facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 27, 2004, 12:35 PM
Street Cricketer

Default Strengthen 1st-class cricket & mental strength

First-class cricket should begin prior to the international season in Bangladesh. And players should be selected on their performances in the 1st class competition as opposed to what is happening now, which is U19 players being fast tracked into the national team based on 'promise', which I believe is to their detriment. Kapali & Sarkar are prime examples, too young too soon. The young Bangladeshi cricketers are not the same as the rest of their counterparts in the sub-continent, where 18,19 year olds can come in to make am immediate impact. Their domestic competition is alot stronger & established. Hopefully, given time we will have some like Sehwag and Sami!!
A player's suitability for the national team should not be based on talent alone but mental strength, Mashud is a prime example of someone with an abundance of mental strength. We must be able to compete mentally with the Aussies, Kiwis and the rest. Being nice on the cricket field does not win games, one needs a certain mean streak and bloody mindedness to compete. I play in the Surrey Championship in London and I can asure you once you're on the field its never friendly. One must not confuse this with petulance.