facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 19, 2009, 04:07 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh
Default National Team players performing in DPL (stats)

We are off to the super league now. I think this is good time to see how our national team boys performed. With most of our bowlers injured I would only focus on Batting (our weak link).

I think with the recent 30% increase in salary they should put in the hard work in the domestic leagues so that they can duplicate those performance in the international stage.

These tables are mostly self explanatory. You guys can comment on their performance and future of our cricket. I was sad and made 'red' bad, 'green' good.
Ave RankingNameMatInnsNORunsHSAve10050Ct, St
7Shakib Al Hasan (Bim)55118551*46.2513
15Naeem Islam (Gazi)1010521036*422
20Mushfiqur Rahim (Par)1010327578 39.28210, 3
25Junaid Siddique (Sujo)9933983 37.6633
26Mahmudullah (DOHS)11101339101*37.6615
30Mehrab Hossain (DOHS)1111135496 35.438
31Imrul Kayes (Gazi)101034378 34.354
34Tamim Iqbal (Ab)111135698 32.3641
35Mohammad Ashraful (Gazi)10102258100*32.2512
46Mashrafe Mortaza (Ab)109220756*29.5715
66Raqibul Hasan (Moh)1010209102 20.912

(Total) RankingNameMatInnsNORunsHSAve10050Ct, St
11Tamim Iqbal (Ab)111135698 32.3641
12Mehrab Hossain (DOHS)1111135496 35.438
13Imrul Kayes (Gazi)101034378 34.354
14Junaid Siddique (Sujo)9933983 37.6633
15Mahmudullah (DOHS)11101339101*37.6615
31Mushfiqur Rahim (Par)1010327578 39.28210,3
33Mohammad Ashraful (Gazi)10102258100*32.2512
45Naeem Islam (Gazi)1010521036*422
46Raqibul Hasan (Moh)1010209102 20.912
48Mashrafe Mortaza (Ab)109220756*29.5715
60Shakib Al Hasan (Bim)55118551*46.2513

Last edited by Tigers_eye; March 19, 2009 at 04:20 PM..

Old March 19, 2009, 04:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

raqib did terrible but due to his past intl performances i still have faith in him that he will do better. tamim did ok but more is expected from tamim. mehrab hossain jr did fine considering this was a OD league. imrul and junaid also did good. mushfiq was good with the gloves+bad as was mithun ali though he isnt intl yet. room for some improvement for ash and mash was splendid ball plus bat.
Old March 19, 2009, 04:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: MASHRAFE MORTAZA

i've got nothin left to say... nycpro96 bro... u said it for me...
Old March 19, 2009, 04:29 PM
Cricket Savant

This DPL wasn't hampered by intl series. All players played against the local boys. They should have played above and shoulder than the local boys since they are the only ones who have the INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCE. Yet they were outplayed by a distance:

Total RankingNameMatInnsNORunsHSAve10050Ct, St
1Shahbaz Butt (CCS)11112484156*53.77129,3
2Mithun Ali (Gazi)1111464169 42.18118,2
3Amit Majumder (Vic)101043710443.7132
4Shamsur Rahman (Moh)10101398127 44.22123
5Rony Talukder (Ab)1111390116 35.45126
6Uttam Sarkar (CCS)111038890 38.834
7Imran Ahmed (Ab)991382109 47.75121
8Shuvagoto Hom (CCS)1110237876*47.2545
9Jahurul Islam (Bim)1111137778 37.737
10Arman Hossain (Vic)10101363100*40.33118,6
Old March 19, 2009, 04:37 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: TIK47

To be perfectly blunt compared to other test playing countries and how their players perform on the domestic leagues our boys performed poorly for most parts in terms of batting.
Shakib ave is healthy however he did not play that many matches due to injury. Imrul did good as he hit 5 fifties and total runs above 300+. Similar witth tamin. Even though their ave are mediocre we have to consider other players (such as mushy and naeem) who's ave is better bcoz of notouts. We should not be fooled by ave runs, we should look at how many 50s or 100s they have scored and their total runs. A good player will score a fifty or a hundred infrequently but a excellent player will score them more frequently and espicially when their team needs it the most. a poor player will get contempt with frequent low scores. even though naeem's got an ave of 42 he has scored only 210 runs and no score above 50. i Know he bats low down the order but i am not saying he is a bad player. just trying to show how stats can be so distorted.

My point is lets not just judge players based on these stats, lets look at how they performed for their team and if they are an asset for their team and not a liability.
Old March 19, 2009, 04:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikfreak
i've got nothin left to say... nycpro96 bro... u said it for me...
thnx
Old March 19, 2009, 06:22 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

this is very strange. to be honest. it keeps happening, yet it really makes no sense.

it can't just be that ALL the national teamers don't try once their spot is cemented, hence the poor averages. the sample size is too large for that to be a reasonable explanation. on the other hand, if the domestic guys were so great, the problem would be solved by having the top 7 domestic run getters be the new national team. that wouldn't work either.

so its really a unique and interesting problem. its a paradox. our best batsman are actually crappier than our domestic ones, and yet the domestics are clearly not any better. its pretty much the paradox of all paradoxes.

makes no damn sense.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old March 19, 2009, 06:26 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
this is very strange. to be honest. it keeps happening, yet it really makes no sense.

it can't just be that ALL the national teamers don't try once their spot is cemented, hence the poor averages. the sample size is too large for that to be a reasonable explanation. on the other hand, if the domestic guys were so great, the problem would be solved by having the top 7 domestic run getters be the new national team. that wouldn't work either.

so its really a unique and interesting problem. its a paradox. our best batsman are actually crappier than our domestic ones, and yet the domestics are clearly not any better. its pretty much the paradox of all paradoxes.

makes no damn sense.
LOL but so true
Old March 19, 2009, 06:37 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tamim IK/Nasir Hossain

Quote:

makes no damn sense.
exactly wat i was thinking.. lol
Old March 19, 2009, 06:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

In a way the stats are not surprising... our batsman are always scoring around 20s,, and the team average is below 200. So, with these national players what you see is what you get. Offcourse, the players who performed better plays with their heart and plays with a motivation to be in the playing XI. That is not the case for national players. To them, the local league is just net practice because they are "bigger" than the local folks. Time to time, Nannu, Akram, Bulbul and all senior players mentioned this as a fact,," Current national players dont take the league seriously". And why should they? If the selectors already declares that there will be no changes in the national team and that there arent any other better players out there.... what kind of signal does it send? You have a shameless failed captain who is clinging to his position despite being practically stripped from any captaincy leadership authority.. and is he leading by example? Did he really change his game? I dont know what has really changed in our batting in the last one or two years.. the stats are the same compared to last few years.

To think Bangladesh team will improve with the same mindset of people what brought us where we are today wont work. Graeme Smith, Pointing even Utseya mentions that Bangladesh has not made that much of progress than what they have seen few years back. We have a worthless selection policy, dumbo manager and a pathetic board that thinks money will solve the infrastructure problem,,, it wont,, proper planning and a passion for cricket will.

One Salahuddin can change the game in one second. The Tutul, Bobby, Nizam, Siraji are just office-bearers that really cant bring a change to BD cricket. And hence, we will be where we were 3 years back,, once in a while win an ODI or two but forget Test Cricket

Last edited by Dhakablues; March 19, 2009 at 06:53 PM..
Old March 19, 2009, 09:44 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
.... on the other hand, if the domestic guys were so great, the problem would be solved by having the top 7 domestic run getters be the new national team. that wouldn't work either.

makes no damn sense.
1) Why wouldn't it work? Who said these domestics are clearly not better? How can you be so sure? There is no paradox only one form of mindset. This is not the Tushars, Aloks, Rajins. This is totally new brand in the form of Mithun, Rony, and others who are more polished, better prepared, more hungry.

2) If you can only accept the 1) then only it will make sense.

3) Allow these boys and Nazmuls to play the T20 Worldcup. See how they measure against the Collingwoods, Sarwans? Let them and us fans have some fun for a change. How many BD national players scored 169 in ODs. Even against Bhutan/Bermuda or something?
Old March 19, 2009, 10:00 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibangali
My point is lets not just judge players based on these stats, lets look at how they performed for their team and if they are an asset for their team and not a liability.
Fair enough. Can we compare them against or local boys with the stats? They did play in against the same opponents, in the same pitches.

1) Raqibul's off-form is puzzling. He was just getting in to form right before DPL. Is he injured or something? With his limited exposure in the intl scene I am not calling for his head. However, the team management must make sure he is in form. 2nd down is one of the most important position in our batting order.

2) Ash's "one innings wonder in 10 innings" bat continues. What do you expect from the national team captain in International matches? Some responsible batting when he can't do that in the local leagues? First down batsman this inconsistant can't hold on to his position even for a local team. By the way, the way he got outs are as idiotic as one can imagine.
Old March 19, 2009, 11:52 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
1) Why wouldn't it work? Who said these domestics are clearly not better? How can you be so sure? There is no paradox only one form of mindset. This is not the Tushars, Aloks, Rajins. This is totally new brand in the form of Mithun, Rony, and others who are more polished, better prepared, more hungry.

2) If you can only accept the 1) then only it will make sense.

3) Allow these boys and Nazmuls to play the T20 Worldcup. See how they measure against the Collingwoods, Sarwans? Let them and us fans have some fun for a change. How many BD national players scored 169 in ODs. Even against Bhutan/Bermuda or something?
rokon and opee were supposed to be a new breed. then came ash and alok.

after that we had tushar. then nafees khan and aftab. then SN and tamim.

now we have raqib and rahim.

tomorrow its mithun and rony.

rinse and repeat as necessary

btw, just letting out some anxst here...i only half believe my pessimistic posts. perhaps eventually i'll evolve into ATMR...

#OneTeam1Dream
Old March 20, 2009, 12:52 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

at this point i'd pick shamsur rahman ahead of ash but that will never happen for many reasons. btw a couple of good domestic innings doesn't mean they are too good for domestic cricket or that they can turn it on whenever they want, but if that is the case of the internationals then they should be playing in a tougher domestic circuit instead of wasting time basically doing nothing for their career by playing in BD domestic cricket. the players should want to better themselves and surely they're smart enough to realise that if the BD domestic system isn't tough enough for them that they should go off and find a tougher domestic system.
Old March 20, 2009, 01:06 AM
Cricket Legend

I am actually impressed with imrul and Tamim. Almost every second innings they had a fifty. The problem is that they did not make it big by scoring century. But at least when they got start they make it count . Being opener there average was not inflated by not out. On the other hand though Sakib has a good average if you consider his highest score and number of not out and average it is disappointing. It seems that he got start in every match but failed to materilize it to any. I am disappointed with Raqib and Riyad. If you take out their highest score there is nothing left. I refuse to comment on the fool. Nayeem and Mushy is curious case as they come so low down the order there is every chance that they would be not out. Big Z and Mehrab is nothing extraordinary but at the same time not so much disappointing
Mijan vai, would it possible for you to provide the standard deviation. As this could somehow adjust the average inflation due to not out and a single big innings due to small sample size.
Old March 20, 2009, 01:44 AM
Cricket Sage

These new kids may struggle when given a chance. But then again they may not like newer players of recent time: Shakib, Ryiad, Naeem, Rubel, etc.

I never thought Tamim will stick too long when he first came. Actually he kind of surprised me a bit and sticking on quite well. Plus I don't think Aftab and Sn was a complete flop, their growth was slightly better than our village Idiot before they were banned.

How ever one thing is for sure: they are not your "Tushar" or "Alok" or "NI". They are better prepared than the players of the past who was forced to join with little quality FC game experience. These players are playing against our national players and out performing then, where as in the past those young players were themsleves the national players.

I am sick and tired of seeing this village Idiot geting free ride in the name of we don't have any players to replace him. Thats purely bs.
Old March 20, 2009, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazal

i am sick and tired of seeing this village idiot geting free ride in the name of we don't have any players to replace him. Thats purely bs.
সুপ্রিয় মামুজান,
মাইনকা চিপায় পরছেন...কি আর করবেন?!
যেই গ্রাইম্মা ভোদাইটারে বাদ দিবে...পরদিনই দেখবেন সেঞ্চুরী মারছে
- ডি পি এল -এ !!

তয়, শ্রীলঙ্কারে পাইলে কাছে
হয়ে যায় সে পাক্কা শহুরে,
মোনালিসা তখন রয় তক্কে তক্কে
রাজপুত্র এই আসল বলে...
Old March 20, 2009, 03:04 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

If the standard of our domestic league is too poor as most of the people think. It is good enough a reason for the national players to not perform well. So there must be some good reason why the National team players aren't performing well.

The problem with the better performers (Less Natinal Team) is that the moment they join the national team, they will forget to perform in the domestic league either.

We might have problems like:
1. The national team teaches a different approach to batting which could be suitable for the international matches but that perspective isn't good for the domestic league.
2. Players are dictated to play in a certain way in the national team, without making them convinced about the reason why they should do that, if they understood the reason, they would be able to adapt to different situations.
3. Poor pitches, that the international players aren't used to get by default.
4. Domestic bowling is too poor for the higher skilled/international players to adapt to.
5. Umpiring might be an issue for the international players as they are more in focus, so the the umpires are too rigid on them.
6. International players don't take the domestic league much seriously and they try to experiment to prepare for the international matches.

Finally can I request some people to stop blind Ash bashing and also concentrate on the other national team players who haven't been performing even near to Ash's level? Too much Ash bashing, who has performed better than half of the team, might make the bashers look foolish.

Yes it would be nice to see Ash doing even better than what he did.

Last edited by BANFAN; March 20, 2009 at 03:22 AM..
Old March 20, 2009, 04:15 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Fair enough. Can we compare them against or local boys with the stats? They did play in against the same opponents, in the same pitches.

1) Raqibul's off-form is puzzling. He was just getting in to form right before DPL. Is he injured or something? With his limited exposure in the intl scene I am not calling for his head. However, the team management must make sure he is in form. 2nd down is one of the most important position in our batting order.

2) Ash's "one innings wonder in 10 innings" bat continues. What do you expect from the national team captain in International matches? Some responsible batting when he can't do that in the local leagues? First down batsman this inconsistant can't hold on to his position even for a local team. By the way, the way he got outs are as idiotic as one can imagine.
I am not disagreeing with you that the local boys did not play good. It is actually a good sign to see more domestic players with hunger and performance. These players should not be ignored nor should we over hype them. Problem with our selectors is that they will bring a player into the national team and then drop them after a few games of poor performance. Most of our domestic players dont have experience of playing high level cricket in our domestic league so they cant handle intl level, and the pressure is enormous compared to domestic matches. We need to first bring a player in to the team if we are sure he will add value to the team. Then given him some time (e.g at least 10-15 matches) before we assess whether he is capable or not.

I agree that ash is an iressponsible captain and he does not show any signs of improving this. But as a player i think we still need him since he is a player who can score centuries (international not domestic) even if this is infrequent and we dont have much players in this class. He and Mash are 2 players who are highly experienced for our team and they have played numerous times against top oppositions. We should not drop them indefinetly until we have capable replacements who have built up international experience (50+ matches).
Old March 20, 2009, 04:33 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Finally can I request some people to stop blind Ash bashing and also concentrate on the other national team players who haven't been performing even near to Ash's level? Too much Ash bashing, who has performed better than half of the team, might make the bashers look foolish.

Yes it would be nice to see Ash doing even better than what he did.
Agree lets stop this foolishness of bashing players. Ash bashing has become like a sport. Cut the guy some slack, i am tired of everyone talking about this guy all the time. We are making his ego even bigger coz we keep talking about him and he must think he is so popular.
Old March 20, 2009, 08:31 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell, aftab ahmed

Tiger's Eye makes some good points. There are a few players who deserve a chance in the national team based on these recent performances. mithun Ali is one, rony talukdar is another. We should try these guys out in the World T20...
Old March 20, 2009, 08:54 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibangali
Agree lets stop this foolishness of bashing players. Ash bashing has become like a sport. Cut the guy some slack, i am tired of everyone talking about this guy all the time. We are making his ego even bigger coz we keep talking about him and he must think he is so popular.
How can we cut the guy a slack? He is batting at 1st down. Seems like for those who are trying give Ash free reign are more for Ash than the team. Are you guys blind or something? Don't you see he is not improving from that 1innings wonder 10 innings failure? From 1st down we need more consistency. Why can't you get past supporting an individual player than the team? I will take anyone who can score 3/4 fifties in 10 innings anyday than that 1 century (eid day). If you want him so much let him bat where he deserves 8-11. As for captaincy, Mash can handle that. He is leading by example.
Old March 20, 2009, 09:17 AM
Cricket Sage

is it possible also to see the strike rates...?

#OneTeam1Dream
Old March 20, 2009, 10:05 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell, aftab ahmed

Shahbuz butt is pakistani, he's not qaulified for BD so we there's no need to get too excited about his performances...
Old March 20, 2009, 10:10 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Finally can I request some people to stop blind Ash bashing and also concentrate on the other national team players who haven't been performing even near to Ash's level? Too much Ash bashing, who has performed better than half of the team, might make the bashers look foolish...
Dear BANFAN,
I would take this is directed to me. Here is the rebuttal. We may be foolish but not blind. And if by any chance we are truly blind, then you guys are partisan. Those who are supporting Ash's poor performance as something that can keep his place intact. It is as if parampara to have the least productive player as our captain and we can not get out of this cycle. We still field one man short every time (figuratively speaking).
GaziBimanAbaCCSPegaPartexVicDOHSCitySurjo TBKSPMoha
Imrul:51141786467520142
Mithun:19264591694219754297
Ash:1836*21183100*423116
Result:LWLWWWWWLLL

All three players had 3 single digit scores. Ash only had 1 score over 50, Mithun had 2, Imrul had 5. Imrul's contribution towards win is far more than Ash's.

Let us see how other players did:
CCSGaziPegaPartexVicDOHSCitySurjoBKSPMohaBiman
Tamim986165302599232466
Rony 1163059939119520425
Imran271010970343353388*
Result:WLWWWWWWWWW

Didn't Tamim contribute more than Ash? Every 3 innings he scored a fifty. Not 1-10 like Ash. How you want me to bash/focus on Tamim and not Ash?

CitySurjoBKSPMohaBimanAbaGaziPegaPartexVicCCS
Mehrab Jr.6850962416175427713
Riyad35140412349182731101*
Result:WWWWLLLLLWL
Mehrab Jr. 3 wins just by batting. He finished of Surjo Torun and City with bowling. Riyad had only one single digit score. That should be enough. Both averaged more than Ash. Thank you. How you want me to bash/focus on Jr. and Riyad and not Ash?

Mushi2885431310*71*7813*6
Shakib444151*1732
Juanid23359338355165728

Even Mushi scored, averaged more than Ash with two crucial knock which gave them 2 wins. You want to Bash Shakib for one notout innings? Bro, who is blind? Juniad's numbers says it all. Go ahead compare with Ash. How you want me to bash/focus on Mushi, Shakib???, Junaid and not Ash?

The only person who did worse than Ash was Raqibul. And I did concentrate on him. None, I repeat non of the national players or the rising performers of DPL are one hit wonder like Ash. He is hogging that important 1st down and punishing the team. I rightfully focused on the non-performer.

Eye-exam needs to done by many BC members I suppose.