running their websites, unlike the Test countries. I am an unpaid volunteer who is holding down a full time job outside of cricket.

Back to the cricket - Very impressed with the Bangladesh fielding - very quick and they caught well. Mahmud and Rafique bowled superbly. I have a feeling that your batsmen will struggle in the UK conditions.

Barry Chambers
Editor CricketIreland
Old August 30, 2004, 03:55 PM
Retired BC Admin

Rana

I know you didn't mean any harm. But you got to understand that we should not give misleading information. Fans aside, many people from all around the world, players, media (cricinfo, Bangladeshi media), BCB officials etc visit us. They all respect and value all of our member's opinion.

In fact many news articles are built on our views and opinion. In many cases we provide first hand reports to our fellow countrymen.

As members we have tremendous power to express ourselves among many things through posting here to even larger community. It is never wise to misuse this power and mislead the visitors.

We clearly mentioned in the board rules about it. This is no joking matter. Think about it.
Old August 30, 2004, 04:12 PM
ODI Cricketer

I guess Rana has failed to communicate properly (apology if I am soliciting uncalled for). What he probably did was colloquially expressing his anticipation. And since his voice couldn't be heard there was a scope for other members to fail to sense that tone of anticipation. Some of the members succumbed to that and took it for an assertion. The reason I interfered is that, what Chinaman is saying is all valid, only that Rana may deserve a softer tone if he had no intention like that. But the lesson is learnt anyway: watching cricket over a messageboard is different than sharing a common tvroom. But, then, its a new culture, and say what: this way you learn... this way you learn...
Old August 30, 2004, 04:27 PM
Retired BC Admin

Yes, I'd have had a softer tone. But he gave wrong scores many a times before. I brought that to his attention but apparently he failed to appreciate that.

He is the first person today to provide us the big news with authentic source. We naturally put our trust on him. But moments later he went back to his old self to deceive us.

I hope nobody will take advantage of such anxious moments anymore to joke around.
Old August 30, 2004, 04:33 PM
Retired BC Admin

Dear BChambers

Thanks a lot for your kind comments. We are very sorry to bother you at your work place. We'd highly appreciate if you please forward the pictures to the following email.

We are eternally thankful to you for the live scores. And we are extremely sorry to hear about the hack.

Will you / your site be covering the matches against Scottland?

BTW, welcome to banglacricket and congratulations to Ireland for a remarkable performance against us.

Email: chinaman@banglacricket.com
Old August 30, 2004, 04:36 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by chinaman
Yes, I'd have had a softer tone. But he gave wrong scores many a times before. I brought that to his attention but apparently he failed to appreciate that.

He is the first person today to provide us the big news with authentic source. We naturally put our trust on him. But moments later he went back to his old self to deceive us.

I hope nobody will take advantage of such anxious moments anymore to joke around.
Hmm... its a Jekyll-Hyde case, I see.
Old August 30, 2004, 05:18 PM
Club Cricketer

Two matches against scotland now on wednesday and friday

are we playing to many trial matches? the team was tired out in the champions trophy after all the practice matches.

i guess it wont do any harm if we keep winning
Old August 30, 2004, 06:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

Quote:
Originally posted by BChambers
I didn't appreciate the calls to my workplace
Oops, now I feel a bit uncomfortable to make those two phone calls. I wouldn't have bothered to call if I knew it was a workplace and the receiver might not appreciate it. I was, like my other fellow members gradually got impatient not to have any latest updates of the ongoing match. Hope Mr. Chambers would consider it as a sudden instigation/inducement of an impatient fan's perspective. :embaressed:
Old August 30, 2004, 06:21 PM

Thank's God, and Rafiq, Mashud and Mahmud for a comfortable victory against Ireland!!!!!!!!
We desperately needed this win. Now we can hope.... perhaps a win in champions trophy too.
Once again, congratulation to all who cheers the team till the end.
And many many thanks to Irish fan, who gave us continue live update.
Old August 30, 2004, 06:50 PM
Street Cricketer

Hi

2 pics sent to chinaman - Team picture from today and of Mohammed Rafique receiving his MOM award.

I have some more from Belfast yesterday which I'll send you later.

I'm not sure what level of coverage CricketScotland will be providing.

Barry
Old August 30, 2004, 07:27 PM
Retired BC Admin

Thanks a lot, BChambers. Pic received. Will be posting here in a min.
Old August 30, 2004, 10:51 PM
First Class Cricketer

Good job BD.
Again Chacha is the fighter, Mashud is the saver and Rafiq is the winner (man of the match).
GO TIGERS GO.................
Old August 31, 2004, 12:21 AM
First Class Cricketer

By the way, I like B Chambers comments about our BD team. BD fielding is noticeable but BD batting is shaky. Right on the dot and our tail-enders are resilient.

BD batting needs to click in the top order, together. Then we can score 250+ runs & defend it as well.

All we need is contribution from all the top orders, thats all. Tail enders slog will add up to 250+
Old August 31, 2004, 03:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Any final scorecards???
Old August 31, 2004, 03:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Quote:
Originally posted by bourny3
Any final scorecards???
Scorecard here
Old August 31, 2004, 03:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Thanks for that. Manjural Islam Rana had quite a poor day didnt he. Hopefully he will pick his form up before the Champions trophy
Old August 31, 2004, 05:57 AM
First Class Cricketer

J Omar.......30+08=38
M Ashruful...8+22=20
N Iqbal......100+10=110
R Saleh......21+26=47
A Ahmed......00+15=15
M I Rana.....02+0=2
K Mashud.....04+51=55
M Rafique....42=42
K Mahmud.....00+10=10
T Baisya.....07+07=14
N Hossain....01+0=01

M I Rana :16 0 54 1
M Rafique :08 0 30 2
K Mahmud :17 1 75 5
N Hossain :16 1 68 0
T Baisya :15.3 0 75 4
R Saleh :3.4 0 28 2
M Rahman :2.2 0 10 0
Old August 31, 2004, 08:22 AM
Club Cricketer

For all those who were writing CHACHA off - 10- 1 - 34 - 4 . what a riposte from the veteran.

Edited on, August 31, 2004, 1:23 PM GMT, by TAIF.