facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 15, 2008, 02:57 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

If we don't change our wicket type, format change will do nothing to improve our cricket. Teams will pack their sides with mediocre spinners on slow low wicket and will succeed. This will neither help our boys to develop Test skills nor help tackling seaming conditions.

If it is not carefully planned, it can even make the situation worse.

We must blend our wicket type. Half of the matches should be played on typical sub-continental wickets and the rest on fast bouncy wickets.

Old July 15, 2008, 03:00 PM
Cricket Legend
ICC WT20 2016 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
Off topic i read it some where that While BCB training was going on for Canada picnic and Australia tour Mash was playing football with his para polapain and ended with khichuri as it was raining.

This is called professional Player. Who would pay if he got injured while playing soccer in rain? And no wonder he is getting that tummy...
Simply spot on, these unprofessional cricketers has no accountability to BCB or else how can they play in para football being an international player???
Old July 15, 2008, 08:31 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

our priorities are:

Test cricket
Test cricket
Test cricket
ODI cricket
ODI cricket
women's field hockey
building fishing nets
american football
begging
20-20 cricket

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 15, 2008, 09:44 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: An honest player; a trier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
If we don't change our wicket type, format change will do nothing to improve our cricket. Teams will pack their sides with mediocre spinners on slow low wicket and will succeed...
I agree...wickets have to be improved. Also, i think it is important to have proper training facilities for the players. One new gym is not enough. I'm a bit conceerned tho about the suggested number of days played being too much....63 day for 12 team leagues.Including rest periods...is that too much? Why not just have the 2nd round of premier league as 4-day match instead of a separate tourny? Maybe Sponsor issues? Hope the clubs are funded more...they've complained in the past how they can't manage cost of training.I think it's important to have 80/90 over matches in 2nd grade too...since some younger ones prob play there first. I don't see much point of 20/20.
Old July 15, 2008, 11:36 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
If we don't change our wicket type, format change will do nothing to improve our cricket. Teams will pack their sides with mediocre spinners on slow low wicket and will succeed. This will neither help our boys to develop Test skills nor help tackling seaming conditions.

If it is not carefully planned, it can even make the situation worse.
And I am afraid it will get worse. At least last season, Sajidul, Talha, Tareq, etc were getting good purchase from the wicket during the early part of the season. This season, with this kind of cramped schedule, pitches will deteriorate much faster, not to mention pacers will frequently pick up injuries.

Once again, BCB bosses are going all wrong about our domestic setup - it's the quality that they need to work on, not the quantity.
Old July 16, 2008, 12:11 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Good to see some changes in the domestic circuit. They need to develop facilities all over the country. All teams must have certified coaches (hire foreign coaches if needed), Foreign players to be permitted, variety of pitches.

Private sector should come up with a domestic ranking system. That can make the domestic performance count and players will also be serious with that.
Old July 16, 2008, 02:50 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

so no 50 over match?

there should be also 50 over match. last time it didn't work
Old July 16, 2008, 02:51 AM
Cricket Guru

or there can be another 50 over match tourney side by side.... then there will be ground probe too...
Old July 16, 2008, 02:54 AM
Cricket Guru

There should be home n away system n ground for that. where they could find such?
Old July 16, 2008, 04:11 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell, aftab ahmed

To be honest I fail to see how this scheme will work.

We all know that Dhaka club cricket is played at a much higher level than the NCL (perhaps because of the number of international players, from both BD and abroad, participating). So if we are going to improve our performance for tests, shouldn't we have 4 day games? i fail to see how a 2-day 90 over event will help us perform in test matches.

Quote:
People (Read young) r forgetting something here. If you can play TEST you can do play any kind of cricket. This 90 over game is to improve our TEST players not for ODIs and 20/20.

Anyway main thing is we need to do every thing we can to improve our TEST players then every thing will fall into places...
Again, i fail to see how playing 90 overs over two days will help us in test matches played over 5 days. The obvious solution is to replicate the NCL (4-day games) but with the far superior dhaka club sides...
Old July 16, 2008, 04:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu2abu

Again, i fail to see how playing 90 overs over two days will help us in test matches played over 5 days. The obvious solution is to replicate the NCL (4-day games) but with the far superior dhaka club sides...
Playing 90 overs per innings definitely help to improve our test batting. If they can play 90 overs regularly, it will help to survive our test players innings wise.
Old July 16, 2008, 04:24 AM
Cricket Guru

to bat longer in d middle.
Old July 16, 2008, 07:01 AM
Cricket Legend

No 50 over tournament then? That does it for me. Looks like the demise of 50 over cricket has already begun. Goddamn you twenty20.
Old July 16, 2008, 07:36 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports_fan_bd
Playing 90 overs per innings definitely help to improve our test batting. If they can play 90 overs regularly, it will help to survive our test players innings wise.
I disagree. Test cricket is played over 5 days not 2. In order to improve our test performances we need to replicate the 5-day game as accurately as possible. The best way to do this is either (ideally) through 4 day games or 3 day games. I accept that playing 90 overs in a two-day format is a small step in the right direction, but it won't have any discernable impact.

We already have 4 day cricket (the NCL) but the quality of this 1st class competition is questionable. The dhaka league clubs are much better so it makes sense to have them play 4 day cricket instead.

I don't see any other countries around the world experimenting with 90 over cricket over 2 days. But I admit I am unclear as to how it will work, so there may be some wisdom in it. Right now, I just can't see it...
Old July 16, 2008, 09:29 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
I disagree. Test cricket is played over 5 days not 2. In order to improve our test performances we need to replicate the 5-day game as accurately as possible. The best way to do this is either (ideally) through 4 day games or 3 day games. I accept that playing 90 overs in a two-day format is a small step in the right direction, but it won't have any discernable impact.

We already have 4 day cricket (the NCL) but the quality of this 1st class competition is questionable. The dhaka league clubs are much better so it makes sense to have them play 4 day cricket instead.

I don't see any other countries around the world experimenting with 90 over cricket over 2 days. But I admit I am unclear as to how it will work, so there may be some wisdom in it. Right now, I just can't see it...
2 improve in 5 day game you don't have to play all 5 days. no one plays FC for 5 days. 2 days is a great starting point if they can keep it competitive...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old July 16, 2008, 03:53 PM
Cricket Guru

My plan for the domestic season would be -

Warm up for the season with a 40 overs tournament (50 over matches are soon to be obsolete). May be not a round robin league, but a cup where teams will be divided into groups with crossover semifinals and final, so that this tournament does not take too long.

Then have the the 2-day league for 12 premier league teams, from where top 6 teams will be chosen for the next tournament. This tournament should be completed by December.

From January, start the FC tournament. It should be a double round league with each round consisting of a four-day match, a day break, an one-day match, and another three day break before next round - a total of 9 days. Ten rounds should take 90 days. Considering there will be some other breaks in between, the tournament should end by 1st week of April.

In April, when it's too hot, BCB should organize a twenty20 tournament that can be played under lights.
Old July 16, 2008, 04:01 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
our priorities are:

Test cricket
Test cricket
Test cricket
ODI cricket
ODI cricket
women's field hockey
building fishing nets
american football
begging
20-20 cricket
I wish I could bronze plate this and nail it infront of the entry door of BCB's Office.

Thank you for the laugh therapy. I owe you one.
Old July 16, 2008, 09:14 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: An honest player; a trier

Quote:
I disagree. Test cricket is played over 5 days not 2. In order to improve our test performances we need to replicate the 5-day game as accurately as possible. The best way to do this is either (ideally) through 4 day games or 3 day games. I accept that playing 90 overs in a two-day format is a small step in the right direction, but it won't have any discernable impact....
I think u didn't realise that when they'd play 2-day games each team can only bat once. Unless one team is really crap. So we're playing a 4-day game over essentially 2-day period. It's not a bad idea. we need players used to building highscores. And this way we make sure that one century from onbe player does not automatically mean the team has a big score. Everyone will be forced to learn here. Batsmen get more used to leaving the ball and bowlers would concentrate more on consistency than on 1-2 over match-changing spells.

Correct me if I'm wrong here in anything.
Old July 17, 2008, 03:33 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
2 improve in 5 day game you don't have to play all 5 days. no one plays FC for 5 days. 2 days is a great starting point if they can keep it competitive...
Akabir bhai, to be fair I never said we needed to play over 5 days. i said we needed to replicate the five day format as closely as possible and that is normally done through 4 and 3 day games in 1st class cricket. It is certainly true that no one plays FC for TWO days. Please don't misquote me to make it sound like I'm talking nonsense...

Nahaz, i think you're right, only one inning allowing teams to build scores. i thought I might be missing something. It's still a small step, we need to improve the standard of our 4-day cricket to succeed in test cricket. Allowing overseas players and/or getting the dhaka clubs to participate would be a much better way of doing this.
Old July 17, 2008, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

I'm not too happy with the two-day format; as it is, we still suck in ODI's and I don't see the point of cutting down on how many of those we play in a domestic season. Besides, this sounds more like a half-measure than anything else. Play 3/4 dayers, T20's and 1-dayers. Batting for 90 overs a piece doesn't seem right - what's a good score? How long do you block before you start to hit?
Old July 17, 2008, 10:17 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Quote:
Akabir bhai, to be fair I never said we needed to play over 5 days. i said we needed to replicate the five day format as closely as possible and that is normally done through 4 and 3 day games in 1st class cricket. It is certainly true that no one plays FC for TWO days. Please don't misquote me to make it sound like I'm talking nonsense...

You are telling others not to misquote you but on the other hand you are doing it your self. Where does it says (in my quote) that you said anything about 5 days game thing...? All I said

Please Read it carefully.

"2 improve in 5 day game you don't have to play all 5 days. " Here I didn't meant YOU with that you (i am sure your English is much better than mine so don't take it the other way...). Sorry for the miss understanding.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old July 17, 2008, 10:23 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
You are telling others not to misquote you but on the other hand you are doing it your self. Where does it says (in my quote) that you said anything about 5 days game thing...? All I said

Please Read it carefully.

"2 improve in 5 day game you don't have to play all 5 days. " Here I didn't meant YOU with that you (i am sure your English is much better than mine so don't take it the other way...). Sorry for the miss understanding.
No worries man. I take your point. I misread it, i apologise.
Old July 18, 2008, 05:02 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

BCB needs to go for decentralization of cricket. At least 4 regional cricket association has to be formed with proper resources. Each association will arrange their local leagues among the dist teams under them. The cream players of these tournaments will form the teams of the regional associations and take part in the national championship.

The success of this initiative will depend on proper funding to the associations with required man-power allocation.
Old July 19, 2008, 02:26 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
BCB needs to go for decentralization of cricket. At least 4 regional cricket association has to be formed with proper resources. Each association will arrange their local leagues among the dist teams under them. The cream players of these tournaments will form the teams of the regional associations and take part in the national championship.

The success of this initiative will depend on proper funding to the associations with required man-power allocation.
Amar moner kotha. e chara upai nai.
Old July 19, 2008, 04:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
My plan for the domestic season would be -

Warm up for the season with a 40 overs tournament (50 over matches are soon to be obsolete). May be not a round robin league, but a cup where teams will be divided into groups with crossover semifinals and final, so that this tournament does not take too long.

Then have the the 2-day league for 12 premier league teams, from where top 6 teams will be chosen for the next tournament. This tournament should be completed by December.

From January, start the FC tournament. It should be a double round league with each round consisting of a four-day match, a day break, an one-day match, and another three day break before next round - a total of 9 days. Ten rounds should take 90 days. Considering there will be some other breaks in between, the tournament should end by 1st week of April.

In April, when it's too hot, BCB should organize a twenty20 tournament that can be played under lights.
Brilliant idea! Seeing that you are in Dhaka, It is a good idea to introduce this idea to the BCB, so they can mull over it.