facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 27, 2005, 07:40 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default My dream England team for subcontinent

1) Trescothick
2) Strauss
3) Vaughan
4) Bell
5) Joyce / Key
6) Pietersen
7) Flintoff
8) Read
9) Giles
10) Harmy
11) Simon Jones

This point was brought up on another forum.

Australia have a keeper who can be phenomenal with the bat, whereas England have a frontline bowler who can be phenomenal with the bat. They are both allrounders in their own right.

Why does your keeper have to bat at 7? I think Flintoff would be better at 7 with an extra batsman in there. On the subcontinent, we will need or best keeper (Read) not G Jones. Read can bat at 8 if Giles can.

Giles would do more than Hoggard in the subcontinent. Giles has been successful in the subcontinent even if he isn't great to watch, wheras HOggards rubbish when it doesn't swing. When England play in places where it swings, then Hoggard plays instead of Giles.

What do you think?

Edited on, July 28, 2005, 12:42 AM GMT, by Rob.

Old July 27, 2005, 08:17 PM
First Class Cricketer

I think england cud triumph in Pakistan but beware of Danish Kaneria.......Abt the Pak Batsman only Inzy and Yousuf Youhana wouldl show their class also Asim Kamal,Younis Khan.........Others are very poor in technique........England beware of Rawalpindi Express Shaoib Akhtar...
About the Indian tour :Australia won the tour of India because of Defensive field settings..I f England look to attack they will loose

Rob u got to give credit to Giles...he is a great bowler...I well tell u why hees troubled Sachin too often and Sehwag to an extent..If Harmison becomes Home Sick.....Dravid and Sehwag would bite and murder him....Then its gonna be even more difficult

Edited on, July 28, 2005, 1:20 AM GMT, by banindfan.
Old July 27, 2005, 08:28 PM
ODI Cricketer

Giles will do a good job for England in the subcontinent, his line may drive people mad in the process, but ultimatly at the end of the day he will come out having done a good job, he always has done in the past in the subcontinet and is a better bowler now than he was then.

We could do with KP and Vaughan practising their spinners a bit!

You are right about Harmy, he will never be a complete bowler until he can bowl well abroad. Although he was brilliant in the West Indies, the sub continent is different because of all the security, heat etc.., it is more easy for someone like Harmison to get homesick.
Old July 27, 2005, 08:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Giles will be the key to a series win in Pakistan... as the conditions favour him. If he fails, then England will have a tough time..

But I have a question, after Giles who is next as a spin bowler for England,
Old July 28, 2005, 08:27 AM
ODI Cricketer

Well we have Gareth Batty who played in that test against Bangladesh. No more than an OK batsman but certainly not a mug, is improving all the time and has more variation than Giles, apparantly has a doosra in the works. Has work to do on his accuracy.

Gary Keedy is the best wickettaking spinner in the country, turns the ball a lot, but, can't bat and that hs probably cost him an England chance.

Graeme Swann is an OK spinner, but nothing overly special, has talent with ball and bat but hasn't really fulfilled it. Played one ODI against SA when he was a teenager but not played for England since. Had a bad attitude.

Mark Lawson is only 17 and hasn't got into the Yorkshire 1st team yet, but is in the U-19's.Probably the best hope we have, a leg spinner who apparantly has real good talent. My advice for him for Englands sake would probably be to work goddamn hard.
Old July 28, 2005, 08:29 AM
ODI Cricketer

Actually Lawson has played some first class cricket. Here is CricInfo page : http://content.cricinfo.com/ci/conte...yer/16480.html
Old July 28, 2005, 12:31 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
1) Trescothick
2) Strauss
3) Vaughan
4) Bell
5) Joyce / Key
6) Pietersen
7) Flintoff
8) Read
9) Giles
10) Harmy
11) Simon Jones

What do you think?

Edited on, July 28, 2005, 12:42 AM GMT, by Rob.
i would have collingwood in the side insted of key / joyce.
he is a improved batsman now and looks the business,

Graient jones is much better the read! his gloves work has really improved since winter tour and will continue to improve. if he is not answer i will have matt prior he is really good batsman wicketkipper......
Old July 28, 2005, 12:34 PM
ODI Cricketer

Chris Read is the best keeper in the country by far, he is outstanding and if the keeper is to bat at 8 then we might as well play Read. Reads a better batsman than Giles who currently bats at 8.
Old July 28, 2005, 12:38 PM
Club Cricketer

collingwood.......
hes better than most all rounder around the globe
i guess in test u dont see two all rounder in test match thats why he is not making the team,
i think he will after his recent county matches, he scored 191 last week while the chairman of selector was watching, he scored 181 this week.
in pakistan we will see him insted of hoggard.
Old July 28, 2005, 12:53 PM
ODI Cricketer

I think England have got to get Flintoff down to 7, he is too high at 6 and England don't need more of this: http://editorial.gettyimages.com/sou...53266314&cdi=0
Old July 28, 2005, 01:03 PM
Club Cricketer

[mod.action deleted]

i see u started a forum saying ed joyce is a joke than u include him in ur dream team
then u talk about flintoff down to no 7,,just cause a failure they change batting order, and that dismisal u talking about that not technical fault, the ball kept low,
what u say next:: Bell at 8, Vaughan at no 9

Edited on, July 28, 2005, 6:06 PM GMT, by nas.

Edited on, July 28, 2005, 6:14 PM GMT, by Zunaid.
Reason: mod.action no personal attacks please
Old July 28, 2005, 01:08 PM
ODI Cricketer

I have always believed Freddie should be at number 7 in tests, against top quality bowling attacks he doesn't have the temperament or patience of a number 6 IMO.

The whole idea of Joyce being able to play for England now, having played for Ireland just 3 weeks ago is a joke, Joyce himself isn't a joke - the rules are.
Old July 29, 2005, 12:28 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
I have always believed Freddie should be at number 7 in tests, against top quality bowling attacks he doesn't have the temperament or patience of a number 6 IMO.
looks like u been sleeping last 12 months,
he is been by far the best cricketer in last 12 months on both form of the game....
U think he will strugle aganist any attack in subcontinent? even at no 6??
let alone no 6, i think he's capale of distroying any attack in asia on any batting position aganist!!

Edited on, July 29, 2005, 5:29 PM GMT, by nas.
Old August 2, 2005, 01:09 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Amla

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob

The whole idea of Joyce being able to play for England now, having played for Ireland just 3 weeks ago is a joke, Joyce himself isn't a joke - the rules are.
if you play for a country u shouldnt be allowed to play for another, its as simple as that.
Old August 12, 2005, 09:01 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tendulkar & Jonty Rhodes

well giles is nt dat gr8!
he just turns the ball a lot thas it!!
u've gotta have variations 2 play against india,pak n sri lanka!!
in the world cricket these teams hav sum best spin playin players!!
beware!!
howeva pietersen is gonna hav a hard time against pak coz its not aus he is playin against!!
pak can handle players like him i m sure n india is gonna eat him raw if he comes 4 da tour!!
coz as i see he starts pretty steady and dat can prove very bad 4 him!!
Old August 13, 2005, 08:30 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob

Why does your keeper have to bat at 7? I think Flintoff would be better at 7 with an extra batsman in there. . [/i]
its actually 6...

and if you havent noticed england has geraint jones at number 6 too....

i dont know about england but in australia's case they have top batsman at the top order.....btw, gilchirst opens up in ODI matches.....and gilchrist is much better player compared to jones....his stats speaks for itself...

aussie batsmen are much better than the english ones...
Old August 15, 2005, 03:02 PM
Street Cricketer

the key for england in pakistan will be :: Simon jones and flintoff they seem to have something of reverse swing ....Pakistanis will be making dry spinning tracks with no bounce ,,,,,,,,,,,,,with no bounce i think harmison will be in-effective ....so danger men in bowling department will be jones and flntoff

and abt the batters ......normally the batsmen who likest to take on the bowling have done great job in pakistan ...likes of Sehwag's 300 and Jaysuriya's 200 last year ....those who try to defend they are going to find life hard out there ..........

From Pakistan ...inzi ,Shaoib nd Danish will be the key players ..........they are the match winners .when they score pakistan wins,. Other players normally contribute in the matches Pakistan loses
Old August 17, 2005, 11:56 AM
Cricket Legend

harmison bowled very well in bd, it was quite clear he was the best of the lot. but hoggard suffered. the reason is subcontinent wicket dont offer that much swing but tall and quick bowlers like harmison will always be dangerous.

but what england will always miss in subcontinet is 1 or 2 really good spinners. giles is merely a defensive spinner who tries to frustrate the batsmen in buying a wicket. bowling outside leg in the rough, most batsmen actually like this line, because they wont get out and can always squeeze 2-3 runs an over which is enough in tests.
Old August 17, 2005, 01:47 PM
Club Cricketer

except hoggard...all other english bowlers will do well in asian wickets.... cause they have geniune pace and bounce which most asian players hate.

i agree england lack a quality spinner but the way flintoff and simon jones are reverse swing the ball, i dont think having no attacking spineer will be a problem for them. They are reverse swinging the ball both ways with pace.

i guess in subcontinent wicket england will bring either collingwood or an extra batsman or maybe cris tremlet for his extra pace and bounce ...
Old August 17, 2005, 01:47 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by nas
except hoggard...all other english bowlers will do well in asian wickets.... cause they have geniune pace and bounce which most asian players hate.

i agree england lack a quality attacking spinner but the way flintoff and simon jones are reverse swing the ball, i dont think having no attacking spineer will be a problem for them. They are reverse swinging the ball both ways with pace.

i guess in subcontinent wicket england will bring either collingwood or an extra batsman or maybe cris tremlet for his extra pace and bounce ...