facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 12, 2011, 09:11 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Ian, we bengalis are a tough bunch to deal with....just keep doing your good work!

#OneTeam1Dream

Old March 12, 2011, 09:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

Of course England bowled exceptionally well during 30-40 overs. And when you are playing top sides often enough, you will have to deal with these tremendous spells, overcome them and win games. As I said earlier, I have no problems with Mushy/Raqib/Nayeem getting out to those deliveries, what I disliked was how Mushfique was unable to find the gap and take a few singles.

But as others said, this is part of the game. Everything won't be perfect in every game. Our batters did play sensibly in general and was a huge jump from the previous games. No one here is trying to belittle the win, or the way we played. But there will always be something wrong in our play, otherwise how are we going to improve in the the next game?
Old March 12, 2011, 10:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Baz

Good for Bangladesh they won, full credit to them, but I still can't agree with you that we didnt do anything wrong in batting, ofcorse the balls were world-class but our batsmen should be able enough to keep such balls out, how does Tendulkar/Hussey do it? their defense was so weak, you can't say the balls were world-class so theres nothing we can do about it, they will face such swing often in international cricket, they must learn how to play instead of saying such things
Old March 12, 2011, 10:07 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Jharu shot,I mean sweep shot used to be a strength for SAkib but now a days it's a shot that he shld avoid cause he is getting out playing this shot.
Old March 12, 2011, 10:11 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
We saw the match, too. Fans will always have their 'shout'.
Seeing the match is one thing.. understanding what you are seeing is something else.

So let me be crystal clear about yesterday's batting performance.

I want to remind you that it came off the back of 58 all out. The nation (you guys) rightly climbed in to the team for having no fight, no backbone, no ability to occupy the crease having been all out in 18 overs. The players took that and swallowed it because they had to. They had no choice but to. Confidence was at ROCK BOTTOM.

Yesterday's batting 'recovery' was remarkable and showed guts. The innings was carefully constructed. Imrul was circumspect. No risky shots at all. In fact none of the batsmen threw their bat. And three of our batters were 'got out' by tremendous bowling in a spell of excellent control, on a pitch that was really hard to score from if you bowled straight.

Yes, if a player is full of runs and confidence, he can knock the ball around for a few more singles - but Trott wasn't able to when he batted and neither was Bell. It was only Morgan who looked like he was capable from the English side, and these players are top-ranked players.

I really do feel that blaming the odd BD batter for facing 18 dot balls and not scoring off them completely misjudges the circumstances in which the innings was built. At no stage during that time, did the rate ever get close to a run a ball. It only got close right at the end. On that basis, and on the background to this match, I really do not think your criticism is justified. That is all.

Yes, we all look for things we can do better. Scoring a few more singles is always welcomed - even in the middle of a tough spell of controlled, accurate bowling with the field up.

If all we are focusing on is a handful of missed singles then contrast this to the West Indies game. The nation wouldn't have allowed another batting display like that! I would say we recovered pretty well wouldn't you?

That's what I saw... not sure what you were looking at.

Last edited by Ian Pont; March 12, 2011 at 10:56 AM..
Old March 12, 2011, 10:21 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Hi coach,

Wish you and the team all the best on Monday.

Thanks,

MoC
Old March 12, 2011, 10:21 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Very good post Ian.
Old March 12, 2011, 10:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Liton Das

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Ian, we bengalis are a tough bunch to deal with....just keep doing your good work!
Actually, I dont think people are being tough here at all... And I'm one of the optimists in this forum.

We can't see all of our batsmen averaging well under 30 (save for Tamim) in this tournament and not raise an alarm. The batsmen are NOT doing well. That cannot be argued.

al Furqaan, this board has been nothing but hospitable to Ian, and I don't think its fair to call them a tough bunch because a few (note the underline) have raised objections - In a very nonconfrontational manner manner might I add.
Old March 12, 2011, 10:31 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad
al Furqaan, this board has been nothing but hospitable to Ian, and I don't think its fair to call them a tough bunch because a few (note the underline) have raised objections - In a very nonconfrontational manner manner might I add.
We are supposed to be hospitable to nice members, specially when they are foreigners. What's wrong with it?
Old March 12, 2011, 10:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
We are supposed to be hospitable to nice members, specially when they are foreigners. What's wrong with it?
Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Thats the way it should be. Care to clarify your point?
Old March 12, 2011, 10:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Baz

Coach please play Shahriar Nafees next game! please! even if its just as a substitute fielder! I'll do anything just to see him play once...anything
Old March 12, 2011, 10:45 AM
ODI Cricketer

Thanks for your analysis. I can see your looking at the big picture and from the 58 all out, this is nothing short of a miracle. Yes there are things we need to work on but we should be pleased with the progress. We know our players can perform, we just need them to perform consistantly.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old March 12, 2011, 10:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Some of the fans seem as disgusting as Bangladesh's 58 all out innings!
Old March 12, 2011, 11:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abirz
Coach please play Shahriar Nafees next game! please! even if its just as a substitute fielder! I'll do anything just to see him play once...anything
Old March 12, 2011, 11:09 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Have to agree with Ian(s)!

Shehzad and Bresnan both were on top of their game in that 30 - 40 over period. Our top-order batsmen were under tremendous pressure after the performance in the previous game. Riyad was coming back into the side replacing Ash and was under that added bit of pressure to come good. The pitch was not an easy one to score on if you bowled in the right areas as our own bowlers had shown earlier and as Shehzad and Bresnan showed later. Add to that the pressure of playing in essentially a 'knockout' game. Shafiul was just outstanding with the bat - and it came off! The team and the fans owe him BIG time! Of course our bowling and fielding was generally of a high calibre and to restrict England to 225 was excellent.

Of course as it has been acknowledged the run-outs were unnecessary. Shakib himself said that he shouldn't have played that shot at that stage in the game. Perhaps even Tamim could have played that Bresnan delivery differently. So of course there is room for improvement.

For one, we should try and have a winning plan against the Dutch that also improves our NRR (get the calculators out!) and gives us the best chance of making the QF and then go on to win the Cup.
Old March 12, 2011, 11:11 AM
Banned

@ Ian

Congrats to you and the Team. Almost had a heart attack but we pulled through.
Old March 12, 2011, 11:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

Nice analysis, Ian.
Old March 12, 2011, 11:34 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib,Tamim, Mashrafe

Thank You Mr. Ian for your nice analysis.

Boys didn't played reckless shot, its true. they collapsed because they failed to identify some awesome deliveries from english bowlers.

Now fans always criticize, and our players should take it on a positive note to improve them. I wanna criticize too. 2 runout is very normal thing, it can happen. But Zunaid and Imrul both ran out because of same poor judgement of fielders location and they didn't dive at the end!!!....I think fielding Coach should work on that field.

shakib got out playing sweep. he several times gets out by playing like this. I think coach should help him by teaching him more proper techniques to sweep.

Bowlers really bowled well...But we expected riverswing or inswing yorker for both of pace bowlers. But really bowlers did their job.

And Thank you Mr. Ian again. We appreciate your and other coaches hard work with our boys.
Now you are also in Tiger Team.
Old March 12, 2011, 11:41 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad
Actually, I dont think people are being tough here at all... And I'm one of the optimists in this forum.

We can't see all of our batsmen averaging well under 30 (save for Tamim) in this tournament and not raise an alarm. The batsmen are NOT doing well. That cannot be argued.

Farhad... I also don't think anyone is being tough. I am just a little disappointed with the grasp of the nuances of the game at times, that lead to polarised opinions that just are not valid such as "this player is bhua" or "that player is not good enough".

Having said that I agree with you about batting averages (and to correct you it is Tamim, Rocky, Shahriar and Shakib averaging plus 30).

In my personal view only an average above 40 puts you in the 'international class' on a regular basis that a top 4 batter would be expected. High 30s are OK, and low 40s -45s are really good. Approaching 50 is a seriously good player.

BD is an emerging nation and still ranked bottom of the ODi Test Team pile. If we had 4 or 5 batsmen averaging 40 plus we simply wouldn't be 9th in the world but far higher. So our results reflects our status and our status reflects our results. Higher scoring average batsmen gives you more runs to defend and thus more wins. And this of course takes you higher up the table.
Old March 12, 2011, 11:50 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Gotta agree with Coach here. We played to the situation yesterday all the way up to the Imrul dismissal. Then, came the superb deliveries, and there in nothing you can do about it. But, the most important thing that happened was the way Riyad-Shafiul assessed the situation and went about their way. The RR was never an issue and I was happy that they identified that correctly. Once Shafi took it to Swann on that over, the pressure was squarely back on England again. Sure, Anderson helped, but in previous years we would have perished even when the asking rate wasn't a factor. We won and that's what its all about. The PP wasn't an issue either. RR was always good, and during the last partnership, England had their fielders up anyway. So, we had an extended PP.

However, one thing is pretty clear to me, and that is our batting limitations. We have to bowl/field out of our skins every game to keep the opponents total within manageable target. If we can do that, I think we are always within a chance. In that sense, batting second is probably more preferable, since we would know the target at hand. Bowling in our conditions are our strength, and anything below 250 is manageable target. We get a good start, one decent partnership in the middle, and we should be able to pull it through with everybody else chipping in. As long as the batting remains a two man show ( Tamim_Sakib ), we will have a hard time chasing anything above 260, and 300 is probably still out of reach. Batting first and putting a big score is still tricky for us with the players that we have right now. Then, you have to take advantage of batting PP, good starts, big partnerships- all the factors that has to go in to construct a big innings. I think we are far away from all that still.

Bowl first. Bowl and field with a purpose. Restrict the opposition below 240. Put the pressure on them. Take the asking rate out of equation and we will win more than our share. That's where our one day team stands as of now. The day, when at least one of our top five on a consistent basis can score a ton every game ( or two big fifties ) will be the day we can think of winning from any situation.
Old March 12, 2011, 12:03 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mashrafe,Shak,Aftab,Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
For those of you not privileged to be at the ground or even be in line with the wickets, I wanted to cover off some myths about the BD batting yesterday (only).

1. We did not collapse due to stupid shots. Mushy, Roq and Naeem got world-class deliveries that undid them. Nothing they could have done about any of them - truly super deliveries.

Dear Coach,

Can we see our quick bowlers Shafiul and Rubel can do those deliveries (pitching the ball in middle & leg and taking the off stumps out with back of a length) like Shahzad did against Mushy, Roquibul and Nayeem ?

I think you can give the tips to Shafiul and Rublel how to give those sort of deliveries and hopefully they will learn it quickly by practice.
Old March 12, 2011, 12:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Farhad... I also don't think anyone is being tough. I am just a little disappointed with the grasp of the nuances of the game at times, that lead to polarised opinions that just are not valid such as "this player is bhua" or "that player is not good enough".

Having said that I agree with you about batting averages (and to correct you it is Tamim, Rocky, Shahriar and Shakib averaging plus 30).
Hi Ian,

I was talking about this tournament specifically. I wouldn't bring up career averages as I know it doesn't indicate where the players are at right now. Here are the Batting stats for our players in the tournament so far:

Code:
Overall figures
Tamim Iqbal 4 4 0 152 70 38.00 158 96.20 0 1 1 15 1 investigate this query
Imrul Kayes 4 4 0 111 60 27.75 149 74.49 0 1 0 14 0 investigate this query
Shakib Al Hasan 4 4 0 111 55 27.75 144 77.08 0 1 0 10 0 investigate this query
Mahmudullah 2 2 1 27 21* 27.00 48 56.25 0 0 0 2 0 investigate this query
Raqibul Hasan 4 4 1 70 38 23.33 116 60.34 0 0 1 1 1 investigate this query
Junaid Siddique 4 4 0 77 37 19.25 99 77.77 0 0 0 7 1 investigate this query
Mushfiqur Rahim 4 4 0 67 36 16.75 120 55.83 0 0 1 5 0 investigate this query
Shafiul Islam 4 4 1 26 24* 8.66 48 54.16 0 0 2 4 1 investigate this query
Naeem Islam 4 4 0 32 29 8.00 55 58.18 0 0 1 3 0 investigate this query
Mohammad Ashraful 2 2 0 12 11 6.00 27 44.44 0 0 0 2 0 investigate this query
Abdur Razzak 4 4 1 15 11 5.00 32 46.87 0 0 0 0 0 investigate this query
Rubel Hossain 4 3 2 3 2* 3.00 10 30.00 0 0 1 0 0 investigate this query
The best you can say about it is that it isnt a large sample size. I know the players are better than that, but I use it to show why some fans might be frustrated...
Old March 12, 2011, 12:14 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mashrafe,Shak,Aftab,Tamim

Quote:
For those of you not privileged to be at the ground or even be in line with the wickets, I wanted to cover off some myths about the BD batting yesterday (only).

Instead we saw REAL GUTS from Ryad to come in under pressure of a recall and bat with such authority and calmness. And of course the totally unexpected amazing knock by Shafiul, who is fast becoming one of our most reliable performers in the team.

Hi Coach,

Riyad is tall and strong young man. He played well against England according to match situation but why he is not really playing the lofted shots he could play by standing the ground and lofted over the bowlers head. Like Shafiul hit one ball very hard back pass the bowler Anderson and I would like to see those kind of shots from Riyad as well.

Would you think Junaid should come to play at number 5 or 6 ? Can we see Shahriar Nafees in number 3 position in the next game ?
Old March 12, 2011, 12:37 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Post number 51 by Farhad. Imrul and Shakib both stuck on Nelson. That is spooky. Everyone please stand one feet next time they come out to bat.
Old March 12, 2011, 12:48 PM
Club Cricketer