facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 16, 2009, 10:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishtylish cricketer
Cricket administrators will have to make room for IPL otherwise, players will retire from international cricket. Cricket is slowly transforming into a profitable sports business like soccer, hockey, basketball, football, etc so the focus will shift from international events to league/franchise based tournaments. Can international cricket exist in parallel with the quick-fix money of IPL? Will the craving and lust for 20/20 lead to the eventual death of test cricket?
I don't believe that T20 will be the cause of the death Test cricket as will the genuine stubbornness and the lack of foresight to rectify the issues by the ICC and the journalist/fans that refuse to acknowledge that changes are needed to Test cricket.

Old August 17, 2009, 07:27 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynman
I don't believe that T20 will be the cause of the death Test cricket as will the genuine stubbornness and the lack of foresight to rectify the issues by the ICC and the journalist/fans that refuse to acknowledge that changes are needed to Test cricket.
Changes are eminent and being implemented. Recently, ICC proposed reducing the test length to four days, suggested the use of pink balls and are aggressively trying to make it a day night event. Test cricket will lose out not because of lack of effort on the cricket administrators part rather the money generated by shortest format is too great of a quantity for them to concern themselves with preserving a traditional format that cannot bring in as much profit in five long days. Financially, it makes sense for the boards to reduce a test match or two in a series to substitute them with 20/20s to boost up the profits moreover, the players will never complain. Many fast bowlers have already expressed their preference for the shortest format seeing that they only have to bowl four overs.

The future of cricket is here and it is undoubtedly 20/20. I can suggest many solutions to modernize longer version of cricket:

1) Give first class cricket test tatus or equivalent status and have a first class season of IPL as well (free entrance to first class cricket games).
2) Reduce the number of international cricket games and adopt a model of central profit generating league format like the EPL, NFL, NBA, NHL, etc with 20-25 teams.
3) Toughen up first class cricket by making the pitches more bowling friendly and giving the bowlers freedom to bowl as many bouncers they want in an over so that bowlers will feel they are "not getting paid to get hit".
4) Introduce a world cup of test cricket (every 2 years) where there is no draws.
5) Penalize teams for scoring at rate lower than 5.
6) Make it similar to baseball and have them play 4 innings game (4 innings of 50 overs).

I realize that these wholesale changes will change the core-concept of test match and you could argue that it would be better then to just scrap it off the ICC calender in which case you would right but I think these changes are necessary to preserve even a shadow of test cricket given the lust for 20/20 and spectators' appetite for maximum entertainment in shortest possible time. Besides, Bangladesh can compete well in this type of format.

Last edited by Ishtylish cricketer; August 17, 2009 at 07:39 AM..
Old August 17, 2009, 10:17 AM
Cricket Legend

yippeee, more job openings for shakib & tamim.... and thats all I care.....
Old August 17, 2009, 10:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishtylish cricketer
Changes are eminent and being implemented. Recently, ICC proposed reducing the test length to four days, suggested the use of pink balls and are aggressively trying to make it a day night event. Test cricket will lose out not because of lack of effort on the cricket administrators part rather the money generated by shortest format is too great of a quantity for them to concern themselves with preserving a traditional format that cannot bring in as much profit in five long days. Financially, it makes sense for the boards to reduce a test match or two in a series to substitute them with 20/20s to boost up the profits moreover, the players will never complain. Many fast bowlers have already expressed their preference for the shortest format seeing that they only have to bowl four overs.

The future of cricket is here and it is undoubtedly 20/20. I can suggest many solutions to modernize longer version of cricket:

1) Give first class cricket test tatus or equivalent status and have a first class season of IPL as well (free entrance to first class cricket games).
2) Reduce the number of international cricket games and adopt a model of central profit generating league format like the EPL, NFL, NBA, NHL, etc with 20-25 teams.
3) Toughen up first class cricket by making the pitches more bowling friendly and giving the bowlers freedom to bowl as many bouncers they want in an over so that bowlers will feel they are "not getting paid to get hit".
4) Introduce a world cup of test cricket (every 2 years) where there is no draws.
5) Penalize teams for scoring at rate lower than 5.
6) Make it similar to baseball and have them play 4 innings game (4 innings of 50 overs).

I realize that these wholesale changes will change the core-concept of test match and you could argue that it would be better then to just scrap it off the ICC calender in which case you would right but I think these changes are necessary to preserve even a shadow of test cricket given the lust for 20/20 and spectators' appetite for maximum entertainment in shortest possible time. Besides, Bangladesh can compete well in this type of format.

Check out my suggestions on this thread, we have some ideas in common. But following the thread you'll notice that there seems to be more of a demand for status quo and any attempt to touch test cricket is almost seen as blasphemy.

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=30095
Old August 22, 2009, 03:43 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

So three more teams means more international involvement.
To keep the strength even top players will be somewhat evenly auctioned, leaving the franchises more room to call up low ranked team members.
I see great prospect for some of the players, it may bring in fortune of a lifetime.
Old August 24, 2009, 10:17 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynman
Check out my suggestions on this thread, we have some ideas in common. But following the thread you'll notice that there seems to be more of a demand for status quo and any attempt to touch test cricket is almost seen as blasphemy.

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=30095
This are all very good suggestion. But my question is why don`t we play baseball instead of modified cricket to baseball.
Old October 17, 2009, 12:55 PM
Cricket Sage

do any of guys think IPL teams might consider buying kapali because of his performance in last year's ICL?
Old October 17, 2009, 03:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangladesh_sy
do any of guys think IPL teams might consider buying kapali because of his performance in last year's ICL?
i think so
Old October 18, 2009, 04:43 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Does it mean we will see more BD player or more English player in IPL?
Old October 18, 2009, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangladesh_sy
Apparently he did have a verbal offer from one of the franchises last year on the condition that he would leave the ICL, which he didn't, at least not on time.