facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old June 26, 2007, 10:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.
Default Tigers doing their Killing

Source: Reuters AlertNet

Quote:
KHULNA, Bangladesh, June 26 (Reuters) - Tigers straying into villages around Bangladesh's Sundarbans mangrove forests have killed three people and some 50 cattle over the last 15 days, forest officials said on Tuesday.

Police, forest guards and volunteers have been engaged to guard villages by igniting bonfires to stop the ferocious predators. Forest officials said the tigers might have strayed into villages in search of food, which is becoming scarcer in the Sundarbans because of deforestation and human encroachment.

About three million people live in and around the Bangladesh part of the 6,000-sq km (2,320-sq mile) mangrove swamps.

The Forest Ministry said after conducting a tiger census in the wetlands in 2005 that only around 400 tigers are left in the Bangladesh part of the Sundarbans.

The Sundarbans mangrove swamps, which stretches into India's eastern state of West Bengal, is about 400 km (250 miles) southwest of Dhaka and home to a wide variety of wildlife.

But its chief attraction are the tigers.

It forms a fragile ecosystem that is being ravaged by the pressures of population and weak enforcement of environmental regulations.

One of the world's most densely populated nations, Bangladesh has forest cover of only 17.5 percent.

Old June 26, 2007, 11:06 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

sundarban

areas of RBT

The RBT

Polatok Bagh
Old June 26, 2007, 11:13 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

That's very sad. I wouldn't wanna live in one of those areas...feeling sorry for the innocent victims.
Old June 26, 2007, 11:39 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Mashrafe & Shakib!
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
That's very sad. I wouldn't wanna live in one of those areas...feeling sorry for the innocent victims.
I'm feeling sorrier for the tigers. It's like your family has been living at your home for hundreds of years, all of a sudden unknown people move in, eat your food, pillage your land and call you the culprit!

At one point or the other you would snap!

While my heart goes out to the families of the victims, I feel even sorrier for the poor tigers. 400 remaining only in 2005.....maybe lesser remain now.....what's next?
We'll have to call ourselves the Bangladeshi "Kauwas" since I think that crows have outnumbered all other animals in our country at present besides us humans !!!!!
Old June 27, 2007, 05:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

I agree with Trigger. Tigers are doing what their instinct tells them to do. People should either fence themselves off or move out if that's not possible.
Old June 27, 2007, 08:07 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Long live the Tigers!!

As much as my hurt goes to those victims and thier family members, we got over 150 million to live by.

They got only 400.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old June 27, 2007, 08:46 AM
Cricket Guru

I mentioned in other threads and feel pity for these remaining tigers(now less than 400). They will obviously attack as humans are trying to go to their territories. And our foresty department are so corrupted that they are not doing anything to save these animals. On the other hand, IND foresty dept trying their best to make sure their foresty and animals remain safe. Unfortunately withing few years we will not have any tigers in Sundarban, we will only have them in Zoo!!
Old June 27, 2007, 09:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

They attack humans because they see us like other animals they hunt in their daily lives. With CTG in place, I hope the forestry corruption is eliminated in time so these tigers can be saved from extinction.

Their numbers are dwindling just like the run rate of our cricket Tigers.
Old June 27, 2007, 09:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
They attack humans because they see us like other animals they hunt in their daily lives. With CTG in place, I hope the forestry corruption is eliminated in time so these tigers can be saved from extinction.

Their numbers are dwindling just like the run rate of our cricket Tigers.
Sad truth.

Why can't we start a widespread conservation effort? With the CTG at helm and corruption at bay, many steps can be taken to preserve many important habitats. India has made rapid strides in their conservation efforts in the last 5 year from what I know. maybe we should take a page out of their book.