facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old August 15, 2008, 05:01 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket
Default 15th August, The Blackest Day in our Independent History

Its 15th August today.

33rd Death Anniversary of our Father of the Nation, the Architect of our Independence and one of the Greatest Son Bangalee race will ever produce.

Its the Death Anniversary of our Great Leader, Bongobondhu Sheikh Mujib Rahman.

Personally, i feel Sheikh Mujib Rahman should be above all politics, parties and our inevitable differences.

He is our Nelson Mandella, our Che Guevara, our Yassir Arafat, our Abraham Lincoln.

He lead a nation through the darkest of her days and gave hope to millions of people who fought for our Independence. It was his voice, his leadership and unbreakabe personaity that kept people's hopes alive for FREEDOM.

Freedom we sought for, Freedom we fought for, Freedom that came at a cost of millions, through Great Sacrifice.

Bangladesh was born and Sheikh Mujib was one of the most integral part of it.

Its a shame today that we have to pass a law from High Court to pay respect to our Great Leader. It should have been done by every single Bangladeshi nonetheless.

Time to set the records straight and learn the true history.

I pay my deepest homage and gratitude to Bongobondhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.

May Allah Grant You the Highest of Paradise.

You will live forever among us.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]

Old August 15, 2008, 06:05 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz

Its a shame today that we have to pass a law from High Court to pay respect to our Great Leader.
Yes, when i heard about this i found it extremely sad, and it's even more sad how his "killers" are still out and running ( well some of them).

He was indeed a great leader. My Dad was telling me how he met Bangabandhu with my Dadu moni, who at the time was the president of the " mohila aumi league" thingy for Commilla. I found it kinda awkward when he called Bangabandhu "handsome" lol.

I also find it very weird how today it's Kaleda Zia's B'day, I mean how sad can you get?
Old August 15, 2008, 06:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Its 15th August today.

33rd Death Anniversary of our Father of the Nation, the Architect of our Independence and one of the Greatest Son Bangalee race will ever produce.

Its the Death Anniversary of our Great Leader, Bongobondhu Sheikh Mujib Rahman.

Personally, i feel Sheikh Mujib Rahman should be above all politics, parties and our inevitable differences.

He is our Nelson Mandella, our Che Guevara, our Yassir Arafat, our Abraham Lincoln.

He lead a nation through the darkest of her days and gave hope to millions of people who fought for our Independence. It was his voice, his leadership and unbreakabe personaity that kept people's hopes alive for FREEDOM.

Freedom we sought for, Freedom we fought for, Freedom that came at a cost of millions, through Great Sacrifice.

Bangladesh was born and Sheikh Mujib was one of the most integral part of it.

Its a shame today that we have to pass a law from High Court to pay respect to our Great Leader. It should have been done by every single Bangladeshi nonetheless.

Time to set the records straight and learn the true history.

I pay my deepest homage and gratitude to Bongobondhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.

May Allah Grant You the Highest of Paradise.

You will live forever among us.
ditto
Old August 15, 2008, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by antora93

I also find it very weird how today it's Kaleda Zia's B'day, I mean how sad can you get?
Joy Bangabandhu.

Who is sad...khaleda Zia, or her mom who gave her birth, or GOD, for creating and setting her birth in motion ?

Its my cousin's bday today, as well. We've got a big cake for him, and he sure will have it all over his face with the cream. And I'll have my piece as well.
Old August 15, 2008, 11:14 AM
Banned

Quote:

None of them. None founded his country, than violated it, and then died a violent death in vain.

But let's try to find out who is the most synonymous to him. That should be fun and educational.

Time for Chinaman to crawl out of his hole and enlighten us...or ban us.
Old August 15, 2008, 11:44 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundit
None of them. None founded his country, than violated it, and then died a violent death in vain.

But let's try to find out who is the most synonymous to him. That should be fun and educational.

i have always wondered, what triggered the assassination in the first place?
Old August 15, 2008, 11:49 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Bongobondhu never violated this country. He never could.
He was the victim of a well orchestrated international politics and the immediate consequences of a newly independent country where every other person had a weapon in possesion.

It was meant to be a chaos, and chaos it was. It was a mess, complete mess, no doubt about that.

The newborn Bangladesh was literally destroyed in terms of infrastructure, her best minds were killed only a few days before the independence and it had absolutely nothing to begin with.

Do you know the pakistani army even burned all the cash that was on then pakistan central bank ( now Bangladesh Bank) on the morning of 16th December?

He had to start from the scratch with not enough able people to be by his side.
It was never meant to be a smooth ride, and he paid the ultimate price with his life.

The four names i've mentioned for a reason. Briefly,

Nelson Mandella, was the beacon of hope for his Black people for Freedom.

Che Guevera stood up against the oppressor and showed the world that you can dream.

Yassir Arafat lead a race of, again of oppressed, against the injustice and for that illusive freedom.

Abraham Lincoln, lead a country during the darkest of days when USA that we know today was on the verge of break up.

And what do you mean by they didnt have violent death?

How did Guevera and Lincoln died?
...and Arafat fought for that freedom till the last day of his life.

What makes Sheikh Mujib even greater?
Its a combination of all that factors. He stood up against the oppressor, gave hope to his people, became The Motivator during her fight for independence, endured great sufferings in the hand of the pakistanis and then lead a country to her darkest days.

All during his lifetime.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old August 15, 2008, 11:52 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Well put Rabz.
Old August 15, 2008, 11:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifat
i have always wondered, what triggered the assassination in the first place?
I think the explanation for that will vary depending on whom you ask.

When I was a kid, my mom would tell me it's because he started putting his relatives into powerful positions. Someone else said it was because he forgave all the war criminals. Also heard that he was destroying the economy instead of building it. Maybe it was all of those things. Maybe it was none of those things.

Check out the wikipedia summaries (although I am not sure how much is "factual"):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassi...Mujibur_Rahman

Quote:
Background

Following the independence of Bangladesh (Dec 1971), Mujib was released from custody in Pakistan. He became the Prime Minister and later President of the newly formed state. With an intention to establish communism step by step, he soon established a system of one-party rule (see BAKSAL), banned all the newspapers except four government publications, and declared himself life-long president through a constitutional amendment in early 1975. His declaration of one party rule was opposed by many political opponents and, allegedly, CIA used this to increase propaganda against him. Corruption started to spread during those initial years of Bangladeshi independence. Other major challenges which Mujibur Rahman had to face included the humanitarian disaster (roads, banks, markets, houses & schools were destroyed)that was left behind after the 1971 war, which culminated in a devastating famine in 1974. The main charges against Mujib included nepotism and misgovernance. Public wrath foamed up as people's purchasing power plummetted and there was no sign of any improvement. The military was also not in control.
I think the page could use some improvements.

Last edited by goru; August 15, 2008 at 12:02 PM..
Old August 15, 2008, 12:25 PM
Banned

Rabz - I think a Sheikh Mujibur Rahman in the mouldings of Gandhi would have been a more appropriate one.

Similarities w/ Sheikh Mujib:
Arafat accumulated a lot of wealth.
Che Guevera was a communist. I would have shot him myself.

Lincoln and Nelson are stark differences...they respected democracy. I think Sheikh Mujib butchered it with his maoist BAKSHAL.

...keep them coming Rabz...I am certainly learning more from you.
Old August 15, 2008, 02:09 PM
Banned

Obviously, Rabz didn't live the dreadful years of the early '70s under rampaging thugs of the Awami bahinis, and the famine.

Every day was a "black" day during those nightmare years. We were a free, sovereign nation, and Mujib was at the helm, with all the power and authority a mortal could attain on earth. Too kind, too loose, too generous. Although, I think fate puts people in places and times for a reason. I doubt if it were ever possible to unite all of East Pakistan without such a leadership.

Mujib's biggest success is the creation of Bangladesh.
Mujib's biggest failure: Inability to identify "BANGLADESHI NATIONALISM"

Even today, the Awamis, under the direct order and direction of India, actively tries to dilute, disregard and misdirect the idea of BANGLADESHI nationalism. They work directly against Bangladeshi Nationalism.

This is Mujib's worst legacy.
Old August 15, 2008, 02:28 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Thanks Rabz for the thread. And thanks Billah bhai for making the point clear. I usually refrain from saying those, because I wasn't born at that time. But from what I've heard and read, Billah bhai's post makes the most sense.
Old August 15, 2008, 02:41 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
Obviously, Rabz didn't live the dreadful years of the early '70s under rampaging thugs of the Awami bahinis, and the famine.

Every day was a "black" day during those nightmare years. We were a free, sovereign nation, and Mujib was at the helm, with all the power and authority a mortal could attain on earth. Too kind, too loose, too generous. Although, I think fate puts people in places and times for a reason. I doubt if it were ever possible to unite all of East Pakistan without such a leadership.

Mujib's biggest success is the creation of Bangladesh.
Mujib's biggest failure: Inability to identify "BANGLADESHI NATIONALISM"

Even today, the Awamis, under the direct order and direction of India, actively tries to dilute, disregard and misdirect the idea of BANGLADESHI nationalism. They work directly against Bangladeshi Nationalism.

This is Mujib's worst legacy.
And, the identifier of "Bangladeshi Nationalism" gave us Zia and his family. Thanks, but No Thanks.
Old August 15, 2008, 02:44 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

as with many other men, they have their flaws.

all should be greatful for his leadership capabilities which gifted us a country to call our own.

he may have been a criminal, but his one act, did so much for so many.

sorry but i can't type in bangla, but this is one of the more poignant civil rights lines i've ever heard (right alongside Malcolm's "...by any means necessary."

"rokto jokhon diyechhi, rokto aro dibo"

#OneTeam1Dream
Old August 15, 2008, 03:13 PM
Cricket Guru

Its sad that this particular day, the 15th of August, when we should just pay respect to his departed soul, but instead, some of us indulge in highlighting his failures. Bangladesh was freed not only as a separate entity geographically from Pakistan, but, ideologically as well from the idea of Pakistan. Many of us in actuality never divorced themselves from the idea of Pakistan. That is the root cause of their resentment. Had Bangabondhu been a success in post independence era, they would have found another matter to harp about.
Old August 15, 2008, 03:19 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
"rokto jokhon diyechhi, rokto aro dibo"
kintu moshari tangabo na!
Old August 15, 2008, 04:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
Its sad that this particular day, the 15th of August, when we should just pay respect to his departed soul, but instead, some of us indulge in highlighting his failures. Bangladesh was freed not only as a separate entity geographically from Pakistan, but, ideologically as well from the idea of Pakistan. Many of us in actuality never divorced themselves from the idea of Pakistan. That is the root cause of their resentment. Had Bangabondhu been a success in post independence era, they would have found another matter to harp about.
Yeah - why is that? Why do we keep on highlighting his failures? Especially since he did not have any ?

Divorce themselves from the idea of Pakistan - I know the jamaaties never did. How about the non jamaatis ? Why do they like Pakistan so much - cause the women are prettier ? Cause they have decendents from Horoppa ? Cause they like/love Imran Khan ? Cause there airforce has F-16 s and our don't ? Cause they have colder/milder weather ? Cause Bangladesh gives them an inferiority complex ? Cause they like the more mellifluous urdu ? Cause they play better squash ?
Old August 15, 2008, 04:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Had Bangabondhu been a success in post independence era, they would have found another matter to harp about.
Ooooh man...just got trapped their.

Had he been MORE successful, you should argue.

....I would have criticized Sheikh Hasina more. Not a capable offspring, relative to his achievements.
Old August 15, 2008, 04:38 PM
Banned

It appears that both Zia and Mujib's sons looted Bangladesh...and inflation adjusted, to the same amount.

They perpetuated different kinds of vice...one of the corporate type, the other of the state police type.

But there is one BIG DIFFERENCE...who can point that out here?

Old August 15, 2008, 04:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Its sad that this particular day, the 15th of August
Are you as sad as kalida zia, now, as Antora pointed out?

Old August 15, 2008, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
And, the identifier of "Bangladeshi Nationalism" gave us Zia and his family. Thanks, but No Thanks.
Bangladeshi Nationalism is the most essential component of being a Bangladeshi.

Today, due the heavy propaganda by the Awamis, many Bangladeshis are ashamed about their nationalism. Yes, late Zia branded the concept with his party, but we should be well advised to be proud of our nationalism regardless of BNP. If we are not proud to be Bangladeshi Nationalists, then we have fallen victim to India-led propaganda campaign.

If you personally don't like the idea of Nationalism/Bangladeshi Nationalism, I suppose it's ok. You are entitled to your opinion. Tarek Zia is not the "identifier" of Bangladeshi Nationalism.

Although any nation should say "Yes, Thank you" with gratitude for a leader such as Zia.
Old August 15, 2008, 06:53 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

By now, I'm one of the older member of the board (by age that is) and when I hear the name Sheik Mujib the picture I get is of a dead person who's name some people use to gain unfair advantage. So does the name Zia, just for the record. Question is, do we really have to compare them? They did their share of good and bad things, but lets make a short list of how much effect they had.

Mujib:
organized the country to a point that it become aware of its rights and sovereignty. However, I get the feeling that given the situation of how we were treated in every aspect by pakistanis, it was already a load of gun powder. mujib did the important role of a flame to ignite it. He had the personality to impress people and unite them for something that they already wanted. not a hard thing to do when you have a gifted personality like him.

now look at the post '71 era. he was as much failure as president as he was a success as an opposition leader. people was ready to follow him to make a great country. he failed misarably. not only that he forever ruined the hope for the country to stand up by forgiving the rajakars. what was he affriad of? then the misary of the people. he could not do anything.

still, even after all his bad deeds, he still have a lot of countribution in our indipendence. we should remember that on this black day, and should not make arguments agaisnt it or show disrespect to him. (then again, if someone does, don't blame that person, blame his daughter and his party people for that).

now think about Zia. he did not have the pre 71 contribution to the bengali movement, but has active contribution on our war where Mujib had zero contribution. not only that he was way more successful in giving people some rare good days to bangladeshi people. however, how did he get there? by killing anyone who was on his way. and, if someone ask me if I can leave only one thing for my kid, what it would be, I would say a 'broken suitcase'. bottom line, he did bad things and made his family reach, but at least he did not forget the ordinary people, that Mujib, khaleda, ershad or hasina did as president/prime minister.
Old August 15, 2008, 07:01 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
Bangladeshi Nationalism is the most essential component of being a Bangladeshi.

Today, due the heavy propaganda by the Awamis, many Bangladeshis are ashamed about their nationalism. Yes, late Zia branded the concept with his party, but we should be well advised to be proud of our nationalism regardless of BNP. If we are not proud to be Bangladeshi Nationalists, then we have fallen victim to India-led propaganda campaign.

If you personally don't like the idea of Nationalism/Bangladeshi Nationalism, I suppose it's ok. You are entitled to your opinion. Tarek Zia is not the "identifier" of Bangladeshi Nationalism.

Although any nation should say "Yes, Thank you" with gratitude for a leader such as Zia.
It is not the most essential component.

History suggest as well that any brand of Nationalism , no matter how small in the beginning, inevitably leads to right-wing jingoism. BNP surely had its evil bed fellows ( Jamat namely )that started with the forceful capture of state power by Zia, and whose legacy continued with Ershad, to the last two terms of BNP rule. Bangladesh was born to escape the narrow minded nationalism of Pakistan. No Awami league supporter need a lecture from BNP/Jamat in that regard.

No Bangladeshi I know or hang out with are ashamed of their nationality. I am not sure what kind of crowd you hang out with.

I don't like the idea or the brand of Senior Zia's nationalism. It's basically the flip side of the Jamati coin. And yes, its ok with me I suppose, if you follow and support it. You are entitled off course. No question about that.

And, I have zero respect for Zia, his wife ( is it his wife really ? ) or the thugs they produced..
Old August 15, 2008, 07:15 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Yeah - why is that? Why do we keep on highlighting his failures? Especially since he did not have any ?

Divorce themselves from the idea of Pakistan - I know the jamaaties never did. How about the non jamaatis ? Why do they like Pakistan so much - cause the women are prettier ? Cause they have decendents from Horoppa ? Cause they like/love Imran Khan ? Cause there airforce has F-16 s and our don't ? Cause they have colder/milder weather ? Cause Bangladesh gives them an inferiority complex ? Cause they like the more mellifluous urdu ? Cause they play better squash ?

I don't know why. You ask yourself that. Never said he had no failures. He had failures a plenty as a ruler.

I am supposed to answer those weird unrelated matters regarding Pakistan? You seem to have quite a list. I will try. Women, however, are pretty. You meant descendants? Harappa and Mohenjo-Daro? I don't think that lineage survived after the Aryan onslaught into the Sun-Continent. Imran was a great cricketer. One of the greatest of all time. F-16's without parts are piece of expensive metal. Colder weather? Not all Pakistan is in Kashmir or across the Karakoram. Heard about Sindh, Baluchistan? Its primarily desert. Its hot in deserts, if you didn't know. Bangladesh never gave me inferiority complex. I can't speak for you. Nothing against urdu as a language. its quite poetic. They "played" good squash. Jahangir and Jansher, no more.

Any more questions? After all its not everyday that I get a chance to educate a Pundit..
Old August 15, 2008, 08:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
It is not the most essential component.

1. History suggest as well that any brand of Nationalism , no matter how small in the beginning, inevitably leads to right-wing jingoism.

BNP surely had its

2. evil bed fellows ( Jamat namely )that started with the

3. forceful capture of state power by Zia
, and whose legacy continued with Ershad, to the last two terms of BNP rule. Bangladesh was born to escape the

4. narrow minded nationalism of Pakistan. No Awami league supporter need a lecture from BNP/Jamat in that regard.

No Bangladeshi I know or hang out with are ashamed of their nationality. I am not sure what kind of crowd you hang out with.

I don't like the idea or the brand of Senior Zia's nationalism. It's basically the flip side of the Jamati coin. And yes, its ok with me I suppose, if you follow and support it. You are entitled off course. No question about that.

5.And, I have zero respect for Zia, his wife ( is it his wife really ? ) or the thugs they produced..
1. We have, in my opinion, about a few decades of catching up to do with identifying ourselves as "BANGLADESHI", and reap the rich benefits of national pride, before worrying about the "evils" of them. This type of negatives against nationalism are always fed to the so-called intellectuals of the "Colonies" by the super powers. Super powers, that are the most egotistically nationalists themselves. By being Bangladeshi Nationalists, we have everything to gain, and nothing to lose - my opinion.

2. During August of 1971, when the great freedom fight for our nation of Bangladesh was going on, Awamis had Rao Forman Ali, the paki puppet as their bed fellows. So intense their greed for power, they did an election with the paki bastard ! 70 + awami traitors got elected as MPs - in 1971 ! Awamis have a history of making bedfellows with just about ANYONE - even today Hacheena says she would do ANYTHING to come to power. Imagine, doing election, even that with the pakis, during the war of 1971. Many of those traitors later became MPs in Bangladesh.

3. This one is just historical mis-information. I suggest that you read, research and find out what actually happened. Retired military personnel, as I found out, are good source of first hand account of the proceedings during the events of 1975. "Forceful capture of state power by Zia" is astonishingly misinformed. Never happened.

4. paki politics, as history would guide you, played heavily of paki brand of Islamism. They used and still use today, religion as the de-facto credo. This has become their twisted nationalism. They caused immense suffering on us, in this unnatural kind of state, in the name of religious nationalism. Their leaders pocketed all the Muslim votes from Bengal to consolidate their political position. Then, they dished out the raw end of the deal to us. Many pakis still think that we are all Hindus(they think that "Hindu" as a derogatory term). This was not so when they had to call us brothers, when their leaders needed the votes from the Muslim league. paki "nationalism", on the other hand, is a totally screwed up thing....not even any two province see each other as equals in pakistan, it seems.

It seems to me, Awamis won't know Bangladeshi Nationalism even it hits them on their faces. Awamis today would shake hand with the devil in the blink of an eye, if that means they get a shot to power. Just before one-eleven, Hacheena signed treaty with the worst of a Jamati faction. Nationalistic pride is so sorely missing with this party. Nationalism will be needed to take this party to the next generation. Presently, the party is full of people that hungry for power, greedy for money and are just too ambitious to do just about anything for those things.

The young men and women that are in their growing age in Bangladesh today, have more of an acute sense of being a Bangladeshi. They simply mimic the nationalistic emotions of other citizens of other countries of the world. Their reality is indeed "BANGLADESH". Their nationalism is an everyday fact of waking up in an independent, sovereign land that they can call their own. They don't have loyalty factors, like the Jamaatis have for the pakis, or the awamis have for the Indians.

5. I do not talk of Mujib or Zia in this manner, nor do I condone it. Some personal issues you have may be? It's ok, don't wanna know.

Last edited by billah; August 15, 2008 at 08:36 PM..