facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 8, 2012, 12:07 PM
al Furqaan's Avatar
al Furqaan al Furqaan is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: February 18, 2004
Location: New York City
Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Posts: 20,318
Default Who Says This Isn't the Full Strength WI Team?

Forget the fact that Shakib was out of lineup and that one of our best seamers was injured (Nazmul), but why does a WI team that has Gayle, Narine, Bravo Jr think they're not at full strength?

Ramdin? He's got an ODI average less than the great Sir Ashraful's. Johnson who? How is a player no one has ever heard of, with a teenage average to boot a member of a "full strength" anything.

Bravo Sr is about the only legitimate pick, but even then, when was the last time he played for the WI? How many matches has he won? He's got a batting average of just 24, a bowling average above 30, and isn't express enough to trouble us like a Roach or Best.
__________________
Bangladesh is a stronger team with Shakib al Hasan.
Bangladesh is a stronger team without Shakib al Hasan.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old December 8, 2012, 12:11 PM
Sovik's Avatar
Sovik Sovik is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: August 17, 2005
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara
Posts: 9,241

It's their full strength team. I don't think anyone would deny that
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old December 8, 2012, 12:16 PM
One World's Avatar
One World One World is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: May 18, 2005
Location: Queens
Posts: 16,559

It was full strength WIndies without any doubt.
__________________
Human mind has all the power, when your mind is grind grit wins the battle. Go Bangladesh. Be the world number one in Test Ranking.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old December 8, 2012, 12:18 PM
Habib's Avatar
Habib Habib is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: August 30, 2007
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Favorite Player: A few
Posts: 7,311

It was their full strength team and we are better ODI team than them at home.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old December 8, 2012, 12:27 PM
crikss's Avatar
crikss crikss is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: May 15, 2007
Posts: 2,472

where you read this wasn't WI full strength team ?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old December 8, 2012, 12:38 PM
Habib's Avatar
Habib Habib is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: August 30, 2007
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Favorite Player: A few
Posts: 7,311

In fact, we were without Shakib the whole series! Mash couldn't play today! Had 4 frikkin debutants on the top of that! Our head coach was just a temporary one! It's us who weren't at full strength, not WI.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old December 8, 2012, 12:39 PM
Dilscoop Dilscoop is offline
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC
 
Join Date: March 22, 2010
Location: @Dilcommissioner
Posts: 10,760

We played without Mash today. We also basically played w/o Tamim through out the whole series.
__________________
Always doing Zeeshan's threads a favor.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old December 8, 2012, 12:49 PM
Tiger Manc's Avatar
Tiger Manc Tiger Manc is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: November 2, 2009
Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo
Posts: 4,452

In the first 2 ODIs we played with 4 debutants and a player coming back after a long time out ( Naeem Islam). So basically half our team were newbies from the Asia Cup team and still we thrashed the Windies.

The claims that Windies were not full strength because they missed Ramdin and Johnson are laughable. As far as I'm aware in the case of Ramdin he wasn't selected. Only Dwayne Bravo was missing but we missed Shakib al Hasan so it evens itself out.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old December 8, 2012, 12:54 PM
Dilscoop Dilscoop is offline
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC
 
Join Date: March 22, 2010
Location: @Dilcommissioner
Posts: 10,760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Manc
Only Dwayne Bravo was missing but we missed Shakib al Hasan so it evens itself out.
Bull. DJB isn't even half the player that Shakib is.
__________________
Always doing Zeeshan's threads a favor.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old December 8, 2012, 12:57 PM
zman's Avatar
zman zman is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: January 20, 2005
Posts: 1,625

Ans- only someone who doesn't really understand cricket
__________________
MOTIVATION - Few things inspire us to soar quite like being really f***ed if we don't (Avatar caption)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old December 8, 2012, 01:00 PM
kalpurush's Avatar
kalpurush kalpurush is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: June 7, 2005
Location: Victoria: Heaven's Earth!
Posts: 16,981

Got the series - what matters! ):
__________________
> Start slow. Build a base. Then explode.
> I needed to perform so that I could give my countrymen an occasion to cherish and be proud of - Ice Man
> My photographs @ flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/obayedh/
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old December 8, 2012, 01:00 PM
shakibrulz's Avatar
shakibrulz shakibrulz is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 10, 2010
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Posts: 4,327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
Bull. DJB isn't even half the player that Shakib is.
Yep, consistency-wise anyway. He might play the odd epic knock, but that's it. As for the Bowling, no comparison, I don't want to insult Shak here.

Anyhow winning without Shak, Mash and 3 debutants, massive.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old December 8, 2012, 01:04 PM
Kohli_Sox Kohli_Sox is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: May 30, 2012
Posts: 1,302

It's definitely a full strength W.I. side; people who are denying this just want to find excuse and nothing else
__________________
I think Cricket should be played in shorts and not trousers
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old December 8, 2012, 01:08 PM
mij mij is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: September 21, 2004
Location: London, UK
Posts: 2,480

only bangladesh hater will say that
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old December 8, 2012, 01:20 PM
WindieFan WindieFan is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: September 12, 2012
Posts: 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Forget the fact that Shakib was out of lineup and that one of our best seamers was injured (Nazmul), but why does a WI team that has Gayle, Narine, Bravo Jr think they're not at full strength?

Ramdin? He's got an ODI average less than the great Sir Ashraful's. Johnson who? How is a player no one has ever heard of, with a teenage average to boot a member of a "full strength" anything.

Bravo Sr is about the only legitimate pick, but even then, when was the last time he played for the WI? How many matches has he won? He's got a batting average of just 24, a bowling average above 30, and isn't express enough to trouble us like a Roach or Best.
You can try and downplay it but the facts remain that Ramdin, Charles and Bravo ALL PLAYED in our last odi series which was against NZ and we won it 4-1, they were also part of the WORLD CUP winning team, so you can mock their stats all you like, but the truth is at international level they've won more than every Bangladesh player thats ever played the game,

Furthermore i don't know how people can claim "it's our best team" when both Powell and Permaul made their debuts in this series and haven't played an odi before now!! .
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old December 8, 2012, 01:24 PM
One World's Avatar
One World One World is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: May 18, 2005
Location: Queens
Posts: 16,559

Actually this was third string Bangladesh team, with four debutants, Tamim out of form and Shakib totally out of series. Happy?
__________________
Human mind has all the power, when your mind is grind grit wins the battle. Go Bangladesh. Be the world number one in Test Ranking.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old December 8, 2012, 01:24 PM
WindieFan WindieFan is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: September 12, 2012
Posts: 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Manc
In the first 2 ODIs we played with 4 debutants and a player coming back after a long time out ( Naeem Islam). So basically half our team were newbies from the Asia Cup team and still we thrashed the Windies.

The claims that Windies were not full strength because they missed Ramdin and Johnson are laughable. As far as I'm aware in the case of Ramdin he wasn't selected. Only Dwayne Bravo was missing but we missed Shakib al Hasan so it evens itself out.
Not true, with all due respect they rested him because we wasn't playing one of the big sides and they wanted to give Thomas more experience.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old December 8, 2012, 01:27 PM
Roey Haque's Avatar
Roey Haque Roey Haque is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 26, 2012
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Posts: 1,778

Good post Furqaan. I bet this Windies team will give many other sides problems. Dwayne was the only piece they were missing. Sammy is one bad mother. His coolness alone gives you the skeevies.
__________________
His excellency, Shere Bangla, descendent of Tipu Sultan, the Uniter of the Two Bengals, the Wily Bengali, the prince of all things cool, I present you Roey Haque the 1st.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old December 8, 2012, 02:05 PM
MyRoom MyRoom is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: November 17, 2012
Location: London, UK
Favorite Player: Shakib and Anamul
Posts: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindieFan
Not true, with all due respect they rested him because we wasn't playing one of the big sides and they wanted to give Thomas more experience.
Well that backfired! taught your team a lesson to NEVER underestimate us again
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old December 8, 2012, 03:41 PM
zman's Avatar
zman zman is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: January 20, 2005
Posts: 1,625

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindieFan
You can try and downplay it but the facts remain that Ramdin, Charles and Bravo ALL PLAYED in our last odi series which was against NZ and we won it 4-1, they were also part of the WORLD CUP winning team, so you can mock their stats all you like, but the truth is at international level they've won more than every Bangladesh player thats ever played the game,

Furthermore i don't know how people can claim "it's our best team" when both Powell and Permaul made their debuts in this series and haven't played an odi before now!! .
BD played without their best batsman (Shakib), best spinner (Shakib), best pace bowler (Nazmul), player with the best momentum atm (Abul who scored the record breaking century), 2nd best pace bowler (Mashrafi) in the last match-- the list goes on and on. They also debuted four players vs WI's two. If Shakib plays, I guarantee you WI doesn't win a single match in this series.

Speaking of ODI series, most recently we also beat teams like India and Srilanka to reach the finals of the Asia cup, and lost to Pakistan only by 2 runs in the finals. Go back couple years, and we also beat NZ 4-0. Fact is both teams fielded their best available eleven, and Bangladesh is a pretty solid ODI team at home (Can't say the same about tests). So there's no shame in losing to a good home side in a closely contested series.
__________________
MOTIVATION - Few things inspire us to soar quite like being really f***ed if we don't (Avatar caption)

Last edited by zman; December 8, 2012 at 04:28 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old December 8, 2012, 06:28 PM
NoName's Avatar
NoName NoName is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 9, 2011
Location: Sauga
Posts: 2,651

This was one of the most inexperienced sides we have fielded, WI's team was more full strength than ours.
__________________
"Life is a dream from which we all must wake."
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old December 8, 2012, 06:36 PM
al Furqaan's Avatar
al Furqaan al Furqaan is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: February 18, 2004
Location: New York City
Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Posts: 20,318

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindieFan
You can try and downplay it but the facts remain that Ramdin, Charles and Bravo ALL PLAYED in our last odi series which was against NZ and we won it 4-1, they were also part of the WORLD CUP winning team, so you can mock their stats all you like, but the truth is at international level they've won more than every Bangladesh player thats ever played the game,

Furthermore i don't know how people can claim "it's our best team" when both Powell and Permaul made their debuts in this series and haven't played an odi before now!! .
So Suhrawardy and Shahriar played in our 4-0 of NZ and they are still fairly mediocre cricketers.

Charles and Ramdin don't even average 20 with the bat, Bravo doesn't even average 25. We have scrubs like Rajin Saleh who average more than they do. Sure they could have made a difference. But there is also the chance a fellow like Ashraful could have destroyed before we even got to 2-2 had he played. And his Crapness also averages more than Charles and Ramdin.

A guy like Imrul Kayes who can't even hold a bat averages 5 more than Bravo!

__________________
Bangladesh is a stronger team with Shakib al Hasan.
Bangladesh is a stronger team without Shakib al Hasan.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old December 8, 2012, 06:45 PM
Rifat's Avatar
Rifat Rifat is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: March 30, 2007
Location: Connecticut
Favorite Player: Hashim Amla
Posts: 10,528

Windies no doubt had almost a full strength team. Their selectors made some errors(lol) by not selecting inform Chaunderpaul and in-form Tino Best.

other than that, Full credit to Bangladesh for beating any West Indian side. we often under-credit the tigers for that overseas series win in 2009 in West Indies. Reality is, it is not always easy winning overseas, considering Bangladesh is the type of side that often loses to county clubs in England(has happened before) and Indian Domestic teams. (just a reality check to people...)
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old December 8, 2012, 06:47 PM
Rifat's Avatar
Rifat Rifat is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: March 30, 2007
Location: Connecticut
Favorite Player: Hashim Amla
Posts: 10,528

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
So Suhrawardy and Shahriar played in our 4-0 of NZ and they are still fairly mediocre cricketers.

Charles and Ramdin don't even average 20 with the bat, Bravo doesn't even average 25. We have scrubs like Rajin Saleh who average more than they do. Sure they could have made a difference. But there is also the chance a fellow like Ashraful could have destroyed before we even got to 2-2 had he played. And his Crapness also averages more than Charles and Ramdin.

A guy like Imrul Kayes who can't even hold a bat averages 5 more than Bravo!

true that. but let's not forget, both SunnahMan and Nafees had a fantabulous series against NZ in 2010. They may be mediocre players now, but they were totally in-form then.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old December 8, 2012, 07:01 PM
al Furqaan's Avatar
al Furqaan al Furqaan is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: February 18, 2004
Location: New York City
Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Posts: 20,318

LOL...just looked up the tour stats for NZ in WI...

Windies won that series IN SPITE of the crapfest from Bravo Sr, Charles, and Ramdin...no wonder they didn't get picked. Even the worthless DR Smith took a giant dump on their performances.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...=4;type=series

If we had "full strength" WI...we could have swept them 5-0!!!

__________________
Bangladesh is a stronger team with Shakib al Hasan.
Bangladesh is a stronger team without Shakib al Hasan.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket