facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 22, 2014, 05:01 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Don't understand why everyone is going gaga over Mosaddek, going as far as to suggest he should be in the A team. Didn't he choke like all the other U-19s against the West Indies not so long ago?

#OneTeam1Dream

Old April 22, 2014, 03:24 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
Yep talent isn't enough, have to perform to maintain a spot, perhaps shuvagata should take his place as he offers something similar with the ball which could be very useful. Although if its for the #8 position then should just take another bowler.
I'd place Naeem, Nurul, Nasir, and Anamul over Shuvagata right now. Shuvagata had a pretty good year but nothing spectacular in the end like Naeem and Nurul did.

There are a few more matches and then the A team tour so they all have time to boost their chances
Old April 22, 2014, 03:27 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Don't understand why everyone is going gaga over Mosaddek, going as far as to suggest he should be in the A team. Didn't he choke like all the other U-19s against the West Indies not so long ago?
He still had about a 40 average in 37 matches for the U19 team and was one of the top batsmen in the DPL. I agree though I'd still not place him in the A team yet. Let him get a season or 2 of FC's before he gets considered for the national team.
Old April 22, 2014, 05:20 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
I'd place Naeem, Nurul, Nasir, and Anamul over Shuvagata right now. Shuvagata had a pretty good year but nothing spectacular in the end like Naeem and Nurul did.

There are a few more matches and then the A team tour so they all have time to boost their chances
i'd still look at anamul as opener or #3 rather than down at 7, nasir, well that depends on form doesn't it and i'm discussing based on the notion that nasir has been dropped from the team thus he's not a contender in that situation. naeem and nurul have had really good seasons but so has shuvagata, they may have had better seasons but at the same time shuvagata is a more similar player to riyad. naeem at this point basically purely bats, doesn't really bowl whereas riyad and shuvagata both bowl regularly. nurul is a keeper batsman, i'd rather have him in contention as a keeper batsman than a pure batsmen when we've got mushy who isn't the greatest keeper and nurul is a good keeper (be better for mushy to drop glove, then drop nasir and play mushy as batsman and nurul as keeper batsman.

but if you want a similar player to riyad, shuvagata is an option.
Old April 22, 2014, 08:28 PM
Cricket Legend

-I would definately bring Shabbir into A team. Dont mind to give a chance to Anamul Jr.; seems like he is also doing good in batting.

-A. Majid and Nazmul Apu are very good prospects for future A team.

-Dont know what to do with farhad reza though? Is he another T. Imran?

-Please check this for top batsmen and bowler in NCL 2014.

http://epaper.prothom-alo.com/index....ate=2014-04-23
Old April 22, 2014, 09:59 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
i'd still look at anamul as opener or #3 rather than down at 7, nasir, well that depends on form doesn't it and i'm discussing based on the notion that nasir has been dropped from the team thus he's not a contender in that situation. naeem and nurul have had really good seasons but so has shuvagata, they may have had better seasons but at the same time shuvagata is a more similar player to riyad. naeem at this point basically purely bats, doesn't really bowl whereas riyad and shuvagata both bowl regularly. nurul is a keeper batsman, i'd rather have him in contention as a keeper batsman than a pure batsmen when we've got mushy who isn't the greatest keeper and nurul is a good keeper (be better for mushy to drop glove, then drop nasir and play mushy as batsman and nurul as keeper batsman.

but if you want a similar player to riyad, shuvagata is an option.
I don't think the focus should really be on replacing Riyad because we already have an all rounder in Shakib that will fill the 5th bowler. So the bowling should not come in to play much for these batsmen IMO.

Shuvagata did pretty well I agree but Naeem and Nurul had averages in the 70s this season while Shuvagata did not even reach 40. So that's why I'm saying he's behind these 2.

Ideally, it'd be better if we didn't drop Nasir because even though he's going through poor form, he's still one of the key performers for us for the last few years and not having him in the lineup would hurt us or in the squad.
Old April 22, 2014, 10:18 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana Melb
-I would definately bring Shabbir into A team. Dont mind to give a chance to Anamul Jr.; seems like he is also doing good in batting.

-A. Majid and Nazmul Apu are very good prospects for future A team.

-Dont know what to do with farhad reza though? Is he another T. Imran?

-Please check this for top batsmen and bowler in NCL 2014.

http://epaper.prothom-alo.com/index....ate=2014-04-23
I'd forget about taking Farhad Reza. He's had plenty of chances now and and I can't even remember now when he showed anything promising. His bowling has no venom at all and his batting is just like another tailender. The sooner we start ignoring his performances the way we do with Tushar Imran the better.
Old April 22, 2014, 11:09 PM
Cricket Guru

I've not seen nurul so can't comment, he's done well but so have players like nazimuddin we have to make sure he's not one of those.

Naeem of course is right on the fringe and deserves it from do many years of consistency but shuvagata is more talented imo and currently offers more with the ball if that at all makes a difference.

It also depends on where they are batting, naeem at #7 with a strike at 40 or under, for me that's way to defensive and it isn't the way to win test matches, imo he needs to bat around 4 or 5 maybe 6, both nurul and shuvagata have higher strike rates making them better options for the lower order positions, they also offer a greater 2nd skill then naeem which does come into play when selecting for the #7 or #8 spots.
Old April 23, 2014, 02:46 AM
Cricket Legend

As sohel bhaibsaid this is an illusion..so really can't judge a players quality by looking at numbers..but good to see taijul amongst the wickets and sabbir amongst the runs
Old April 23, 2014, 03:35 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD_TigerZ
As sohel bhaibsaid this is an illusion..so really can't judge a players quality by looking at numbers..but good to see taijul amongst the wickets and sabbir amongst the runs
all you can really use it for is to see the consistency of a player (sure the competition standard is poor but it still shows who is more consistent), the other thing it shows is a players ability to not just score runs consistently but tons consistently, and that's the next level for BD cricket with the bat, finding batsmen that are consistent and that can score tons regularly (shakib, mushy are consistent but not ton scorers).
Old April 23, 2014, 02:15 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
I've not seen nurul so can't comment, he's done well but so have players like nazimuddin we have to make sure he's not one of those.

Naeem of course is right on the fringe and deserves it from do many years of consistency but shuvagata is more talented imo and currently offers more with the ball if that at all makes a difference.

It also depends on where they are batting, naeem at #7 with a strike at 40 or under, for me that's way to defensive and it isn't the way to win test matches, imo he needs to bat around 4 or 5 maybe 6, both nurul and shuvagata have higher strike rates making them better options for the lower order positions, they also offer a greater 2nd skill then naeem which does come into play when selecting for the #7 or #8 spots.
That's really a good point. I wasn't really thinking about that. Naeem is more suited for the 4-6 positions but the problem is we have Mominul, Mushy and Shakib filled in there. Our main problems are now the 1-3 spots and 7, all the spots that Naeem isn't really suited for.

That's where the selectors might opt for Anamul and either Shuvagata or Nurul for the last 2 spots. Assuming Nasir ends up being taken, they'd probably want Anamul taken as a backup since he's primarily a 1-3 batsmen and Imrul and Shamsur are still unproven there. Also not to mention Tamim being in poor form now. It'd be wise to take Anamul as insurance.

And as for the last spot, we need someon that can back up Nasir for the 7 spot and looks like this is where Nurul and Shuvagata would fill in better than Naeem.

It'd be sad though if Naeem would miss out but unfortunately there might not be space for him.
Old April 23, 2014, 02:18 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
all you can really use it for is to see the consistency of a player (sure the competition standard is poor but it still shows who is more consistent), the other thing it shows is a players ability to not just score runs consistently but tons consistently, and that's the next level for BD cricket with the bat, finding batsmen that are consistent and that can score tons regularly (shakib, mushy are consistent but not ton scorers).
Agreed. No doubt the NCL is a poor competition and is likely the worst FC league out of the other Test nations but still it's really the only FC competition we got and it gives us some indicator of the more consistent players.

Again that's why it's wise that the top performers play Academy and A team cricket before being thrown in to the national team. See if they have the ability to succeed at the international level and not just the domestics.
Old April 23, 2014, 03:32 PM
Cricket Guru

NCL: high in action, low in standard

A total of 35 centuries scored and 29 times the bowlers took five or more wickets in an innings are giving an impression that the just-concluded 15th National Cricket League was full of action, but the ground reality is far from what the mere statistics suggest.
The players and selectors are of the opinion that the standard of the tournament has little improved from its miserable past with the matches again being held on substandard wickets.
Teams were selected at the whims of officials, leaving the players to give an indifferent look towards the competition, which inevitably lowered the standard of cricket.

http://newagebd.net/?p=5517

Can't be too surprised here. Same thing again and again. If BCB keeps making this a picnic style league, we will continue to be defeated by the likes of WI, NZ and even Zim. Very frustrating for the fans but good to see the media bringing up the issue and slamming this league.
Old April 23, 2014, 06:13 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Shakib is not a ton scorer, but his average is steadily climbing. He averages over 38 in Tests now which is the best on our team with lazy boy Tamim dropping like an anchor.

In the past few years Mushy has been hitting some tons in both formats, vs India in Asia Cup, vs Lanka in test last year, and in a ZIM ODI in 2011. If Mushy gives up the gloves and bats up the order in Tests he will be a big ton scorer for us. Hard to hit tons when you're hiding at #6 because you're a so called "wicket keeper".

#OneTeam1Dream
Old April 23, 2014, 09:00 PM
Cricket Sage

^ also at number 6 you are forming partnerships with Riyad and tail enders. I used to think we can count on Riyad to be a decent lower order batsman in test at least at home but that ship already sailed. Mushy would have had a few more tons earlier in his career if he was batting some some capable batsmans. I want Mushy and Mominul to bat after one another in Test. They are both into grinding it out, something that even Shakib doesn't really try to do anymore.
Old April 23, 2014, 09:48 PM
Cricket Sage

I think we're underestimating Shakib's contributions recently due to recent Wt20 fiasco's in our memory.

Yes, Shakib has not been scoring big, but his average has steadily been climbing. Its over 38, which for our standards is very decent. Given that he's also our #1 strike bowler, he can get a pass for not hitting hundreds. Still I expect and would like him to start hitting a few more. I expect his overall career average to be in the mid 40s by the time he retires, low 40s if we play more matches in places like AUS, ENG, SA, NZ.

Shakib used to be our best batsman, now its Mushy, and in Tests I think Mominul has surpassed him as well. I know Mijan bhai is going to disagree

Tamim is the biggest disappointment, but even there he was instrumental in us drawing 2 of our most recent Tests. He should be averaging 50, but if he can lift his avg back to 40, I'll be ecstatic.

Nasir will also prove his class and come back with a bang.

Riyad might just the best off spinner in the country right now - unless Gazi pulls his socks up. Certainly a better bowler than that jackass Razzak.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old April 23, 2014, 11:29 PM
Cricket Guru

Not underestimating shakib or mushy's contributions but they struggled to carry into tons like pretty much all BD batsmen, that's why I say it's the next step.
Old April 23, 2014, 11:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Really sums it up.

High in action, low in standard.
Old April 24, 2014, 09:01 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajfar
^ also at number 6 you are forming partnerships with Riyad and tail enders. I used to think we can count on Riyad to be a decent lower order batsman in test at least at home but that ship already sailed. Mushy would have had a few more tons earlier in his career if he was batting some some capable batsmans. I want Mushy and Mominul to bat after one another in Test. They are both into grinding it out, something that even Shakib doesn't really try to do anymore.
Mominul's not really a grinder. Plays a lot of shots.
Old April 24, 2014, 12:26 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
I think we're underestimating Shakib's contributions recently due to recent Wt20 fiasco's in our memory.

Yes, Shakib has not been scoring big, but his average has steadily been climbing. Its over 38, which for our standards is very decent. Given that he's also our #1 strike bowler, he can get a pass for not hitting hundreds. Still I expect and would like him to start hitting a few more. I expect his overall career average to be in the mid 40s by the time he retires, low 40s if we play more matches in places like AUS, ENG, SA, NZ.

Shakib used to be our best batsman, now its Mushy, and in Tests I think Mominul has surpassed him as well. I know Mijan bhai is going to disagree

Tamim is the biggest disappointment, but even there he was instrumental in us drawing 2 of our most recent Tests. He should be averaging 50, but if he can lift his avg back to 40, I'll be ecstatic.

Nasir will also prove his class and come back with a bang.

Riyad might just the best off spinner in the country right now - unless Gazi pulls his socks up. Certainly a better bowler than that jackass Razzak.
Shakib is still our best batsman imo. He's averaging a 50 since last WC in Tests which our other batsmen aren't even close to really. I'd say Mushy would be our 2nd best. Mominul is a very promising player and currently has more centuries than Mushy and Shakib but I'd wait until I call him a better batsman than Mushy and Shakib at this moment. I could see him surpassing both though.

I can see Shakib, Mushy, Nasir, Tamim and Mominul end up with 40+ averages in Tests. Tamim is the most worrying though hopefully he can pick his form back up again. Our batting lineup seems pretty set. I expect Anamul to be up there with the others soon.

As for the bowling, we are not nearly as set there. Shakib is the only bowler going strong. Robiul hopefully continues to do well. We need to find guys that can support them now
Old April 24, 2014, 09:57 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
Mominul's not really a grinder. Plays a lot of shots.
And yet he's faced more balls per innings in his career thus far than genuine grinders like Javed Omar and Rajin Saleh. Slow strike rates don't necessarily a good test batsman make. Mominul has been instrumental in us drawing 2 Tests. His career SR of 60 is solid, but not overly aggressive.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old April 24, 2014, 10:27 PM
Cricket Guru

Mominul in the longer format has great shot selection and knows how to wait for the right balls, struggles with it in shorter formats because he feels like he has to get a move on.
Old April 24, 2014, 10:29 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
And yet he's faced more balls per innings in his career thus far than genuine grinders like Javed Omar and Rajin Saleh. Slow strike rates don't necessarily a good test batsman make. Mominul has been instrumental in us drawing 2 Tests. His career SR of 60 is solid, but not overly aggressive.
Rajin saleh, had high hopes for him, looked good earlier in his career.
Old April 26, 2014, 04:48 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Impressive Tanvir Haider had back to back centuries.
Old April 26, 2014, 06:10 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Rajin saleh, had high hopes for him, looked good earlier in his career.
I was huge fan. Plus he's a fellow Sylheti. But alas, although he had superb work ethic - probably even better than Mushy's - he just didn't have the talent.

#OneTeam1Dream