facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 21, 2008, 11:21 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ashraful, Tamim & Junaid
Default New Zealand’s Great Escape

New Zealand’s Great Escape

Despite a magnificent fight back from BD Tigers New Zealand got away with an improbable victory courtesy an outstanding performance from Captain Vettori both with bat and ball and well supported by D J Redmond , DR Flynn .Bangladesh was thus deprived of what would have been a well deserved victory.

Congrats to New Zealand for an improbable win - A great Escape from defeat!

Hats off to BD Tigers for great Individual and Team effort!

Their has been several positives that we may feel proud of and which I think may be worthwhile mentioning here.

Saqib’s brilliant all round performance with both bat and ball and a memorable catch.

What a match Saqib had.

One of those rare occasions in the History of BD Cricket when we were able to produce consistent batting performance both in the first and second innings . Their was no batting collapse in either innings.

We were able to extend the match to a five day against a quality opposition.

In the first innings we had the upper hand having skittled New Zealand for a mere 171 runs.

Several fighting innings with the bat both in First and second innings.

Mehrab and Rahim’s fighting knocks in the first and Saqib and Mashrafe’s in the second is worth its weight in gold.

Invaluable contributions from tailenders – Mashrafe, Razaq and Shahadat enabled BD to extend lead to 316 runs One could not have asked better.

Debutante Naeem’s performance though nothing spectacular was reasonably well with both bat and ball and had sent a strong message to the Team management that he has in him test material that augurs well for Bangladesh . Here Bagh Mama(LOL!) has to be appreciated for his selectorial wisdom.
Captaincywise Ash did pretty well .However his string of poor scores with the bat is a matter of great concern for team management.

On the downside we missed a quality test spinner that would have been handy. Hence Rafiq or Enamul Haq Jr’s absence was greatly felt – some food for thought for Bagh Mama and his selection Committee members about the recomposition of team for second test.

Both Ash and Zunaed had a string of poor scores.

They need to click in the second test.

I would think three changes may be considered for the second test : Imrul for Zunaed, Robin for Shahadat and Raqibul if fit for Rajin Saleh .

We have finally set a test standard for us.

Goal : We came very close to pull up a victory.

With some changes in team compositions as mentioned above we should strive for a Victory.

We are almost getting there.

March on BD Tigers.

Last edited by ehteshamul; October 22, 2008 at 05:59 AM..

Old October 22, 2008, 12:52 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

imrul is impossible to make test debut this series.why not nafis iqbal?
Old October 22, 2008, 12:58 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Great thread... the amount of absolute crap threads going around on BC is just disgraceful atm. Thank goodness for lifting the standard.

Dont like ur changes though: I say keep Zunaid and Rajib. Assuming Rakibul is not fit to play, drop Rajin and bring in either Mahmudullah or Imrul. But that wont happen either. Imrul is probably too young in any case
Old October 22, 2008, 01:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Good read. Although technically our top order collapsed in both innings. The difference this time was that we were able tor recover, instead of scoring like 85 allout.
Old October 22, 2008, 04:35 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Good read. We had more positives than the negatives from this Test. Although, the negatives were very irritating and proved to be very decisive in the outcome of the match.

The non performance of Ashraful with the bat and his defensive captaining, especially, not attacking the new batsmen at the crease with slips and attacking fields was fatal. Tigers need to learn how to grab the bull by its horn when the opportunity provide itself. Instead of allowing the new opposition batsmen settling down, every efforts should be made to get them out. The mentality of containing the opposition like in the ODI should have been the thing of the past by now! Yes, we missed a wicket taking bowlers like Rafique or a Enamul sorely. Anyhow- all in all- it was a great see-saw Test battle and the deserving team came out as the worthy winners. The black caps and, especially, their captain needs to be saluted for their professionalism, determination and grits.

Hopefully, this was the coming of age for Shakib. What a match he had! Its a shame that he didnt have a genuine wicket taking bowler to bowl with in tendum. Razzak did okay (second innings) with containg the runs but Test cricket is all about taking 20 wickets. Mehrab and Mushfiq should be applauded for their first innings heroics with the bat. They applied themselves and showed temperament, grit and willingness for a fight instead of capitulation which we are so used to see from our batters. They have set a standard. Hopefully, other BD bats will take notice and pay heed.

Finally and hopefully this is not yet another one step forward and three steps backward case for the Tigers. Now, Come on and win that second Test, boys! You have got it!
Old October 22, 2008, 07:33 PM
Banned

Default Excellent Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
Good read. We had more positives than the negatives from this Test. Although, the negatives were very irritating and proved to be very decisive in the outcome of the match.

The non performance of Ashraful with the bat and his defensive captaining, especially, not attacking the new batsmen at the crease with slips and attacking fields was fatal. Tigers need to learn how to grab the bull by its horn when the opportunity provide itself. Instead of allowing the new opposition batsmen settling down, every efforts should be made to get them out. The mentality of containing the opposition like in the ODI should have been the thing of the past by now! Yes, we missed a wicket taking bowlers like Rafique or a Enamul sorely. Anyhow- all in all- it was a great see-saw Test battle and the deserving team came out as the worthy winners. The black caps and, especially, their captain needs to be saluted for their professionalism, determination and grits.

Hopefully, this was the coming of age for Shakib. What a match he had! Its a shame that he didnt have a genuine wicket taking bowler to bowl with in tendum. Razzak did okay (second innings) with containg the runs but Test cricket is all about taking 20 wickets. Mehrab and Mushfiq should be applauded for their first innings heroics with the bat. They applied themselves and showed temperament, grit and willingness for a fight instead of capitulation which we are so used to see from our batters. They have set a standard. Hopefully, other BD bats will take notice and pay heed.

Finally and hopefully this is not yet another one step forward and three steps backward case for the Tigers. Now, Come on and win that second Test, boys! You have got it!

Excellent Analysis.

I appreciate your inputs and insights.

Cheers!
Old October 22, 2008, 07:37 PM
Banned

Default Good observation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib
Good read. Although technically our top order collapsed in both innings. The difference this time was that we were able tor recover, instead of scoring like 85 allout.
Thanks for the appreciation.

You are spot on in your observations.
Old October 22, 2008, 09:13 PM
Test Cricketer

I think Ash is nearing the end of his career, if he does not perform in the 2nd test and in the SA series. Other than being the youngest test centurion he will have the record for test batsman whose best performance was the very first test innings he played. Everyone will forget his 158 against India...

But I still like many others feel that Ash is the most visible BD cricketer and pray that he scores Fifty in each innings in the 2nd test and he gets his form back in SA averaging somewhat 40+ runs
Old October 23, 2008, 02:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
imrul is impossible to make test debut this series.why not nafis iqbal?
Because he's not in the squad.
Old October 23, 2008, 02:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradhon
I think Ash is nearing the end of his career, if he does not perform in the 2nd test and in the SA series. Other than being the youngest test centurion he will have the record for test batsman whose best performance was the very first test innings he played. Everyone will forget his 158 against India...

But I still like many others feel that Ash is the most visible BD cricketer and pray that he scores Fifty in each innings in the 2nd test and he gets his form back in SA averaging somewhat 40+ runs
If he doesn't raise that average in his own country, it'll be VERY hard for him to raise it over in South Africa. God knows what'll happen to this guy. I still think he's the best choice of captain - we've basically ruined his career, and we should just stick to ruining his for a while, until the next player is ready.
Old October 23, 2008, 04:22 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_king
If he doesn't raise that average in his own country, it'll be VERY hard for him to raise it over in South Africa. God knows what'll happen to this guy. I still think he's the best choice of captain - we've basically ruined his career, and we should just stick to ruining his for a while, until the next player is ready.
lol that's a good one!
Old October 23, 2008, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Inzamam, Michael, Ricky, Daniel. What do these men have in common?
Old October 23, 2008, 09:27 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Inzi, Ricky may have something in common. Daniel has nothing to be par with them. Those two had a great team surrounding them. Once the escape was made there was no looking back. Not this time baby!! Daniel, the unlucky one. Dholai tumi khabai baba. agey ar poray ei ar ki.
+++
Great read. All of the posts.

Ash out, Raqib in. That is the only change I and coach Siddons would make. However, we are not the one making decisions. Desperately Ash needs to sit out a series or two. For the sake of BD cricket and himself.
Old October 23, 2008, 12:07 PM
Club Cricketer

I must admit that like many of you I did think that we were sure to win this one after day three….but then again that's me. As an ardent fan, I always dream of winning each time the Tigers are playing. fficeffice" />

This griping test was truly a thrilling experience for me, the sea-saw proceedings over the five days which pressed on down to last session of the last day was truly exhaustive. I enjoyed it but in the end walked away with a heavy heart, disenchanted, defeated......

I was content with the TIGER's overall performance ; Merhab (1st innings), Mushi, and Shakib in the 2nd innings batted well, Tamim had good starts but couldn’t convert (but I think he will come back) Shakib had a colossal game, and I hope he can perform like this at a consistent basis. I also thought that Ash led the team to their demise in the end, once again his performance with the bat stood out as a sore thumb in this close defeat. Zunaid really needs to score some runs for the team. Even though it was the first game for the national side after a long time, Rajin needs to put out much better scores than what he did if wants to be a regular in the team.

I think it is the experience (or lack of) that got us again, we just don't know how to defend a wining total, or even chase one down for that matter. I suppose it comes with wining a few test matches. However, if we continue to play like this, I believe we will come out victorious….as we get seasoned eventually. Clearly we were lacking an experienced captain with a cool head to lead this very young team to a tight win. In my opinion intelligence and experience was the difference and Vettori just solidified that notion. They snatched it away from us when we were approaching the finish line……..we just couldn't hold on. But this should have strengthened out teams cricketing temperament.

I suppose a win is a win, so well done KIWIs for hard fought win. They just added this match to the BD fans list of "another one that got away".

Below are the three times (since I started watching cricket) BD were clearly ahead in the entire test except for the last day when the opposition captain single handedly took the game away from us. A true captain's knock by leading from the front, the very reason one is selected to be the captain of a team. Sad but true that we have a dim-witted captain who is just simply weak and obtuse.

Lost to NZ by 1 wicket in Multan(CDS) ( 3 Sep 2003) Test # 1658
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/64045.html

Lost to NZ by 3 wickets in Chittagong (CDS) ( 17 Oct 2008) Test # 1888
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/361758.html

Lost to ffice:smarttags" />Australia by 3 wickets in Fatullah ( 9 Apr 2006) Test # 1797
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/238171.html

Great cricket by the BD Tigers, but if we don’t put out a better performance than the last one in the next game then it will be forgotten again as one of them rare one of sparks. The critics will be back again backing their case as to how Bangladesh does not deserve to be in the Test arena. We must go one better than the last test ..…

And for the Tigers, take a day off to get this off your mind. Come back and train hard, go into the final test believing you can win.

GO TIGERS.............
Old October 23, 2008, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

এহতেশামুল ভাই, আপনার লেখা পড়ে চোখ ভিঁজে গেল। এক ইপিয়াসের নিপুন চতুরতায় যেমন ট্রয়ের দেয়াল ভেদ করে ঢুকে পড়েছিল স্পার্টানেরা, ঠিক তেমনি আজ এক ভট্টাচার্য্যের নেতৃত্বে আমাদের রক্ষণ দেয়াল ভেঙ্গে চুরমার হয়ে গেল। স্পার্টানদের মতই হয়তো কিউইদের এই বড় জয়ের পর চরম ধ্বংসের সম্মুক্ষীন হতে হবে, কিন্তু পরের কথা পরে। সাকিব-রাজ্জাক-নায়ীমের ঘুর্ণিঝড় উপেক্ষা করে ভট্টাচার্য্য যেভাবে তীর থেকে আমাদের তরী ডুবিয়ে দিল, সেই দুঃখ কিন্তু সহজে ভুলবার নয়।

আজ আমি কাঁদব। বালিশ ভিঁজিয়ে কাঁদব। বিছানার চাঁদর চোখের জ্বলে চুবিয়ে চুবিয়ে কাঁদব। কাঁদতে কাঁদতে নয়ন জোড়া রক্তাক্ত করে ফেলব। বন্যা হবে আমার ঘরে।

কিন্তু কাল আমি কাঁদব না। কাল আমি ঘরের পানি ঝাঁড়ু দিয়ে পরিস্কার করব। কারন কাল যখন আশরাফুল ঝাঁড়ু মেরে জিরু বানিয়ে দিবে নিউজীল্যান্ডের হতচ্ছারা বোলারদের, সেই ঝাঁড়ুর গর্জনে পুনর্জাগরণ হবে আমার। হাজার হোক আশরাফুলের ঝাঁড়ুর ঘা হ্যারী পটারের ঝাঁড়ুর চাইতে অধিক হিংস্র।
Old October 23, 2008, 04:27 PM
Banned

এ টি এম আর: আপনের ভাইষ্য পইরা আমারই কান্দন আইতাছে...

Quote:
Originally Posted by asifthemanrahman
এহতেশামুল ভাই, আপনার লেখা পড়ে চোখ ভিঁজে গেল। এক ইপিয়াসের নিপুন চতুরতায় যেমন ট্রয়ের দেয়াল ভেদ করে ঢুকে পড়েছিল স্পার্টানেরা, ঠিক তেমনি আজ এক ভট্টাচার্য্যের নেতৃত্বে আমাদের রক্ষণ দেয়াল ভেঙ্গে চুরমার হয়ে গেল। স্পার্টানদের মতই হয়তো কিউইদের এই বড় জয়ের পর চরম ধ্বংসের সম্মুক্ষীন হতে হবে, কিন্তু পরের কথা পরে। সাকিব-রাজ্জাক-নায়ীমের ঘুর্ণিঝড় উপেক্ষা করে ভট্টাচার্য্য যেভাবে তীর থেকে আমাদের তরী ডুবিয়ে দিল, সেই দুঃখ কিন্তু সহজে ভুলবার নয়।

আজ আমি কাঁদব। বালিশ ভিঁজিয়ে কাঁদব। বিছানার চাঁদর চোখের জ্বলে চুবিয়ে চুবিয়ে কাঁদব। কাঁদতে কাঁদতে নয়ন জোড়া রক্তাক্ত করে ফেলব। বন্যা হবে আমার ঘরে।

কিন্তু কাল আমি কাঁদব না। কাল আমি ঘরের পানি ঝাঁড়ু দিয়ে পরিস্কার করব। কারন কাল যখন আশরাফুল ঝাঁড়ু মেরে জিরু বানিয়ে দিবে নিউজীল্যান্ডের হতচ্ছারা বোলারদের, সেই ঝাঁড়ুর গর্জনে পুনর্জাগরণ হবে আমার। হাজার হোক আশরাফুলের ঝাঁড়ুর ঘা হ্যারী পটারের ঝাঁড়ুর চাইতে অধিক হিংস্র।
Old October 23, 2008, 05:17 PM
Test Cricketer

Lost to PAK by 1 wicket in Multan(CDS) ( 3 Sep 2003) Test # 1658
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/stat...tch/64045.html

that's the closest we ever went..two great bowlers made us proud: Khaled Mahmud and Rafiq. I do admire them for their precious contribution to BD cricket.

Last edited by tiger_club; October 23, 2008 at 05:24 PM..
Old October 23, 2008, 05:25 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_club
Lost to PAK by 1 wicket in Multan(CDS) ( 3 Sep 2003) Test # 1658
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/stat...tch/64045.html

that's the closest we ever went..two great bowlers made us proud: Khaled Mahmud and Rafiq. I do admire them for their precious contribution to BD cricket.
Rajin played real good in both innings. Hope he repeat in again in Dhaka this time.
Old October 23, 2008, 05:29 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Inzamam, Michael, Ricky, Daniel. What do these men have in common?
Michael who? Hussey, Clarke, Bevan
Old October 23, 2008, 05:34 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Alhamdulillah! what a sharat chandra among us!
Old October 23, 2008, 05:38 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zia
Rajin played real good in both innings. Hope he repeat in again in Dhaka this time.
Yup, this fella got patience and can make the new ball go out of shape quickly.. I hope he shines with the bat this time..
Old October 23, 2008, 10:10 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: SAKIB AL HASAN

I watched all three match almost ball by ball.but I think last match was not that close other two.in futuallah and multan we were in full control on fifth day but in Chittagong newzeland were full conrol on last day.our bowlers were not penetrative enough and pitch suprising played than other days
Old October 23, 2008, 11:10 PM
Test Cricketer

very true.. when they were 145/2 on day 4, we lost the match since then and couldn't recover from it but I had feelings, they will bounce back with the new ball which played very little in favour of the tigers..
Old October 24, 2008, 04:29 AM
Banned

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoilaheez
Great thread... the amount of absolute crap threads going around on BC is just disgraceful atm. Thank goodness for lifting the standard.

Dont like ur changes though: I say keep Zunaid and Rajib. Assuming Rakibul is not fit to play, drop Rajin and bring in either Mahmudullah or Imrul. But that wont happen either. Imrul is probably too young in any case

Thanks for the appreciation and inputs.

Good observations
Old October 24, 2008, 05:08 AM
Banned

Default Rajin - Mt Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_club
Yup, this fella got patience and can make the new ball go out of shape quickly.. I hope he shines with the bat this time..
Rajin is a good option of No 3 position for BD for tests. He is definitely Mr Patience of BD.

His first innings knock of 20 in 129 balls at SR of 15.50 is a good indication of his patience to stay at the wicket for a good amount of time