facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old February 16, 2012, 11:19 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar
Default Cinema Halls are shutting down in BD?

Cinema Halls are shutting down in BD? Is it because of lack of good Bangla films or an invasion of Hindi movies?

I can remember the 80's when Hindi and English movies were so available in the market and there were not so many good or quality Bangla movies. But I did not hear any cinema halls were shutting down.

How can we resurrect this situation? More quality Bangla movies? Or less Hindi and English movies? Or government grants for their survival. Or something else that I am missing here.

Please give your thoughts. It is a grave concern for our movie industry and a threat to our culture.

Old February 16, 2012, 11:21 PM
Cricket Savant

Umm...no they are not.
Old February 16, 2012, 11:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
Umm...no they are not.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15178289

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1477936

http://x11.cgpublisher.com/proposals/130/index_html
Old February 16, 2012, 11:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

I think Zeeshan meant that closing of movie theatres is not a threat to our culture if my interpretation is correct. I personally agree.
Old February 16, 2012, 11:43 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by layperson
I think Zeeshan meant that closing of movie theatres is not a threat to our culture if my interpretation is correct. I personally agree.
Well, I wasn't aware of the BBC link. And LOL@ giving a link to a random forum in stark contrast. LOL.

TBH, I was thinking of Bashundhara and other new cinemal halls. Personally, if you you go to Rajmoni or Balaka or whatever, then something MUST be wrong with you. WTF man. Why you would go there in the first place... Amake ek hajar dollar dileo oi nongra jaygay vutki vutki ovinetri der dekte jabo na.

Cinema hall shutting down then is a blessing.

But I think what fagumama wanted to highlight was the loss of the cultural aspects. Well art is dead. People suckling from b-wood moneyfest is trying to get rich quick and fast. I mean who wants to c-r-e-a-t-e something on the same standards as Pather Pachali nowadays.

Also orginality is something BD lacks in general. I blame religion for forbidding out of the box thinking. Creativity!=lunacy. It can be tastefully done. Or else we get Banglar King Kong and wot not.

My hope is Fagumama can write a genius script and sell it for a movie to save our impending cinematic apocalypto. Right fagumama?
Old February 17, 2012, 12:00 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Balaka in the upper VIP section is actually quite decent these days. I caught a movie around 18 months ago with some long lost friends as a joke, tickets were tk.150, and I was pleasantly surprised.

-Clean aisles
-Clean seats
-no body fluids to be found anywhere
-no stench of sweat
-no groping or making out(not saying I am would have been that upset if some hot girl had taken advantage of me)

concession stand had popcorn, fizzy stuff, and candy(local & imported)

Can't remember the name of the movie or the plot though - lead was Sakib khan I think.
Old February 17, 2012, 12:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Well, I wasn't aware of the BBC link. And LOL@ giving a link to a random forum in stark contrast. LOL.

TBH, I was thinking of Bashundhara and other new cinemal halls. Personally, if you you go to Rajmoni or Balaka or whatever, then something MUST be wrong with you. WTF man. Why you would go there in the first place... Amake ek hajar dollar dileo oi nongra jaygay vutki vutki ovinetri der dekte jabo na.

But I think what fagumama wanted to highlight was the loss of the cultural aspects. Well art is dead. People suckling from b-wood moneyfest is trying to get rich quick and fast. I mean who wants to c-r-e-a-t-e something on the same standards as Pather Pachali nowadays.

Also orginality is something BD lacks in general. I blame religion for forbidding out of the box thinking. Creativity!=lunacy. It can be tastefully done. Or else we get Banglar King Kong and wot not.

My hope is Fagumama can write a genius script and sell it for a movie to save our impending cinematic apocalypto. Right fagumama?
hmmm...I am thinking something else.
Old February 17, 2012, 12:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6_Turbo
Balaka in the upper VIP section is actually quite decent these days. I caught a movie around 18 months ago with some long lost friends as a joke, tickets were tk.150, and I was pleasantly surprised.

-Clean aisles
-Clean seats
-no body fluids to be found anywhere
-no stench of sweat
-no groping or making out(not saying I am would have been that upset if some hot girl had taken advantage of me)

concession stand had popcorn, fizzy stuff, and candy(local & imported)

Can't remember the name of the movie or the plot though - lead was Sakib khan I think.
Yes, few years back I met one gentleman from Andhra Pradesh of India in one cinema hall on Motijheel road - I forgot the name. He said, BD cinema halls are much better than the most of those in India.

Personally, few years after, I went to a cinema hall in Boroubazar in Kolkata and found out what he said was very true.
Old February 17, 2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FagunerAgun
Yes, few years back I met one gentleman from Andhra Pradesh of India in one cinema hall on Motijheel road - I forgot the name. He said, BD cinema halls are much better than the most of those in India.

Personally, few years after, I went to a cinema hall in Boroubazar in Kolkata and found out what he said was very true.
So, are you concern on Kolkata[Indian] cinema hall or Bangladeshi cinema hall? I guess both case has cent persent solution!

India - Ban cricket, cinema hall will become houseful.
Bangladesh - Ban TV, there will be month long queue in front of every cinema hall.

M2C.
Old February 17, 2012, 01:29 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Quote:

Murobbi, sobai kintu apnar moto rich na. Balaka te movie r ticket matro 50 taka, compare to basundara 500 taka. So lower class people would rather watch 10 different movie at Baraka than going to basundara for just once.

Last edited by Nadim; February 17, 2012 at 02:06 AM..
Old February 17, 2012, 03:39 AM

Favorite Player: Tamim,Ash,Mash,Shakib

Areh bhai... Bangla cinermar je quality akhon cinema hall stop na hoye koi jabe??

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old February 17, 2012, 07:45 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

How about lifting the ban on Bollywood films?
Old February 17, 2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
How about lifting the ban on Bollywood films?
There would be no Dhaliwood then!!!
Old February 17, 2012, 08:08 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
There would be no Dhaliwood then!!!
According to the reports that's where Dhaliwood is heading in any case. Lift the ban on Bollywood films, bring the middle classes back into the cinema halls, save cinema halls from shutting down and people from losing their jobs. If it means no more cheap Shakib Khan films then so be it. However, I don't necessarily subscribe to this theory. Look at the Pakistani film industry after Pakistan lifted its ban on Bollywood - it's as strong as it's ever been. More potential revenue (now that the middle classes are patronising the new cinema halls and multiplexes) means the local film-makers are making better and bigger-budget films. This argument that these pseudo-nationalists in our film industry are using is just to protect their own lazy, inefficient asses. About the question of heritage - please, who are we kidding? TV on korle 90 out of 100 channels are Indian, go to any wedding you'll hear Bollywood music playing. In fact through this you can tax people for lacking taste. How much does a cinema ticket cost in BD? 150? Put an additional Tk. 150 tax on Bollywood film tickets, fill up the coffers and put the money back into the local arts industry.
Old February 17, 2012, 09:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Some of these cinema halls are located in prime locations, with low quality movies they just dont generate enough cash to make it a viable business. In 2010 the governement tried to introduce Bollywood movies in theatres to save the movie theatre business and also assumed that competition would promt quality cinema from bd directors... However beside 2-3 producer/directors, everyone else protested. Their excuse was lack of money would never allow them to compete with indian cinema, and the PM budged since AL was already viewed as India philes.....

The result, the theatres are mostly closing down. The producer/directors are making loss too. The whole industry is in ruins...

The only solution: Create good movies (which is a no brainer really)...
Old February 17, 2012, 09:39 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
According to the reports that's where Dhaliwood is heading in any case. Lift the ban on Bollywood films, bring the middle classes back into the cinema halls, save cinema halls from shutting down and people from losing their jobs. If it means no more cheap Shakib Khan films then so be it. However, I don't necessarily subscribe to this theory. Look at the Pakistani film industry after Pakistan lifted its ban on Bollywood - it's as strong as it's ever been. More potential revenue (now that the middle classes are patronising the new cinema halls and multiplexes) means the local film-makers are making better and bigger-budget films. This argument that these pseudo-nationalists in our film industry are using is just to protect their own lazy, inefficient asses. About the question of heritage - please, who are we kidding? TV on korle 90 out of 100 channels are Indian, go to any wedding you'll hear Bollywood music playing. In fact through this you can tax people for lacking taste. How much does a cinema ticket cost in BD? 150? Put an additional Tk. 150 tax on Bollywood film tickets, fill up the coffers and put the money back into the local arts industry.
Careful now...the haters will start saying you're selling the country to India.
Old February 17, 2012, 09:45 AM
Administrator

He is right. Why waste the hard earned tax payers' money by subsidizing cr@p. By protecting the local dishum dishum film industry, that is exactly what the government is doing. Open up the market - earn some revenue. Tax them foreign products. It's a win-win.
Old February 17, 2012, 09:46 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
The only solution: Create good movies (which is a no brainer really)...

Only solution. I don't wanna say it but the quality and content of our movies are really pathetic. Most of the B'wood movies are no better than ours in terms of plot and characters. Seriously, how is Dabang, Bodyguard etc. are different than our typical Rubel movies. But they have money to glamorize the scenes which provides escapism to the common audiences.

I think the golden period of Bangla cinema was during the Salman Shah era. Some originality in terms of story lines and songs were introduced. He was a great actor and ultimate playboy of our cinema. We need some superstar figure like that that can shake the industry and get people back to halls again.

I remember in the 90s, people would wait in lines to see a new Salman Shah movie. His movie songs would be played in gaye holuds and weddings. Heck, my older brother who was in his youth then bought a topi round topi that Salman Shah used to wear. It was a craze among young guys back then. Shakib Khan and Apu Dishwash is no way near that caliber.
Old February 17, 2012, 10:16 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Why would someone waste their hard earned money to watch these movies?

Old February 17, 2012, 11:46 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6_Turbo
Careful now...the haters will start saying you're selling the country to India.
Not at all.... This is a logic used by politicians, when they don't want to do something. We have given so many things and we accept so much of injustice... In many areas, who is saying what? And even if some are saying... Do they care?? Who cares??

When it comes to something constructive and beneficial, they bring up that logic and block it. Let's be sane and do what's economically beneficial and will lift our own industry. Any business without competition is supposed to produce rots like "Shami Keno Ashami" and hope it should have been super duper hit and he earns millions $

Lame lame excuses...
Old February 17, 2012, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
He is right. Why waste the hard earned tax payers' money by subsidizing cr@p. By protecting the local dishum dishum film industry, that is exactly what the government is doing. Open up the market - earn some revenue. Tax them foreign products. It's a win-win.
This excellent idea is a rocket science to the BD politicians with evil intentions. In the open market, when Dhallywood gets pushed from behind, it will create ways and means for survival and growth rather than having an easy life because of gov. subsidy. And that less competitiveness puts a lot of direct stress on the cinema halls for survival.

To bolster the industry, gov. should encourage the quality film producers like by giving them loans in lower int. rate, arranging seminars etc.

"For history, lines exist of the movement of human wills, one end of which is hidden in the unknown but at the other end of which a consciousness of man's will in the present moves in space, time, and dependence on cause." Leo Tolstoy.

We need to balance between free-will and determinism even in the open market.
Old February 17, 2012, 12:46 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Kill it if it is not dying fast enough. Culture na opoculture? Demolish those places and create parking and roads. Help ease the traffic. Everyone even in poor-middle class have DVD players nowadays soon big screens.
Old February 17, 2012, 12:57 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Kill it if it is not dying fast enough. Culture na opoculture? Demolish those places and create parking and roads. Help ease the traffic. Everyone even in poor-middle class have DVD players nowadays soon big screens.

Old February 17, 2012, 02:09 PM
Banned

^^We need the movie industry as a nation, then where the new movies will be released in when all the cinema halls are either parking lots or roads?
Old February 17, 2012, 02:22 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Cant help sharing this pic since we are talking about cinema hall